Pit Bulls as herding dog....do you have info on this?

Amstaffer

I was having a discussion about other working uses for Pit Bulls. I recalled hearing or reading about Pit Bulls being used as herding dogs. I since have been trying to find some information about this on the web and have had some problems

I however am betting one of my many Chazzer buddies will have some information and/links with information on this topic.

Thanks in advance.

elegy

overdogged
i know diane jessup's infamous "dread" herded. and i know of at least one other pit bull (well, amstaff) who has his herding instinct certificate (grant)

darkchild16

We are Home.
i have used them as rec herders we used to havea cattle ranch and i would take them out witha few cows and work with them herding them. Never anything serious tho. Our sheltar and farm dogs did that.

otch1

I see something very specific happening in last video. Dog is responding to correctional tool and taking guidance from tool/rake, when he's allowed to circle the sheep. Would like to see dog work out of round pen and with a shoot/pen, to see if he really understands herding commands and handler guidance. Granted, I just watched this without the sound so could have missed something!

Miakoda

I won't say that there is anything a 'pit bull' could not do, but it all depends on the dog.

My dogs would love to herd livestock........then bring them down. But baiting bulls/livestock is in there blood so for me to expect them to be perfect gentlemen/ladies around large animals might be asking too much. It honestly depends on the animal/dog aggression within that dog. And I've seen a case where someone brought their very submissive non-DA 'pit bull' out to the barn & it seems instinct took over. The dog however ended up with the brunt of the damage after being ganged up on by 2 of the horses (1 of them the one he was going after).

Members online

No members online now.