Fights

tl_ashmore

Spoiled Rotten Dog
I'm not really sure what is going on, but the girls are starting to fight pretty often. Bula and Dixie have gotten into a couple of little fights. They haven't hurt each other or anything, they just make a lot of noise. Then, on the weekends, when I take Bula and Dixie to see Harley and Mars, Dixie almost always fights with one of them. When one of the dogs growls or something at Bula, she will just roll over on her back and lay there. I'm not sure if they are just getting territorial or if they are jealous or what. It may even be that they get to playing to rough and one or the other gets mad. But I know when I bring my dogs home and give them a bath, they always have some new scratches on them. Do any of you have problems with your dogs fighting. If so, I could really use some advice.

Debi

No big problem with fights...but Addie and Hammie sometimes squabble and yes, there is alot of noise. Addie adored Hammie, until he became bigger...now it's a power play between the two. Hammie is going to be neutered in Aug., I sure hope that helps. Hammie just only has to flip a paw to put Addie down...she isn't taking to that real well. I worry constantly that it will develope into something bigger......because at this point, it is my Addie that would get hurt...and it would be her that initiated it. She is fighting so hard for the 'alpha' spot. We treat her as the 'top' dog......but it is the size factor that is becoming the problem. I find Addie is attacking the cat when she comes in...poor sweetie....it is someone she can control. Since you pup is laying down...sounds like submission. Be so careful, though.....don't want anyone to get hurt. I want Hammie and Addie to go back to the playful pals they once were. Addie needed a playmate.......sorta makes me sad that she is becoming so threatened by Hammie 'taking over'. That's why I got another pup....Addie seemed so lonely. Guess I should have picked someone more her size. Maybe when Hammie is neutered..he won't be so darn set on being dominant....we'll see. I may have to split them up more. Sometimes I feel like I am dealing with children...rival siblings........lol :(

Bula may be reacting submissively because she's the guest in Mars' and Harley's territory. Dixie sounds like she's not about to give up any ground to anyone, no way, no how.

Bula and Mars are growing up and there's going to be some jockeying for position as they mature. Just keep them supervised and when an argument breaks out, chastise everyone involved so they know that you won't tolerate that kind of behaviour. If one of them is bullying, make the bully go sit in solitary confinement for awhile. (That should help with Addie picking on the cat, too, Debi.) They're smart. It's amazing how quickly they figure things out.

tl_ashmore

Spoiled Rotten Dog
That is true about Dixie. She is the smallest out of all the dogs, but she WILL NOT bow down to anyone. (She is the oldest also) Hopefully things will work out. The situation with Bula and Mars is, they start off playing, but I think they just start playing to rough, and one of them accidentally hurts the other, then they get mad. There haven't been any Real Bad fights yet, so I am hoping it won't escalate.

From everything you've said, they sound like they are sweet natured dogs who want to please you, so as long as they know that you won't tolerate quarrels, you should be able to keep things from getting ugly.

tl_ashmore

Spoiled Rotten Dog
Well, the dogs did pretty good this weekend. When I brought Bula and Dixie home, they didn't have any new marks. So, maybe they will be ok.

Members online

No members online now.