Clean Teeth

SunnyGirl

Hey!

I really want to keep my dogs healthy and happy and that includes their teeth! so does any one have ideas to keep theire teeth pearly white? My young dog (Jazz) is 2 and has already had one molar pulled cause it broke so the bottom molar on that side always gets plaque much faster. So far here is what I use with my dogs (Sunny is 8):
Greenies about 2-3 times a week
Dried Sweet potatoes supposed to help clean the plaque off once a week
Brush Teeth once a week trying for more

A friend in my agility class suggested using short ribs from the butcher she says her vet is always commenting on her dogs clean clean teeth yet she never brushes her dogs teeth! anyone tried those? Thanx for your input!

I've been told the rope toys are good for helping to keep those teeth clean too. My girls have a great big one they play with together. Their teeth are pretty much immaculate, but they also have bones and good hard crunchy treats, so I don't know what's keeping them so nice and white - probably the combination of those things plus a good diet.

It sounds like you're doing a good job keeping your pup's teeth well cared for.

Raw bones help keep teeth clean. However these are extremely messy so you may want to feed in an area with an easily-cleaned floor (such as tile, wood, or concrete) or outdoors.

Ash47

Taco Dog
Bones are good. There are some that are specifically for plaque control. As far as brushing the teeth, once a week is good for right now. If the teeth begin getting any nastier, try for 2 or 3 times a week.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I heard rope toys aren't good because sometimes the dogs tear off strings and swollow them which can get caught in their intestines.

Hmmm, Barb, I hadn't run across that before. Mine have those giga-mundous ones and are generally playing tug, since when one picks it up, the other one tries to take it away :rolleyes: so not much actually gnawing or cutting goes on with the rope. When they just want to chew they usually go for their Orbee bones or Shiva goes for squeaky.

dogsrmylife86

Allison&Ginger
i think brushing teeth once a week and such should help. dry dog food also helps cut down on the plaque in general. bones can help.

allison

u can get that beef (yuk) flavored toothpaste in stores and they will look forward to u brushing their teeth

pitbulliest

raw bones are the best...at least that's what I hear...
I personally brush my dog's teeth every day..or every second day with a tootbrush and water...I only use the dog tooth paste about once or twice a week max...you can also use salt and water once a week or add a little bit of baking soda to the water..helps remove some of the plaque...

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
I think raw bones are best. My dogs have pretty white teeth and i havent done anything special but my vet compliments on them alot and says its do to their daily bones.

colliekid

I love collies!
My father and I took a file and filed off plaque after I saw this post and realized that my dog needed better dental care. It worked great. I'll be brushing her teeth more and getting her dental bones.

I never brushed my dogs teeth nor will I.

They always have a bone to chew on. If you dont want to use a raw bone, you can get the basted, already cooked, knuckle bones. I get mine at Trader Joes.

darkchild16

We are Home.
scirracco gets brushed once a day for the most part cuz they are NASTY but tthhats fromlinving on the track
walker oncea week
akira and morgan aleways have bones
same with jd

mrose_s

BusterLove
SunnyGirl said:
Hey!

I really want to keep my dogs healthy and happy and that includes their teeth! so does any one have ideas to keep theire teeth pearly white? My young dog (Jazz) is 2 and has already had one molar pulled cause it broke so the bottom molar on that side always gets plaque much faster. So far here is what I use with my dogs (Sunny is 8):
Greenies about 2-3 times a week
Dried Sweet potatoes supposed to help clean the plaque off once a week
Brush Teeth once a week trying for more

A friend in my agility class suggested using short ribs from the butcher she says her vet is always commenting on her dogs clean clean teeth yet she never brushes her dogs teeth! anyone tried those? Thanx for your input!
bones from the butchers are the best, scraps on supermarket meat areas can be found.

thats our dogs main food, a good feed of meat 2 or 3 times a week. Especiially the stringy bits, thats what buster get right into, it works as a floss.
daisy we found today (becaue she doesnt enjoy bones much) likes dries pigs ears.

candy722

I brush TOki's teeth once or twice a week but I can never reach his back tooth so I still give him some rawhide bones hoping that it will clean his back.

lilly

and my dog (as shown as avatar) has sharp teeth.pealry whites.but she chews and chews on ropw toys and tugs and pulls and eventually it falls apart :\.guess hoo has to clean it up?ME!and she still has 1 5 inch thick 1 left, but thats it!

Members online