I have a big problem

neko12

I have 1 ? to ask.

1. is about my step dad and his G.S. puppy. well my step dad and I are taking my dog and my step dad dog to O.B. school, but the ? is I have a we have people come in our house and well they tease her and when my dad is tring to train her the kid start teasing her, and will she a playful puppy her is going to go to the play. so my ? is should my step dad put her on a leash and take her everywhere with him. because them teasing her is making her mean to.

What kind of teasing are we talking about?

If they're just playing with the puppy (which is how I'm taking it), the best thing to do is make them part of the training process. For example, if I'm training my puppy, only I give the command. Everyone else is quiet, still and not creating distractions. If my youngest daughter is giving a command, the rest of us are quiet, still and not creating distractions. This works because the kids want to be with the puppy and it will thrill them to be having that kind of interaction with the puppy (they also love giving Jake treats). The main thing I had to do was direct my kids energy from distracting Jake to becoming part of something they find even more rewarding.

neko12

no its not a play tease it where they have a toy and putting the toy over her head and when her try to take it they pull it back there her can't get it. and now her is getting mean. because of it

neko12 said:
no its not a play tease it where they have a toy and putting the toy over her head and when her try to take it they pull it back there her can't get it. and now her is getting mean. because of it
This is just my opinion so please take it in that context:

The kids have to be taught NOT to do that OR they have to be kept separate from the puppy. There's no middle-ground on this. The children may think they're just playing. Guide them into something more productive. Otherwise, they don't get to see the puppy - end of story. This is an issue of training children - not training puppies.

Debi

agreeing with Andrew.........why are the kids even allowed to do this??? It's easier with kids........NO. Shouldn't be a problem, and the puppy should be protected. :)

Agreeing 110% with Andrew and Debi! Not only for the pup's future, but if those kids don't learn how to respect an animal - especially a dog - they're going to be prime candidates to be seriously bitten one day and it will be their own fault and the fault of the parents and other adults who didn't teach them - but the dog that has to bite them in self-defense will be the one that gets punished.

Saje

Island dweller
We had cats growing up and I remember being taught how to be around them. My mom was not tolerant of us brushing them backwards or pulling their hair ever. Not that we tried that much if at all. I just remember being taught not to. And I remember having friends who were just cruel to their pets. I'd try to tell them that's not how they are supposed to play with them but they didn't listen.

Point being. Kids need to be taught. It's not something that comes naturally. And even if it is they still get overly excited around puppies.

I agree completely with Andrew. This is not a problem with the puppy, it's a problem with the kids and they need to be trained! If they can't respect the dog then they can go somewhere else. Period.

Those kids need to get slapped. Anyways, I say you make sure that they never tease your dog again. I think its ridiculous that parents aren't teaching these kids any respect for animals. Thats why animal abuse is becoming such a huge problem. These are the kids that end up teasing the wrong dog and get bit.

schaferhund

Deutscher Schaferhund
Well the problem is not the puppy, it's the kids teasing the puppy. You need to make it plain and clear to the kids that they need to stop, especially that kind of teasing. Once you get a little further into the obedience though, you will definately want to add in some distractions while training. Kids are actually great for distractions, as long as they are not aggravating the dog or being disrespectful to the dog. We use this technique on our two GSD's. We put them in a sit/stay and throw the ball or have the neighbor kids (who they love to play with) try to distract them by calling them or just playing around them. Try teaching your dog the command "leave it". That is a great command to use when there are distractions.

neko12

because we watch the kids and the kids do that to there dog at home so they think its ok to do it at our house and sometimes we don't know about it because they do it we we leave the room.

P.S. sorry for not post for a long time I don't have internet at home only in school

Hi Neko,
Time for new rules when the kids come over. They can't play with the dog unless you or your step-father are supervising AND they can only play games either you or your step-father approve. It isn't their dog so if they don't like it, too bad for them. If you leave the room, make sure the puppy is with you so they don't have the option to torment the puppy when no one is looking.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
most people do not realize the harm that can be done..i had to explain to my grandaughter (she was 4 at the time) how she would not like it if I treated her that way..i had to keep Victor on a leash while I was there becuase he is rowdy and my mother is elderly..Hyia (the girl) whould make sounds and toss about trying to excite Victor while he was in a down and stay position. I told her to come here and let me hold her arm..then i let go of Victor. she didn't like it one bit..and Vic really tossed about the ball and had a grand old time..i told her see...he feels just like you do right now..he is just a little kid like you. I won't say it stopped her from wanting to tease, that is a natural part of being a child..why i don't know..but i hope it did help her see things from his perspective. I have never left my dog in with children that i don't know, or ones that i don't trust..teaching gentleness is something every parent should do, but some just don't. Maybe you can be the one in these children's lives to make a difference..i am sure their dog will thank you.

well when i was attending a ob skool with my dog part of her problem was she would become sooooooo over excited she cud hardly breathe so we needed to teach her that until she sat down she wuld not be petted - rubbed , this was so hard when people came into the hose like kids and would undo the work that me and my family had done SO the trainer said u will need to speak to these people and advise them what to do as its easier to tell a person tha speaks the same landuage as u ! so i totally agree with all of the above comments ! good luck

Doberluv

I agree totally with Andrew. In addition, I don't agree with the poster who said the kids should be slapped. That will only teach them that physical violence is the only way to deal with their problems. You could "clicker train" the kids. If they play and interact with the dog per your instructions and demonstrate that they are willing to learn and act properly, they can be given a treat. LOL.

Members online

No members online now.