Brushing Huskys

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I would use a rake brush. I use it on my Malamute to get his undercoat and it works really well. It looks like this:

Athe

I would start out with a slicker brush just to get some of the grit out (a rake can be very painful if there are any tangles etc.). After I get the dog brushed out with the slicker then I use rake. If there are any tangled or gritty areas then hold the coat next to the skin so you don't pull.

colliekid

I love collies!

moe

I use either a pin brush or a slicker to get loose hair out of my malamutes, but if the coat is really blowing then I brush them, bath them(not using shampoo on the back of the dog) just wash the white bits and wet the rest, then I give them a good blast with my air blaster, that gets all the old dead hair out, leaving them lovely and fresh, I just love my blaster lol

Mo

RD

Are you dead yet?
An undercoat rake will be a lifesaver. If your dog has really thick hair in some spots (usually on the hindquarters and around the neck - and "thick" meaning that the undercoat rake doesn't go all the way through the hair and touch the skin when you press lightly) I've learned that a mat rake is awesome for getting out a lot of hair.

They look like this:

For thick patches of hair, mat rakes seem to do better than a shedding blade or undercoat rake. (You don't have to brush everything out, either, since they glide through mats.) The only thing with them is that you have to hold them right, so the sharp side of the blades don't touch the dog's skin - only the hair.

If he doesn't have really thick or long hair, don't use the mat rake, it'll do nothing to help you brush out the coat and it might even scratch the dog's skin.

bridey_01

Kelpiefied
I use the rake first on my collie, then a slicker brush. He doesn't really get the chance to develope mats, he's brushed every day (somtimes twice).

M

Manchesters

Brushing

bridey_01 said:
I use the rake first on my collie, then a slicker brush. He doesn't really get the chance to develope mats, he's brushed every day (somtimes twice).
The important thing is not what KIND of brush is used, but HOW the dog is brushed. The dog MUST be brushed down to the skin. The only effective way to do this is to lay the dog on its side, and starting at the rear end, use your hand to flatten down the hair toward the head of the dog. Then use a slicker brush preferably, to pull the hair out from under your hand, as you move your hand steadily toward the head kinda inch by inch. This will get all dead hair out of the dog. Of course, since you will be brushing the skin more or less, use a feather light touch with a slicker brush.

This is why I prefer neeeked dogs!

Ash47

Taco Dog
Manchesters,
I wish I had the ability to explain things as well as you do. I kept wanting to give the exact same reply you gave, but I couldn't think how to put it into words where people would understand. LOL

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Manchester, I am going to try brushing the way you suggested on my husky. Maybe that would do a better job than the wham bam thank-you mam job my husband does on her every night (he will only brush her because she will just lay there and LOVES getting brushed while the others while squirm and wiggle and try to get away).

Members online

No members online now.