Dentabones

Lou

how often can i give TJ a dentabone .. the ones from pedigree. The package says one a day but is that too much? :confused:

That's one I'm really not equipped to answer, especially since I don't feed anything made by Pedigree. Their ingredients are just too suspect. Have you considered giving TJ some non-edible, safe, flavored chew toys?

I've seen something called "Greenies" but don't have any experience with them and haven't really looked hard at them mainly because my dogs would decimate them in a matter of minutes. They might be worth a look for TJ, though, and maybe some of the other members have some experience with them and can advise you better.

Lou

yah! i saw greenies at the humane society when my boyfriend went to get a cat. They're shaped like toothbrushes! .. i have no idea what type of food/treats i should b feeding tj. i looked at the naturapet website. What's the difference between those four brands they have. innova looks good, i'm thinking of going today to get some because tj's running out of his science diet which i heard is really bad for him

I

Ilio

I give my dog greenies and they are great! She loves them and they seem to help her teeth. Good Luck!
LilyRose
:)

The four brands have some different ingredients. I feed my dogs the Innova and they're thriving on it. They had some loose stools for the first couple of weeks, but once their systems got acclimated to it (much higher quality than they'd been weaned on) everything's been great. The high quality food is also highly digestible so the land mines are much fewer and smaller, too! With dogs this size that's a HUGE plus! (g)

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
I give Duke DentaGreen bones. I don't remember who they're made by, but they're much cheaper than Greenies. I'd have to buy the biggest size of Greenies, and after awhile, it becomes one expensive treat. By the time he takes the bone and lays down to chew it, there's only a bite of it left. The DentaGreen bones also don't contain wheat gluten, which Greenies do. There have been some Dobermans whose stomachs didn't appreciate the wheat gluten, so that's another reason I went for the DentaGreen. I compared the ingredients of the two when I first got them, and I don't think there was much difference between the two.

Great info, RedHotDobe. I've never seen the DentaGreen bones. I'll have to look them up and give the link to the folks at the feed store where I get my dog food. I'm sure they'll be interested.

"Servant of the DoberKing." I love it! Great photo in your avatar, too.

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
Thanks Renee! He is the DoberKing and I am most definitely his servant. We were at a softball game today and I got myself a hotdog for lunch. I took a bite and before I knew it most of the bun and some of the hot dog was in his mouth. I couldn't believe he just snarfed most of my hot dog up, so I turned to look at him and he just had this "Well, how long do I have to wait for you to feed me the rest?" look on his face. Needless to say, I had to go buy him one, and get myself another one.

Now back to the DentaGreen bones. I checked the back of the package today and it said they were made for DentaClean. Here's their website: http://www.dentaclean.com/ It's a company dedicated to oral hygiene products for pets, so I'm sure their DentaGreen bones are a quality product. Plus the DentaGreen bones have peppermint oil, which I don't think Greenies do. I believe you have to give your dog a Greenie every day for at least a week before you notice any difference in your dog's breath. Hopefully it's not just in my head and the peppermint oil freshens his breath faster than the Greenies would.

Okay, one last non-dental thing. Here's the picture my avatar came from. He kept going into the water after the ball and in the process he'd dunk himself under. Then he'd come out and shake because he realized he was soaking wet.

Love the photo! You 'd get a laugh at my girls in their wading pool - especially little (did I really call her that?) Kharma. She sticks her head under the water and blows bubbles. For no reason at all other than fun. I've never seen a dog do that before and I could stand there and watch her forever. Shiva gets in and starts digging in the water. She'll stick her big head under and bite at things - real or imagined - on the bottom of the pool.

I had to laugh about the hot dog. Ours don't dare do anything like that; Charlie's made it clear to them that something really bad will happen if they interfere with his food. No one in their right mind would get between Charlie and his food! And he's one of those obnoxious people who never puts on any weight, either. (lol) Of course, they look at ME with those big, droopy sad faces while we're eating! I've always had a habit of sharing the last bite with the dog, so they've learned to be somewhat patient, knowing that they will get a bite. It's a great way to bond with your dog and reinforce your position as the alpha personality, too, and with these dogs it's an absolute necessity.

And thanks for the link. When I'm not so exhausted I'll check it out thoroughly. Charlie and I spent most of the evening looking in the woods for a new calf. We finally found it, and the poor little thing appears to be blind. I had to walk it all the way up the hill out of the woods to the pasture near the house where it would be safer, and we've been trying to get some milk into it. With any luck, one of the warehouse guys who works for Charlie will take it home and let his girlfriend raise it, since she's got more time to baby it and they've got a pen where they can keep it safe and sound. We've just got too many cows and no penned areas where a baby like that would be safe.

I

iluvmydogs04

Lou said:
how often can i give TJ a dentabone .. the ones from pedigree. The package says one a day but is that too much? :confused:
Hi,
I give my dogs dentabones quiet often usualy one every 3 days.
We also give ares greenies they like those a lot and they are good for them.
:)
Amanda

mom2two

I give my two dogs the DentaGreens also, they absolutely love them. I have to buy the smallest ones for them so I am on the opposite end of the spectrum but man, do they devour those like I never feed them or something. I feed our dogs "Sensible Choice" which is less corn filler and better for them according to our vet. They were raised from the puppymill we rescued them from on Eukenuba, too expensive...They love the Sensible Choice and it is very reasonable!

By the way I love the Doberking photo!

Beth

mom2two

Renee were do you get the Innova from? On line ordering or a local place? It sounds wonderful. Too bad I do not have a recipe for homeade dog food....

Beth

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
Renee750il said:
Love the photo! You 'd get a laugh at my girls in their wading pool - especially little (did I really call her that?) Kharma. She sticks her head under the water and blows bubbles. For no reason at all other than fun. I've never seen a dog do that before and I could stand there and watch her forever. Shiva gets in and starts digging in the water. She'll stick her big head under and bite at things - real or imagined - on the bottom of the pool.

I had to laugh about the hot dog. Ours don't dare do anything like that; Charlie's made it clear to them that something really bad will happen if they interfere with his food. No one in their right mind would get between Charlie and his food! And he's one of those obnoxious people who never puts on any weight, either. (lol) Of course, they look at ME with those big, droopy sad faces while we're eating! I've always had a habit of sharing the last bite with the dog, so they've learned to be somewhat patient, knowing that they will get a bite. It's a great way to bond with your dog and reinforce your position as the alpha personality, too, and with these dogs it's an absolute necessity.

And thanks for the link. When I'm not so exhausted I'll check it out thoroughly. Charlie and I spent most of the evening looking in the woods for a new calf. We finally found it, and the poor little thing appears to be blind. I had to walk it all the way up the hill out of the woods to the pasture near the house where it would be safer, and we've been trying to get some milk into it. With any luck, one of the warehouse guys who works for Charlie will take it home and let his girlfriend raise it, since she's got more time to baby it and they've got a pen where they can keep it safe and sound. We've just got too many cows and no penned areas where a baby like that would be safe.
I really need to get online and check the boards more often. But I'll respond anyway. Even if it has been forever and a day.

How much does Kharma weigh? She probably weighs more than Duke, but he's only 79 lbs. He was around 95 lbs when I got him, but now that he gets a little more exercise and has a better diet, he's all muscle. Shiva oughta meet Duke. Instead of biting at imaginary things, he likes to bark at them. One time he was so convinced that there was something he should bark at standing on the neighbor's porch that I couldn't even get him to go on a walk. If only he could put some of that energy into keeping himself clean. He met a GSD mix at the park once for a playdate, and as soon as he got into the fenced area, he started digging in the mud puddles. No puddle in there went untouched by Duke and his paws.

I laughed about the hot dog thing too. After he did it my jaw had to be on the ground. He was raised without people food. I don't think they even let him in the room while they ate, and here he is eating my hot dog like it's nothing. He's not even patient at the dinner table. He'll rest his head on the table and look at you like he hasn't eaten in years. Meanwhile his food is sitting next to him in a nice clean bowl. It must be pure torture to smell such great food and then watch it go up into my mouth. I do eventually save something to give to him after I'm done, but even knowing that he'll get something doesn't stop the pathetic begging.

I checked out that link and it doesn't say much on the site. If you want, I can post the ingredients in the DentaGreen bones. I'd have to go buy some more, but I'm sure the chowhound would appreciate it. Or, maybe Beth could be so kind as to post the ingredients. :)

The DoberKing thanks you for the compliments on his lovely photo, both Renee and Beth. And he sends his well wishes to the little calf you found. I hope he's doing okay.

Kharma's just turned 6 months old and probably weighs between 70 and 75 pounds. Shiva's 11 months old and is on the far side of 130 pounds, probably pushing 140. Shiva now waits until we're gone and climbs up on things to get to the food that's more interesting than hers, and unfortunately she knows how to unscrew lids and remove plastic covers. She's very fond of mixed nuts and wasabi coated peas. You don't have to guess how much she likes peanut butter! And you should see her trying to stick that big tongue in empty Negro Modela bottles! One of her favorite treats is yogurt. If I've got some that's getting close to being out of date (or is out of date) I just take the lid off and give it to her - outside!

Kharma's favorite treat is anything she steals from Shiva or whatever's in Bimmer's bowl that he's willing to share with her. Right now Kharma and Shiva are engrossed in pulling apart the remains of a Ben and Jerry's ice cream carton.

Members online