Anatolian Shepherd Dogs

Alaturka

Hi guys ... sounds like we have a lot of dog lovers here!! I am an owner / handler / breeder / lover of Anatolian Shepherd Dogs ... I started Alaturka Kennels in 1987. For those of you unfamiliar with the Anatolian ... they come from Turkey and have been around for thousands of years, making them one of the oldest of all the dog breeds. They were originally used as War Dogs, but eventually evolved into the best Livestock Guardians in the world!! This is a large to giant breed of dog with a calm, but serious temperment and the ability to do their job efficiently and precisely ... that being the protection of whatever they are living with. Anatolians have been known to protect goats, sheep, llama, alpaca, cattle, horses, cats and even other dogs. But, they are especially protective of their families. They do this without being overly agressive or vicious, but still manage to make sure nothing harms their charges. This is a very calm, stubborn, independent breed that can be the best or the worst dog you ever lived with depending on your ability to convince your dog that you are in charge.

I was once asked why I chose such a challenging breed of dog to live with. This was my answer ....

As a person who has lived with Anatolians since 1987, I can tell you that it has been a very educational journey for me. My first ASD taught me humilty and gave me a very refined sense of humor. My next several ASDs proved to me beyond any doubt that I never wanted to be without at least two of these really unique dogs. They are funny with a serious nature. They are calm, with spurts of hilarious energy. They are regal, with comic bouts of silliness, but never over the top. I love the gentleness of these dogs when they find abandoned kittens and lay for hours while these little fuzzies use them as a jungle gym. I love the way they look at a situation, figure it out, and then handle it in the most efficient way. I love the way people will actually stop what they are doing when I drive by with 2 or 3 of these guys in my van just to stare in awe at the absolute nobility of these dogs. I love the way they always seem to know when my spirits are down and how they are perfectly content to just lend me quiet support. And, most of all, I love the exquisite look of ecstasy that comes over my big male's face when a toddler runs over to him and throws its arms around his neck to hug him.

These are the most addictive dogs I have ever had and, over the last 50 years, I have lived with many different breeds of dogs .... none of which have ever made me feel so safe or so loved.

Saje

Island dweller
Awww. You've made me want one! I don't know that much about breeds so your post is very insiteful.

Hope to hear more. :) You sound like you love your dogs as much as Renee likes her Filas. LOL I'm sure you two will get along great.

Welcome

I've been admiring Alaturka's Anatolians in the Dog Pictures for some time.

Everything I've read and heard about them tells me they are very similar to Filas on the inside - which makes sense if you consider the harsh environments and responsibilities both breeds come from.

If you haven't seen Alaturka's gorgeous Anatolians you really should take a trip to the Members' Galleries and look at them. They are just breathtaking.

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Anatolian Shepherd Dogs, huh? Good dogs. When I was younger I used to not be able to tell the difference betweent the ASD and a German Shepherd Dog. They look pretty similar.

I've seen a couple... they're about as big as a German Shepherd Dog gets from what I've seen. They seem very similar to me... do they share a common bloodline? :) Now, I'm gonna go checkout the Anatolian Shepherds in the gallery! :)

Barb04

Super Moderator
Sandie, great post on the Anatolians. Max is the love of my life. I do agree that I would always want to own an Anatolian. They are such a unique breed but also a handful. My breeder described them as having a deaf ear - they listen when they want to. Anyone wanting to own one should really research the breed and talk to breeders to make sure this is the right breed for them.

BigDogs - I think Renee was right. Anatolians are larger than a GS. The breed standard is 29" at the withers but many are larger. My Max is 34" at the withers and won't fully mature until 3-4 years of age. They come in a variety of colors. I just saw one that had a blue mask; I love the variation of colors in the breed.

Members online

No members online now.