I got my dog.

hi people,
i got my dog. its a chocolate labrador. he is very cute and a very nice pet. but he keeps biting my finger for some reason. i need to know why he is doing this. and i am crate training him. the only problem is he doesnt like being in his crate. he keeps barking when i put him in his crate. he needs to be toilet trained. can anyone tell me a good way to do this. he is one and a half months old. can i put a collar on him and take him for very short walks ? there are many street dogs here who bark when i take him out. what do i do?
please guide me.
vidyashankara.

i couldnt buy a golden because my dad and mom wont take much shedding. so i choose the brown lab as its quite rare.

Congratulations! The Chocolate Labs are great dogs and they are so beautiful with their gorgeous cocoa coats.

Keep walking him to socialize him well and to train him to walk with you at an early age, but just keep reassuring him that you won't let anything hurt him and try to ignore the dogs as much as possible. This will teach him to ignore them. A collar is good, but I really like using a soft harness. It gives you more control and the dogs seem to be more comfortable and respond better for some reason.

I'm not really the best at toilet training, since I've rarely had a dog who had to be housebroken (am I lucky or what?!), and I've never used a crate, so someone like Brattina can help you more there. I have found, when I've needed to reinforce the idea that the toilet is outside, that praising my dogs lavishly for going outside has much more effect than scolding them for doing it inside, although I do scold (and try not to giggle when they act ashamed and roll those big puppy eyes up at me).

Puppies mouth and nip. Young puppies especially like fingers, and they will sometimes try to "nurse" on your fingers, nipping in the process. (Don't you feel sorry for mama dogs?) He'll probably outgrow it, but removing your finger and telling him "No" gently and substituting a chew toy should take care of the problem. Just remember, though, that mouthing is a very intimate contact for a dog; that's how they interact when they are little and sometimes even a grown dog will gently mouth its owner lovingly. When my dogs, especially Bimmer, are very happy and relaxed or totally involved in playing they will sometimes do that to me. I take it as a sign of great love and acceptance. There is a difference between affectionate mouthing and aggressive mouthing, though, but you'll know the difference.

I haven't actually used these videos, but everything I've read and heard and seen about the Monks of New Skete and their dog training is highly complimentary. You might want to check into it. The next time I see some of their books I'm going to get them since we're going to be breeding the Filas and I think I'm going to need help with so many dogs! Here's a link for you to check out:

http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/

Be sure to post photos of your new baby! We're all anxious to see him. What is his name?

By the way, how did your finals go?

Last edited:
you dont get calf milk replacement here.this dog is great. it went straight to the toilet once. then again after 5 mins he went did his water job on granite flooring. but he is very clever. he is one and half months old as i said. i dont know what to reward him with when he does something good. i just praise him. and i dont think i am very good at praising. do dogs like chocolates? can you give me a list of treats i can use to give a 1 1/2 month pup? by the way - his name is chocolate.i got him dewormed today. tomorrow he gets his vaccinations. This is my first time with the dog and i am spending around 13-15 hrs with him. once my college starts i will be away for 8 hrs from 9 to 5. so i try to be away from the dog for long? so that he gets used to being alone and play with his toys. he's got such super eyes i just cant be away from him. dad and mom dont help me much. they just pet the dog. i am the one who cleans his pee etc... can you post a detailed guide on how to do everything? i know many things. but i think i need to be more patient with the dog. how i hope you were my neighbor, you could help me settle the dog properly. i could really do with some help.

i did my exams very well.i will post some photos real soon.
vidyashankar

As far as treats go, dogs love cheese, which is very good for them. Just don't overdo it, as cheese can be constipating. There are lots of commercial dog treats, and I'll see if I can't find some recipes for good doggie treats you can bake yourself.

DO NOT GIVE YOUR DOG CHOCOLATE. Chocolate is poison to dogs. There are naturally occuring substances in chocolate, including caffeine, that are terrible for dogs.

If your Mom and Dad will pet your dog and give him some affection while you are gone, I don't think you'll have too much problem with being gone. Remember, the thing your puppy wants most from you is your love and approval.

I really can't think of anything that will help you more than some good training guides like the ones from the Monks of New Skete. Or check in bookstores. Look for something basic. You might even look for a book on Laborador Retrievers to give you a good idea of what you can expect.

We have a neighbor who has a black Lab puppy about two weeks older than our youngest Fila, Kharma. He's been coming over every day for the last week to play with our dogs and he's just adorable. We have a little wading pool in the front yard for the dogs to play and cool off in, and of course, being a Lab, he just loves it. You should see him jumping around and splashing and just having a grand time.

yeah labs love water. they are great natural swimmers. i just shouted at my dog. it kept barking. so i shouted. he is all quiet now and sleeping in its crate. should i leave him in the crate at nite? right now i leave him out so he can pee on the newspaper. mom lets him pee whereever he wants. she is going to take my crate training back weeks if she goes on like this.i got him this new pedigree dog food. he ate it and liked it a lot. after a while he vomitted the whole thing out. why is that? he has'nt had it before. is that why? or is it because he got his vaccination today?

Vidyashankara said:
yeah labs love water. they are great natural swimmers. i just shouted at my dog. it kept barking. so i shouted. he is all quiet now and sleeping in its crate. should i leave him in the crate at nite? right now i leave him out so he can pee on the newspaper. mom lets him pee whereever he wants. she is going to take my crate training back weeks if she goes on like this.i got him this new pedigree dog food. he ate it and liked it a lot. after a while he vomitted the whole thing out. why is that? he has'nt had it before. is that why? or is it because he got his vaccination today?
The vaccination could very well be the reason he vomited his food back up. Or it could be that he ate too fast. Puppies do that sometimes. Try just giving him small amounts of food at a time until he gets used to the idea that no one is going to take it away from him.

If he's being good about peeing on the newspaper at night, by all means leave his crate open for him. I hope your Mom can understand that she's going to make everyone - you, your dog - and herself - miserable if she isn't consistent with his housebreaking and crate training. Is she doing this because she isn't completely convinced that a dog was a good idea?

no she loves the dog and wants the dog to be always around her. but he will never learn if he pees everywhere wherever she goes. last nite he did his urination on the paper and he dint do his potty at all. he did it today morning some half an hour back. he keeps whining when he is in his crate. what do i do? let him out or ignore him?

He'll learn to pee where he is supposed to if your Mom will keep an eye on him and take him to the appropriate place at intervals, praising him when he pees where he's supposed to. It's great that she wants him near. Some of your earlier posts sounded like your parents weren't terribly enthused about the idea of a dog.

Leave him in his crate for periods of time, even if he whines. You're training him, not the other way around. Don't try to crate him for long periods of time, though. He's just a baby. Give him a soft blanket or old T-shirt or something with your smell on it to snuggle with in his crate. Brattina can tell you a lot more about crate training, since she's done quite a bit of it. I've never used a crate.

i have put a soft cotton cloth there. i will put one of my old shirts today. today when i put him in his crate, he dint like it and kept barking. i thought he dint want to be in his crate and ignored him. he kept whining and pee'd in his crate. he did that 2 times today but after that i was more patient with him and he has either pee'd outside or on a newspaper. i am running out of newpapers at home ;) i have started adding some solid foods like pedigree in his milk. he likes it a lot and has vomitted only once today. and that too he vomitted only 3 pellets of pedigree. he is starting to get used to it.

Brattina88

Crate training can be an efficient and effective way to house train a dog. Dogs do not like to soil their resting/sleeping quarters if given adequate opportunity to eliminate elsewhere. Temporarily confining your dog to a small area strongly inhibits the tendency to urinate and defecate... this is the fact we use to our advantage in house training dogs.However, there is still a far more important aspect of crate training.
If your dog does not eliminate while she is confined, then she will need to eliminate when she is released, i.e., she eliminates when you are present to reward and praise her.
If you are crate training your dog to go outside then in my opinion I think it is unecissary to teach him to use the papers. It might confuse him about going in the house vs. outside later when the pup is old enough to hold it until he's out.
I've read that milk isn't good for puppies stomachs and it will make them throw up... :confused:
Sounds like he was telling you he had to go out ;) thats something already :D

the thing is when he eliminates at night, i cant take him out... so then he goes on papers. the other times i take him out. he has been able to hold it for longer periods now. the crate i am using is a TV box and he is going to jump out soon.

dee_9125

A posible reason for your dog threw up its food could be that it is too rich for it or you didnt slowly increace the amount of this food given ,you shoulg give it over at least a week, cos it could givethe pup a bad tummy.

Sometimes a puppy - or even a grown dog - will vomit food back up because they've eaten too fast. Shiva was TERRIBLE about that! Kharma never does, but Shiva gobbles and Kharma nibbles. Bimmer stands over his bowl and growls! (lol)

pimp

I've got a lab

My lab shook of her coller when I took her for a walk so trane her heal good.

hey renee,
i have been reading this new skete monk training page. is thre any king of a e-book i can can download? Buying the book would mean i have to use my card which i dont have.In india, the credits cards are not popular. we all use debit cards. and i cant use debit cards over the net. is there any type of a E-book? or a video i can watch online?

yeah i did that. they said they will try to get it for me. they are also giving me a good discount on it. i have a problem. i put a collar on him and he is fine but when i put him on the leash he justs sits and i have to pull him hard to move which i dont want to do. what do i do?

Members online