Rally Trialing Questions

crazedACD

Just kind of curious, I've done one trial with Romeo so far, and it went fine. We qualified on one run, and NQ'd on the other (my mistake). Here they usually do a two-day event, two 'trials' on each day, so four trials in all. I'm considering taking the first weekend in August off, and getting a cheap motel room and doing both days. (Anyone near NH want to meet up?!).

So you need three qualifying scores in a level (A) to gain that level's title, and to move to the next level. What happens if you are entered in four 1-A level classes, but you gain the title the first day? Can you move up to level 2 on the second? I'm also wondering about the A/B thing for the level...you cannot compete in the B level classes until you have your title, correct? So supposing we qualified in both trials the first day, we could move into Level 1 B, and Level 2 A the next day?

I'm also kind of wondering about some of the etiquette. I was a little surprised at the first trial I went to, everyone knew each other very well (they were even calling an exhibitor because she wasn't there!). I got an email prior to the trial stating "if it all goes well and we all pitch in, we should be wrapped up by 4pm". Is it expected for you to stay to the end of the trial? They were also asking for volunteers, people brought snacks to share..are these things 'expected'? Or no big deal? Anything else I should know?

OH, and one last question...I suppose it's frowned upon to bring a dog that is not competing along? If I'm going to be spending the night, I would love to have Skye with us too, and to get her used to the trial atmosphere. I think I will be alone, I would be crating her while I'm in the ring at least, though she might bark...a lot. I could technically enter her in a class but I don't think she would qualify. How do you guys handle trialing two dogs at the same time? I don't recall seeing one person handling two dogs at the last trial.

Thanks everyone :D.

Saeleofu

What venue are you competing in?

Generally, move-up to the next level are allowed. You do not HAVE to move up (or even from A to B) unless you want to, though, because usually there's a grace period where you can still compete at lower levels(generally until the title posts). The premium should state whether move-ups are allowed or not, and if in doubt, email/call the show chairperson or secretary or some other high-level trial official. There was a UKC trial near here back in December (that I didn't go to) that did not allow move-ups because the secretary just couldn't figure out how to do it. It had a LOT of people upset, because it was the same situation - 4 trials, 2 days - and most people were expecting to be able to get a title plus a leg towards the next title, and then they couldn't.

As far as volunteering and food, the host club SHOULD be able to handle it. Around here, most entrants are members of the host club, and that may be why those sorts of things are being sent out. However, if you WANT to help, they certainly won't turn you down! Stewarding at trials is actually pretty fun, and you definitely learn A LOT. They'll tell you exactly what you need to do if you'd like to help. Maybe email the club and see what they may need help with or anything like that. In general, UKC is more "everyone pitch in" than AKC simply because the shows are smaller and the clubs tend to be tighter-knit in UKC. In my experience, if you're standing around at a UKC trial doing nothing and don't have a dog in your hand, you will soon have a dog in your hand or you will be stewarding or you will be doing SOMETHING to help either the club or your fellow competitors. If you're in rally and you're any good at it, newbies will come to you after the map is posted to ask questions about exercises and such - even if you're a newbie yourself. I always offer help when that happens, and if I have my dog in hand, I will demonstrate the exercise. That can be the difference between a leg and an NQ, and I know if I were in that position I'd want someone to help me out, too, so I always help as long as I know what I'm doing.

The premium will also state whether or not unentered dogs are allowed. MOST shows around here state "No unentered dogs." Some shows are fine with other dogs. Again, if in doubt, email/call the club and ask! If the rules say no unentered dogs, then don't bring unentered dogs, because it is heavily frowned upon. My trainer has actually refused to continue training a few dogs because their owners brought them to shows they weren't entered in.

Generally, I stay until the end of a trial, because I usually have a dog entered in the last class >.< It's not required, but also if I have the time to spare I do stick around. You can learn a lot, and it shows good sportsmanship. If it drags on and on, though, nobody's going to worry about you leaving when you're done (or after your class's awards presentation, anyway!). When I was at CCA nationals, I waited on the grounds for HOURS before rally even started because they were running so late. When my class was over, I was out of there. But at the shows this past April, the first say I stuck around until the very end...I was actually afraid I'd get locked in because I was one of the last people out. Partially because Logan was in a match after the main show, partially because I was staring at Poison and all her adorableness, and partially because after it was all over I still had to change clothes, pack up my dog, and get out. It's exhausting being at a show, especially if you're not used to it. Fortunately that show was here in town. I don't think I'd ever do a 4 day show out of town, it's crazy. I love the 3-day, 4-trial shows, though, because you can get ALL THE LEGS in on weekend, and then some!

Members online

No members online now.