Damned Hungarian!!

I'm dripping in sweat typing this and have just made myself look like even more of an idiot than I already have around the neighborhood, I had let Katalin out into the yard for some play and potty break and she leapt a 4 foot gate onto the sidewalk, zipped around into next doors yard - bounded out of there onto the road - got caught up with a passerby's dog - zipped around his dog to a open yard, flew by me and my hand with treats and chased the passerby and dog as they were about to walk off - I caught her on the sidewalk finally, leashed her up and brought her indoors.

*phew*

We need a new gate, we need to work WAY more on impulse control/self control and coming - this is tough for a breed that likes to wander mind you. Yet another *ARGH* moment in the life of the owner of a (very wild) puppy.

Venting done, sweat drying, feeling of relief kicking in as feeling of wanting to bang my head against the wall dissipates. Please proceed to laugh at me.

Lyzelle

Nothing funny about it. Been there, done that. NO FUN. I swear dogs think it's so fun to give us heart-attacks.

So glad you were able to catch her!

Lord have mercy on this tired soul and her wild brat of a dog.

Her ex pen is less than 4 foot high and she can't jump it, how did she manage to....ARGH!!! yeah yeah I know open space better room to lift off on hind legs and all that jazz but I'm just thinking out loud here.

Abit of both.

The second option looks good to me...we'll probably have to line the whole of our fence with it though - I don't want to take any more chances.

I'll save the picture and ask around for companies or if friends would be willing to help me out for a DIY project. I balk at the cost of it being done by a professional and my parents won't put in any money for the feeding, containment, or upkeep of "my dog" even though they play with her and refer to her just as much as "theirs" all the time :rolleyes:

I'm not being stingy or a pennypinch for my dogs safety - it's just that there is very little moola in my account to spare at the moment.

houlahoops

A length of PVC pipe works for us just as well. They just slide right back onto the right side of the fence!

But scary nonetheless...glad you caught her!

Puppy pastimes - scaring the **** out of us poor owners/slaves. Never gets old for them does it?

Our old Shiba used to just, um, take off after animals - it had to be some prey that set her off, she didn't care at all about cars or anything else. when a squirrel was across the highway one time though....wasn't pleasant for anyone.

On our walk tonight after the incident I worked with her on "focus" - her watching my hand with food in it, moving it to my face, then moving it away from my face and feeding apon her making eye contact again with me. She is distracted easily - with that in mind she did pretty well actually.

Until we get better reliability and her wild streak calms abit - she's staying on lead all the time outside.

Members online

No members online now.