Hi I'm new and need help!

Brattina88

There are many different contraptions to keep your dog from barking, but I would suggest tying to teach your dog when to stop barking when you command. You didn't say much about what your problem was, so I'd never recomend a no bark collar or anything like that without training first. I'm sure we'll all have suggestions on how to help the problem if you want to let us know. :cool:

Good article, Serena, and especially your comment at the bottom about NOT letting others give your dog any type of food!

The one thing that isn't addressed, though, is the fact that sometimes a dog barks excessively due to teasing. People, and especially kids who are not taught respect can be merciless to a fenced-in or otherwise restrained animal. Setting up a camera inside your own house with a good view of the yard and possibly checking with a neighbor you know - and trust - will sometimes reveal that the dog isn't the problem.

Of course, then you've got a problem with what steps to take to stop the teasing after you've caught it. That's where it's good to have it on video tape, time and date stamped. At that point you've got to decide if a calm discussion - in front of a witness - with the teaser or teaser's parents will produce positive results. If that doesn't work, some local animal shelters will step in, or you may have to file a formal complaint.

There's nothing quite like a good, safe, sturdy, high privacy fence!

We don't have a problem with people teasing the Filas, (lol) but I used to have problems with morons teasing my German Shepherds. We had a neighbor brat who used to throw things at Purdue and bark at him from the other side of the fence, knowing full well that Purdue wouldn't leave the yard. The kid was 10 years old - plenty old enough to know better. One evening we were out in our yard at the same time his mother was in the garden in their side yard that adjoined our back yard. He made a big deal out of showing off to his mother and acting afraid, then ran and climbed up a ladder leaning against their house. His mom made a nasty comment to my mom about how "poor little Michael is so afraid of your dog, he has to climb the ladder to feel safe!" My mom thoroughly enjoyed telling her that the first trick I ever taught him was to climb ladders.

It also didn't matter that her 45 pound dog routinely used our front yard for her personal toilet and had bitten our 10 pound, 14 year old terrier. (Of course, Purdue took care of THAT problem. No one was allowed to hurt Mickey! It was the only time I ever saw him try to hurt another animal.)

She really had to eat crow one day when her 9 month old baby crawled out in the road because her 13 year old daughter wasn't watching him. Purdue had a fit, barking and crying and ran out to the road and stood over the baby until I went out and picked him up out of the road. I was so angry I was shaking, and told her she needed to pay more attention, my dog could've been killed trying to save her baby. They left him alone after that! They didn't bother me much anymore, either, come to think of it. Oh, well, I was 16 years old and full of righteous, red-headed indignation. It probably was a bit much. (g)
It all makes you wonder what is wrong with these people, doesn't it?

amaruq

Thanks for the replies.

what happened was a neighbor reported my dog for barking. We went to the pound. Now I am outside with my dogs..I take them for 1 1/2 -2 hour walks.
It's winter here and been very cold. Now 2 of mine are short hair dogs...they will not stay outside. If they bark I will get them inside or generally tell them to stop and they do. Although we have a terrorist Squirrel who sits on the wire above the yard and wags his little tusk teasing the dogs. Now i will admit they get crazy there. But I have had dogs all my life. Never had a problem.... Turns out that the neighbor who reported us is the same one who loves to play stereo full blast all times of day and night. I admit we have had run ins with these people.
When we talked to the pound the fellow said that the dogs has to have excessive barking....meaning barking constantly. Mine bark but stop and most times they are huge couch potatoes because of all the excercise they get.
We asked the pound to come out and check that they are in good health....live in clean enviroment...don't bark all the time. The pound said not to worry...it's a vendictive neighbor. Doesn't make me feel better cause now I'm worried what they will do next :(

Oh, you do have a problem. You are going to have to keep an eye on your dogs. How do your other neighbors feel about these people?

The second most important thing you should be doing (after watching over your dogs carefully) is documenting the times they are being disruptive. Make a tape recording, adding the date and time of each recording and keep a notebook with these incidents jotted down. If they are bothering your other neighbors it would be great if some of them will keep records, too. At some point you may need the documentation for your own protection - like the next time they try to complain about your dogs, especially if their noise is making your dogs bark.

I've been a legal assistant/paralegal and legal investigator in criminal and civil law for about 15 years now, and this kind of documentation can save you many headaches and heartaches if you've got it. You may never need to use it, but it's better to have it and not use it than to need it and not have it.

You certainly did the right thing by having the pound come out to your house. That created a record that nothing was wrong and that you are responsible owners. That was good thinking.

Members online

No members online now.