Fighting depression

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
How do I keep Lucas from being too depressed? It's been 5 days since Chloe died and Lucas is just really depressed and I know that's ok he is just grieving, but I want to help him feel a little better. Is there anything I can do to help him feel better?? He isn't eating very good at all and is getting pretty skinny and I've been trying to give him things he really likes, but he still only eats a little. I've been trying to keep a routine, but is there anything else I can do for him??

Saje

Island dweller
Do you have a blanket or Chloe's bed or something that smells like her? Maybe he'd like that.

:( I feel so sad for you

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Yeah I have a toy that was her favorite and her bed/blanket thing. He's been sleeping on that the past few day instead of his bed. Thanks for the suggestion I'll see if the toy will help.

Purr

~3 Mutts~
Chloe's gone?! I'm so sorry...I had no idea. Give Luke some time, and lots of extra love; he'll be fine. ))Hugs(( to you both.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i had no idea that chloe was gone either..omg i am so sorry Bb. I will try to find the thread of what happened. Mary would not eat, all her zest was gone when Bronki died. I had Aaron show him to her before he buried him because i was afraid if i didn't she would always be looking. I don't know what to say, i got Victor because i thought Mary and i both were going nuts. Victor did a number of things that helped both of us so maybe what he did was more important than the fact he was the one doing it..he made us get up and take him out to exercise umpteen times aday..he kept us distracted until i thought he was adhd and insane as well..he was a giant distraction to our grief. We would have just sat on the sofa and cried together..he kept at Mary over and over again until she was aggitated and angry..then aggitated and mildly amused. Finally she couldn't help herself, he grew on her and me as well. Don't know if any of that helps..but the activity and the distraction was the key to getting Mary up and moving again. Hugs BB again i am so very very sorry for dear Chloe.

bubbatd

I didn't know about Chloe either !! I'm so sorry !!! When Bubba died, I was out of town, so Chip had to watch Tom trying to deal with the whole thing. Tom was disabled breathing wise and after putting Bubba on a blanket it took him 2 hours to drag him to the garage...poor Chip watched the whole thing...I can imagine what he went through ...worrying about both. When I came home 2 days later and found out my heart dog was gone I went into a mental mess...so poor Chip had a triple whammy. It look a while for us all to settle in..... luckily Chip was there for me, and I for him.

BabyB, I had no idea! I am so awfully sorry . . .

Bimmer was horribly depressed when Buffy died. He grieved and grieved until we brought Shiva home, and even then he didn't really stop until Kharma came to us. But Buffy was the love of his life.

Just spend as much time as you can with Lucas. Let him be with Chloe's favorite things, and keep his mind occupied as much as you can. Some new training might be good for both of you . . . learn some new exercises.

I am so, so, so sorry you've lost your sweet Chloe . . . (((((HUGS)))))

I'm so sorry you lost your sweet Chloe.... what happened??? I would suggest you take your baby out and have some fun to get both your minds off it. Does he like to swim? Take him hiking and to a lake to swim. That should help get him out of his depressive element...

Barb04

Super Moderator
Keep Lucas close to you right now and try to do something he enjoys. The two of you need each other! I'm so sorry to hear about Chloe.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Thank you everyone for your support :) Lucas now knows how to bow. I think he got it from Chloe because I never tried to teach him that. Anyways, I'm trying to keep him busy. I brought him to the park and we met with the lady that had the Great dane that found them when they ran away that first time. Mentioning that must make me look real unresponsible, but anyways. He had some fun :)

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
BigDog2191 said:
Good to hear, BB. I'm sorry to hear about Chloe.

I guess you could say after what's happened with me n' Rock, I know how you feel.
I think I missed something, what happened with you and Rocky???

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
BB I knew about Chloe and I'm so sorry Chloe got hit, and R.I.P. Chloe

Try and stay close to Lucas like everyone said and hugs and kisses to u both. Give Lucas a hug from me.

Glad Lucas learned how to bow!! Maybe he will get better soon and you as well.

Oh gosh I'm so sorry!!!! I dunno i you're planning on getting another dog but I find that's the best "pick-me-upper" for a grieving dog. It gives them a friend and keeps them distracted. If you're not planning on getting another dog maybe you could set up lots of play dates or foster a bit.

Members online