training an abused rescued dog

belle4

for the most part our 4 year old beagle does well. however she thinks she's allowed on the couch. we don't want her on the couch and have given her a nice blanket which she really likes. everytime she attempts to get on the couch we say no and she'll go lay down. but if she's up there and we say "no, down" she cowards. if we approach her to pick her up she pees. we don't know how to train her to stay off with out her thinking she's going to be beat. poor thing had it rough before. we try to coax her down with treats and sometimes it works. but she's pretty stubborn too. any tips! same thing goes with bedtime. she thinks it's ok to be in our bed. we put her in a cage in our bedroom and the whole next day she wouldn't come to us and would coward everytime we approached her. so we're thinking she was caged before when she was bad. :(

thanks

Brattina88

I've always done this with my fosters:
Sit next to the dog on the couch, say her name happily to get her attention and show her an especailly yummy treat. Say 'off' and toss the treat to the ground. When her feet hit the ground praise her A Lot, this dog sounds like she could do with a lot of positive reinforcement training. When you see her about to jump up just stop her by saying 'eh-eh' or something like this if it seems to you she's too afriad by the no. Praise her when she lays on her own bed, or even if she just lays in the floor somewhere instead of the couch or bed. A lot of the times I see it unfit to crate train a rescue because of there bad experiances in the past, it makes it near impossible because they're scared...Use your best judgement... HTH

belle4

thanks for the info. should help. we're having her treated for heartworm disease and she's been at the vet the past couple days. so this weekend we'll give it a shot! she's starting to like her blanket more and more, last night she even slept on it instead of the bed part of the night! :) i'll keep you posted!

Easy answer to keep dog off couch!

Hello. I have the solution for you! I was having the same problems with my 2 labs. They were always on the couch and when I made them get off, they would wait until I left the house & get right back on. I had to sweep my couch daily! I got so fed up that I decided to make something to keep them off the couch. I came up with The Doggie Screen. I have an Ebay store where I sell them and there is a money back guarantee. I have pictures and a more detailed description with testimonials at my Ebay store.
www.stores.ebay.com/The-Doggie-Screen

Kathy74

It is so hard when the people in their lives before you were cruel! We go through the same thing with Serene all the time! Sometimes she will cower and shake for no apparent reason, and it makes me so sad to think that something has reminded her of her awful past. How long have you had her for? We've had Serene for over 2 yrs (she was almost 1 when we got her) and it's gotten alot better, but she will bear her emotional scars for life.

Members online