Chicken Soup for the pets soul???

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Ok, Chicken soup for the puppy lover's soul is that good or bad? Some people say good and some say bad. I can only get my dogs to eat either pedigree or that and I think pedigree wouldn't be as healthy. Am I right? I don't give them canned as their whole diet I just mix some in with their kibble. Does it matter if I use a cheaper canned food because it isn't their main source of nutrition?

The Chicken Soup is infinitley better than Pedigree.

It's not just what is in a dog food that makes it good - what ISN'T in it can be even more important. It's going to make a real difference for Shelby especially. Her system just doesn't need to be taxed with dealing with foods that are hormone, chemical, toxin and disease laden. The closer you can get her to food made from human grade, organic (not natural - that term is meaningless) the better her chances. Try mixing her kibble with things like yogurt, mashed sweet potatoes, beef hearts, a spoonful of tomato paste, etc. Those are much better things to add to your dogs' diet than most canned dog foods. Stay away from liver and kidney for Shelby, as these are the organs that filter out and retain toxic substances and you want to keep as much of that out of her system as possible.

Fran27

The problem with canned chicken food is that it's probably too salty for dogs. But if you can make your own, that's great, watch out though because they will pee litters (I did the mistake of giving some to Boris once...). Really nice treat though if you put turn it into ice cubes, I still need to do that...

BagelDog

Not crazy...
I donno, but the book Chicken soup for the dog and cat lovers soul is a really good book. :)

Mordy

Quigleyfied
it's a decent food but doesn't quite measure up to the really high end brands. definitely a better alternative to "popular" brands like pedigree, purina, science diet and nutro.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Well, Hannah is really the only one that I give the canned food too. Mack HATES it now, for some unknown reason, and SHelby I mix in the yogurt and cottage cheese and stuff. So Hannah is the only one that I give the canned food to.

My Aunt feeds it to her gigantic boxer mix, Browny. I believe she said she eats about three cups a day, and this dog is just a teensy bit smaller than a great dane. She says Browny really seems to like the flavor. It's better than what she was feeding before. She copied some info on selecting a good dog food from a WDJ issue and when to the feed store and examined every single bag of food's ingredients.

Rose's Gal

I feed my dogs Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's soul and I'm extremely happy with it. My dogs have a much firmer stool than they used too. Blackie also used to have a really dry, flaky coat and it is now soft and shiny without a hint of dander!

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I just feed a little of the canned to Hannah, mixed in with her dried kibble. I know she prefers that to pedigree or this NASTY NASTY NASTY canned stuff my husband bought for her once (that almost caused our divorce) called StrongHeart. Hannah ate some of that StrongHeart stuff and was sick for two days (I'll never feed that agian).

Members online

No members online now.