Aggressive Angel has to go

Rymer

i'm typing w/one hand so please excuse the grammar here. my 4yr old lab/chow
mix confuses flor washing time w/bath time and took it out on my hand earlier this week. i've missed aweek of work, i'm still looking at some amount of surgery
for nerve and tendon damage, and my fiance' is not at all open to the option of any further training.
my question is in regards to thr dogs options if he can't stay here. i can't simply have him put down. are there any places or organizations who will take dogs ?

I don't understand the situation. What type of aggression does he have? Why did he bite your hand? What does "washing time" mean?

If he's truly so bad that you have to get rid of him, who else is going to want him? He's going to be a tough sell with behavior problems at that age and that breed mix! An open-access shelter would probably put him to sleep. A no kill-shelter will probably turn you away, or if they do take him, he'll likely end up in a cage for several years. Without knowing more of the situation, it doesn't sound like he should be killed though. Talk your fiance into getting further training with a behaviorist.

Saje

Island dweller
I don't understand the situation either.

I agree with homelessdog though.

Can you give more information please.

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
Is he only aggresive when you wash the floor and him? If that's the case can you not shut him out while you're doing this? I'm confused doesn't take much i'm afraid!

Debi

You mention he confuses when you wash the floor to bath time...so obviously he hates a bath. Is that the only time he shows aggression? Has he been biting prior to this once...or is it an isolated incident (which still isn't good...just wondering what set him off) If for whatever reason washing the floor makes him react....why would you do it with him there.......actually, I wonder HOW you do it with him there (I know mine would be sooooo in the way, it wouldn't be worth trying) If you've had him all this time, I wouldn't listen to your fiance....I'd get him help and do anything I could to keep him. Maybe...and I don't mean to sound mean here.........your fiance just wants him gone and is jumping on this as a chance. Hope your hand heals quickly...sounds like it was quite a bite. :(

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
I agree with Debi 100% just keep in mind its not the dogs fault he did that. He needs training and understanding unless he has shown agressive behaviour other then bath time or when your washing the floor then i would call it a problem. But it seems to me like he may just not like water. Have you had him his entire life? Do you know of an other incident where he had a bad experience with water? There are plenty of organizations that will "take dogs" but i would try and work with him despite what your fiance says. If you do end up taking him somewhere make sure there is a NO KILL policy because they will give up on him as well if they find out he has bit. If you can't spend the time to work with him and your fiance really is pressuring you you need to find the safest possible place for him to go and know they will work with him and he can live a happy healthy life somewhere else. Take from me i have been bit many times and all were my fault but i never gave up on any dog. Im not trying to come off mean and im very sorry you got hurt I feel your pain but im just thinking of the dog in the mix.

Rymer

sorry for not being more clear. still not used to using one hand or the medications.
getting the dog into the bath is when he shows aggression (displays teeth). the only other time is when i pay too much attention to his feet. we've never had a bad experience with bathing or nail clipping, but he's always made it very clear that we're going to keep it that way. these are the ONLY two procedures where he has more say than i do. he has to be tricked into the tub but once he's in, he's fine and he's in heaven when the hair dryer comes out. running water into a bucket and moving furniture as i prepared to mop likely made him think a bath was coming. he warned me but i didn't pay attention so now i'm paying for it. a similar situation took place more than 2 years ago but feel that was also my fault. i refuse to have him put down and my fiance is too afraid to keep him around. additional training makes us both feel safer but we don't feel any better about a possible lawsuit or about bringing cildren into our lives.
i wouldn't dare offer him for adoption with the aggression issue and i would put myself down before just putting him in a cage for life.
i'm just looking for anything inbetween the dog staying with us and being put down in case it comes to that.
thanks

what i dont understand, you put water into a bucket to mop the floor, no where near the dog, and you start ,mopping the floor and the dog out right attacked you? for mopping the floor? im unclear on this..is anyone else?

my suggestion, while you are mopping the floor or getting ready to mop the floor put him in a kennel or another room...? again i am still unclear of what is going on here...

you said he warned you?? im confused...as why the dog would just out and attack you while you where mopping the floor???

If those are the only times he's aggressive, around water and nail trimings... why get rid of him?

But, if those are the only triggers, he probably stands a good chance of getting adopted some day. Many no kill shelters will let you bring the dog to adoption events but still take him home with you. I don't see a reason for getting rid of the dog, but if it comes down to it, this way you would be involved in the process and your dog wouldn't have to spend months in a crate.

Rymer

sorry, again...cleared everything from the floor including 2 other dogs while the water was running. the plan was to move the dogs to the other half of the house until the floors were dry. we've done this several times w/no problems. the third dog wouldn't move, not even for a treat. after several failed attempts to convince the dog and two of his teeth displays, i still reached down to pet him. that's when he bit.

So this makes me ask anyone who has experience with a Chow, is it in the Chow breed to hate baths?

Rymers dog is part Chow, sounds like this dog really thought he was going to have to take a bath. I've heard groomers say they wont do a chow, Princess HATES her baths. The minute she thinks she's going to be taking a bath it turns into a battle. Once in the tub she freezes, pants heavily and acts like she could hyperventalate. Its sad. So is it something in this breed that hates baths this much?

Debi

Well, heck, Addie HATES a bath..especially if I even thought of plopping her into a tub. She is ok being washed down outside in the summer....but I've never even considered being upset.......she hates water, no biggie. She also gets a little snippy when I wipe their muddy paws, but only after consecutive mud days...and her little paws get sensitive. How is your dog around your family..your friends...children?????? Do you really love this dog??? I'd never even consider getting rid of my dog if it were something I could have prevented...and I KNEW that. Doesn't seem right to blame the dog. The more I read, the more I'm convinced your fiance just doesn't want this dog. I'm going with Renee........you don't even want to do this. This really does sound like a bit of manipulation...sorry, but that's how it's reading to me. Any person that truly loves you, would work with this....if for no feelings for the dog....then for YOUR feelings. This entire incident sounded like it could have easily been prevented..and it sounds isolated. Poor pup....I sure hope you don't give up on him. :(

Is there ne1 else in the house with u besides ur fience? Maybe u could have some1 take him out for like a ride or something while u mop the floor...?

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
Sounds to me Rymer like your dog has some domince issues and your alowing it byt alowing the dog to do what he wants and thats never good.

becca_4321 said:
So this makes me ask anyone who has experience with a Chow, is it in the Chow breed to hate baths?
I don't know if it's a breed characteristic or not. But, my mom's chow mix LOVES water and baths and mud puddles any excuse to lay in water. But he's a mix and I don't know what the other breed is.

Ash47

Taco Dog
It is true, many groomers won't mess with Chows. I, being in love with the breed, try to understand them the best I can. They are born with the attitude of "If I do it, I will do it, when I want to do it." Precious is half-Chow half-Black Lab. She HATES baths. However, I don't think it is in them to just hate baths. Really, if they are handled gently and given baths from the time they are around 6wks. old, nearly any dog won't mind having a bath every now and then.
But, sometimes, they just don't like it nomatter how early you start bathing them. :rolleyes:

I too have a chow mix and he loves anything to do with water. He does okay with baths but it's more the "closeness" of the bathtub than the water he hates. He too is a mix though so that may make a difference (mix w/lab)

honeybear

My puppy hates anything water related, she's a chow/shep mix, she especially hated the ocean :)

Members online