Shut that dark creature up! :eek:

tcreed

So, today was Dante's first puppy pre-agility class. It's in a huge building where other classes are going on at the same time. As soon as we get in, the trainer tells us not to let the puppies socialize because in agility you're a team with your dog, and if they socialize they will want to play with the other puppies. Ok, I'm fine with that, but Dante isn't. He saw dogs his size and he wants to play. AND.... being a GSD when he's being ignored, he doesn't know why, and starts to bark at the other puppies. Well, he's 10 weeks old, and I'm trying to break the barking habit, but don't know the right way to go about it. So, I'm trying to get Dante to focus on me with a treat, but there was so much stimulation around that he wasn't giving me any attention.

By the way he ran through tunnels and over the jumps(like 1" high!) just great, but when it wasn't his turn he'd bark at all the other dogs.

Well, long story short, another trainer from another ring yells over everybody. Somebody shut that dark creature up!!!

I was like "lady, he's 10 weeks, this is his first class, and he's surrounded by things he's not use to seeing!!!" of course I didn't say this as I was embarrased, and was just trying to get his attention back on me. I just don't know how to handle that. I go back next Saturday at 10.

gapeach

Big Mutts
I'm sorry, that lady was a real jerk. He's just new at it, he'll get used to the other dogs. Congrats on your tunnel! :D

TheMrs

AWWWW. we have a barker too. She is 1/2 german shepherd. now the way i did it, you can't. When she would bark I would douse her with the garden hose. My neighbors do the same thing with their puppy too. But you are in a large situation. All you can do is keep going and be patient. When he starts acting up, come down to his leval pet him and tell him its ok and that he should hush. If worse comes to worse....barker breakers without zappers are about 15 bux. With zappers you are looking at about 30bux and if you want a remote trainer expect to pay around 100.

Last edited:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
one time i went to a community center to try out their volleyball..i had never played anything but backyard games so i didn't know all the "correct rules" ..tell Dante I know JUST HOW HE FEELS! and not to get discouraged..rude owner was new once too!

Do you get down nose to nose with him when you're trying to get him to be quiet? It helps sometimes; I've had some REAL talkers too, lol!

And just consider the source when someone like that shows their backside.

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
You'd think in a new room full of excited little puppies of various breeds, the lady would have the brains to expect there to be some noise . . .

moe

If your dog is barking at other dogs, I find best thing to do is turn pup round so not looking at other dogs or giving eye contact with them, I try to distract by offering a treat and calling pup to face me and then talk to pup trying to make myself more interesting than the dogs.

Mo

Members online

No members online now.