adult dog's can food for puppies?

gell914

i have this pedigree can food for grown up dogs and my puppy's still around 2 months..is it okay to feed him that?

Doberluv

No, puppies need puppy food. There are nutrients; certain trace minerals, vitamins in the amounts that puppies need in there that aren't found in adult food. In my opinon, any food you find in the grocery store isn't worth a hill of beans. You can find premium foods in feed stores and some pet stores. A few premium ones are; Canidae, Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover's Soul, Innova, Wellness. There are several. You can do a search online too and look at ingredients, compare them and find out what things your dog needs and doesn't need.

The cost of these will seem higher. However, it is usually the case that there is less waste and the dog is utilizing more of what you give. You usually don't need to feed quite so much.

Good luck.

gell914

what about homemade food? can i just feed him taht instead of canfoods?

Doberluv

Depending on the breed, puppy food is not necessary...larger breeds don't need puppy food and they do better on adult food...with that being said Pedigree is not a good food for any dog and should never be fed.
I beg to differ. I've discussed this with several vets and having owned many larger breed dogs, have never had a problem with joints or bones. Adult food lacks the correct amounts of some very important trace minerals and enzymes that puppies need while growing. What causes joint and bone problems is more the over feeding and obesity. Apparently too high in carbohydrates is more the problem and not the protein. There are several brands which make a large breed puppy food.

I was initially surprised when, after an e-mail to the Innova people asking them if they made a large breed puppy food, they answered me explaining that "large breed puppy food" was a marketing ploy. At first I had some doubts, but thought about it and decided, judging from the care, research and ingredients they put into their lines of critter food, if there was a need for large breed puppy chow they would undoubtedly be making one. I must say, they've proven their point very well to me from the way Shiva and Kharma are turning out. They lead much more active lives than most puppies, so the extra calories in puppy chow versus adult food was a plus. They also got a large bowl of calf milk replacer every day.

Members online

No members online now.