I once had a dream....

mctraill

When I was around 6 or 7 years old I used to dream about this wonderful dog I would have one day. We would have such fun, walking nicely in the park, going running, he would never need a leash as he would never stray far from me and when I called his name he would come running. He would never bark at other people and try to jump up, he would play with other dogs, everyone would say how handsome he is, I would be the envy of all my friends.

Here I am 40 years later, just got my first dog, a 2 yer old lab mix, who has had no training so we found out later. The reality is, anytime she can see just a small opening she is out the door and down the road, never comes back when called, she wants to eat everything in sight and begs for food no matter how much she has just eaten.she barks constantly when anyone so much as goes by the fence or drives by the house. She seems to hate other dogs and thinks the squirrels at the local park are there for her to chase, taking me with her.

But I wouldnt swop her for all the tea in china (as they say in Yorkshire, UK), when she comes along and rests her pretty face on my lap and looks at me with those big taffy coloured eyes and her big pink tounge hanging out, I cant help but smile and my heart melts, she was worth the wait, life is not boring or dull with my wonderful companion around.

Just thought I would share that with you all, as my dog took off this morning after a squirrel and nearly put me in hospital, I just took my eye off her for a minute so I didnt see her get into chase mode, off she went I lost my footing and slammed into a tree, nearly breaking my shoulder, I am now black and blue and all I can say is thank god no one was around to see me being dragged along the ground by this big black lab.LOL I was mad at the time but now all I can do is laugh, I must have looked a sight.

2BlackDogs

Are you planning on putting her through some training classes? What you described in your dream can be done with the dog you have, it will just take training. She sounds like a wonderful girl. Did you rescue her?

I did the exact same thing a little while ago. I had my dog outside on his leash and I took my eye off him for just a minute and he took off after something and I went right into a tree and landed in sticker bushes on the ground. very painful.

Post some pics when you can. we would love to see your girl.

mctraill

I took her to a 6 week training class which she did well at. I am now waiting for the trainer to set up the next one.
We rescued her 4 months ago, she had been kept in crate which was to small for her for 2 years, she was only let out when she was taken outside to p & P, the people moved house and said that the new place wasnt big enough, hence keeping her in a crate, it took them 2 years to finally let her go. She really is a wonderful dog, because despite people treating her badly, she is really tolerant of children, when shes had enough she just goes to her crate in another room, fortunaltey we dont have small children round very often. I will post some pictures of her as soon as i work out how to do it.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
My victor can run like the wind. ANd when he came he didnt' mind worth a hoot. I had to boundry train him, and worked furiously on recall. Never ever punishing when he came (and believe me he bet the bank on that) never ever scolding him after i caught him, even if i wanted to more then anything too! It took awhile. Don't give up heart, you will get there eventually. REally work hard on the recall, and keep up your obedience each and every day. THe dog has got to respect you and learn that your command is God's law. I know the last time Victor got in that stance...you know the one, that says your not close enough to grab me and i am soooo gonna make a run for it! I stood there and said NO< don't YOU DARE> With my hands on my hips. ANd his whole face changed, and he didn't. IT was one of the most proud moments of my life. I brought him in and gave him a whole piece of pizza and told him he was the king's first born as far as i was concerned.
I am so glad you finally got a dog! My brother never really got what it was i was so stuck on when it came to canines. Then about your age he finally got one himself and now he is so infatuated in a good way. He is concerned about his daughter's dog and how she makes it stay outside when she is not there. He said it is like having abused grandchildren. Just cracks me up.

mctraill

I never realised just how much time it takes to train a dog, its a labour of love alright. I am glad I waited until I was in my 40's as I dont think I would have had the paitence to do this in my younger days. I spend every day walking and training as everything I have read on this forum says the more you train the better the reward. I know what your brother means, when I see a dog being kept in the garden, I find myself saying to my dog, se ethat poor dog isnt as lucky as you, they dont get to go out for walks like you do, she just looks up at me with a look as if to say, Yeah, Yeah kind of reminds me of my son when he was a teenager. LOL

Members online