Are Siberian Husky's the new Pit or Rott?

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Omg... that is ridiculous.. that insurance agency even had Yorkies on the list

D

Dobiegurl

Insurance companies could care less about the people health, who have been biten. They are only concerned about the money they will loss. They are only doing this because they see it as a chance to get more money and its a shame responsible dog owners must pay the consequence for owning a dog. All the breed specific stuff is just stupid and means nothing. If a dog has teeth it CAN bite but as the article says, mostly from improper training. So ignorant!!!

A YORKIE, OMG!!!

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Dobiegurl said:
A YORKIE, OMG!!!
The black list typically includes Akitas, American bulldogs, American Staffordshire terriers (also known as pit bulls), Chows, Doberman pinschers, German shepherds, and Rottweilers, but dog owners say insurers sometimes also shun boxers, collies, dalmatians, schnauzers, Siberian huskies, and other breeds not as commonly associated with aggression.
Commerce, which underwrites more homes in the state than any other insurer, considers about a dozen types of dogs ''unacceptable," including Yorkshire terriers, a toy breed that rarely weighs more than 7 pounds
Yeah I know:eek:

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Wow, but at least they are fighting it.

Our issurance company is fine with the Dobe. No $ increase, but if she bit anyone, they would cover us and then refuse to re-insure us. That makes more sence to me than just saing no in the beginning

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
''Dachshunds have been involved in fatalities, and so have Labradors and cocker spaniels," said Dr. Julie Gilchrist, a medical epidemiologist for the CDC. ''Any dog can bite and any dog can kill." Indeed, a 6-week-old California baby was killed in 2000 by her family's Pomeranian, a breed that averages about 5 pounds.
At least someone's got it right

joce

I have a husky and a dobe:)

Our first home insurere said huskys used to be the number one killer/bitter becuase people kept them in packs so when one attacked they all attacked. I guess they used to be thought of as bad by the companies but it lessened with pits and what not. I think with overbreeding the yhave realized these dog are really mouthy and most people are not ready to deal with it. I definately see my husky as more "dangerous" than my dobe.

the companies are in it to make money. we will only go to one that doens't discriminate. Its not even that I really blame them for doing it though,we all know how horrible some people are with their dogs. I wouldn't trust most people enough to say I'd insure their dogs. I'd also be wary of people with mroe than two dogs and I have four! os I'd never insure myself:p

hah I thought this thread was going to be about how amny people are buying the dogs now...oh well...

As for the list, it doesn't suprise me or really concern me. There's so many insurance agencies out there that if one has a policy like this, it's not going to be hard to find another agency of similar quality and cost to cover you. They're simply being over protective and looking for new money markets.

Selkhet

Den Mother
Unfortuantely this 'black flag' list is the norm for all the insurance agencies in my area. I called every homeowner's insurance company in the phonebook (anonymously) and not one would cover a dobe, most wouldn't even cover the GSD. I had to call back and omit the fact that we owned the dobe to get anyone to even consider us. The last company in the book took us, but cautioned us that if our GSD ever bit anyone they would drop us. (not quite so bluntly, but the understanding was there)

Selkhet

Den Mother
makenzie71 said:
Why not use a franchise insurance agency?
Not sure what you mean. Are you talking about getting homeowner's ins through the car ins company, etc? If so, we tried that, too. No one around here is very enthusiastic about covering a dog on that list.

There are national homeowner's insurance agencies...not just locals...I may have misunderstood your saying you hit the "local establishments", though.

At any rate, I find it hard to believe that no one will insure you...have you tried AllState? Tehy didn't mind my two huskies (over the phone quote, 2 minutes ago).

Selkhet

Den Mother
No, no, we did get coverage. But only after I called all the agencies in our phonebook. It was the dobie they didn't want to cover, but I know huskies are on most lists, too. Just doesn't make sense to me, that's all.

It's just covering their asses...our society is too litigous (sp?)...we sue for anything. Too many agencies suffer losses over dog bites, so they're simply trying to cover the potential for mishap.

It's the same reason why my BMW 328i costs me $15 more a month than had I purchased a 318i...otherwise the same car, and a driver who would drive both the same way, but the 328 has a bigger engine (faster car).

Funny Story

I was taking a walk. Behind a fence, in someone's yard, was a husky. A beautiful, well-behaved dog. Now, normally, if I'm walking past someone's yard, and there's a dog in it, the dog barks. What was this dog doing? Sleeping. He knew I was there, but he couldn't care less. Ooo, he's a vicious beast! :rolleyes:

Selkhet

Den Mother
True. And I can see their side of it. But I think if the company is really that concerned, why not take the time to personally assess the temperment of each dog looking for coverage? Yeah, yeah, it's too much work and it's much more convienent (for them) to just lump all breeds into categories, eg. "bad" and "good". Oh well.

joce

If you go to a small place they usually will take it into consideration. We only got away with byron with one of them because my moms friend was our agent:p

Selkhet

Den Mother
joce said:
If you go to a small place they usually will take it into consideration. We only got away with byron with one of them because my moms friend was our agent:p
That's what we ended up doing. The agent at the small office in the next town over has a GSD herself, and agreed the breed list was a bit much. She was very nice about giving us a policy - though we still didn't mention the dobe for fear of rejection. It was literally the last place, and we HAD to get coverage or we couldn't move into the house.

When people get a dog they are supposed to tell the ins company, but I know many who have owned dobes and never reported it. Believe me it's not something I like to do (omit information) but we really had our backs against the wall at the time.

Members online

No members online now.