Odd Names!

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
Did anyone else here give something an odd name when they were little and it has stuck with you for your whole life?? Something your family recognises but everyone else who hears it thinks you're mad?

My friend popped round to see me today and I was feeding the cat. I asked her to pass me the Chuggley Nuts and she was like "WHAT!!" I was like can you pass the Chuggley Nuts!! She said what in the world are chuggley nuts? I was like "Dur!" Cat Biscuits (Dry Cat food).
She said, why do you call them Chuggley Nuts? I said I couldn't remember why, but i've always called them Chuggley Nuts for as long as I can remember!
I rang my mum up and said to her (Just to make sure I wasn't going mad!) "What are Chuggley Nuts?" And she said, "Cat Biscuits! Why?" I was like No reason!
I asked her why we called them Chuggley Nuts and she said she had no Idea!
I guess it's because they make that sort of noise in the box when you shake it!
I was soooo embarrased! :eek: My friend thinks i'm crazy! (she's probably right!) But at least Katelina got her Chuggley's!!! :D

That's funny! That's definitely going to stick in my mind!

My little cousin, Scottie, used to make up names for things when he was about two. My favorite was his name for cats. His mom had a Siamese (plus kittens :rolleyes: ) and you know how much Siamese talk and how they sound! Scottie called cats "owanders" because of their talk. They're owanders to this day in our family.

Irish

This is a little different because it involves a human name but -

My family is irish and I have an Uncle Donny, but we grew up calling him Uncle Dawney because of my grandmother's irish accent; that was how she pronounced Donny. My whole life I thought nothing of talking about my "Uncle Dawney" but people are like "Whats his name????" It sounds strange to call him Uncle Donny, thats just not his name!

bubbatd

I used to have a neighbor whose name was "LD" Childs ........I asked him once what his real name was, and he answered it was always LD. Later I learned that he was the youngest of 10 children,,,,hmmmmmmmmmm "Last D@mn" maybe ?? LOL!!!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
my daughter named her two goldfish..Boots and Juice..Boots cracked me up cause why? would she name a fish that!

Dunno, Grammy! I've got a good friend whose name is L.E. That's it, just L.E. And he was an only child! The only explanation he ever got was that his parents couldn't agree on a name for him . . . :rolleyes:

EliNHunter

How about odd words we use with our pets that they know? Like when I was growing up, we'd call the dogs to dinner by yelling out NUMMY NUM! NUMMY NUM! And they'd all come running for dinner! And my word to let them out to go is POT POT. And to go somewhere in the car is CAR CAR.

They all know what it means, that's for sure!

Lol - we tell the dogs to "go get the cowsies" or to "leave the cowsies alone." They know exactly what we're talking about . . . They also know what "dammit" means. :eek:

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
This is going to be really confusing so bear with me lol.

When I was little I mean 3 or 4 I used to go over to my friends house over the summer and we would watch you knoe Nick or PBS or something like that. Well there used to be a show we loved and we called it Peatles thing is thats not what the show was called and the main character wasent even called Peatles. The girl did kind of look like she had a Pea Head though. Anyways we still call that show Peatles even though its not on tv anymore. It was weird

When i was little I called my first guitar my Guitie I was weird lol.

I started calling cats Kitters when I agan was little and i guess thought it was cool. I still call them kitters to this day and my dogs mutters.

thats about it :)

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
Oh I've got loads of strange names for things!! Maybe our family should have got out more!! :D
I remember being really little, at that stage where you're aware of everything but not able to talk very well! And our neighbour was called Christopher Walter. I heard my mum and dad talking about him one day an naturally I tied to copy them by saying his name. I got it a bit wrong and he ended up as "Kissyfur Water" And thus he stayed! "Kissyfur Water" till this day!!

I think I better get some help! I sound really odd!!! :D

EliNHunter

Ok, I can't believe my mom didn't beat me to this one. But when I was REAL little (couldn't really talk yet), I guess we were all in a truckstop having a meal while travelling, once. A big semi went by the window and I screamed at the top of my lungs while pointing at it "A F*CK!!! A F*CK!!!" :eek:

Guess I couldn't pronounce "TR's" yet...

Oh! That happened to me when I was taking care of a friend's little boy. He was obsessed with firetrucks, but like you, he couldn't pronounce the "TR" sound. Of course, we're going into a mall, and it's Fire Prevention Week . . . and guess what was parked right outside the entrance :eek:

I thought I was going to hurt myself trying not to laugh. It didn't help that his older brother and sister were about to pee themselves giggling :rolleyes:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
When you get stuck with the name Susan..little kids can't say it so you become things like SHUSHAN or one child dubbed me suling..then because there are always a zillion Susans..you are either little susan or Big susan. At my height i got stuck with Big susan. Gack I like Smkie a whole lot better.

bubbatd

My mother swore there were sisters in her class named Ima and Eura ....their last name was Hogg. My girls were to school with a boy whose last name was Knuckles....he name his son Nickolus ....nice but a everyone called him Nicky Poor kid.!

bubbatd

I was building up to the TR = F !!! And yes our door knew /know alot of words....sometimes we had to spell in front of them. I always used to tell the puppies to "squat" (since they all did at that age ) .... I still did when they grew up and they all did it with the command. If we are going in the car I tell Chip to squat first and he always pees. BTW...Amy always called herself MiMi. Elder daughter called her brother Baboo....but she meant Bad Boy...it stuck.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Hyia dubbed Aaron Orion..and his friend still call him that sometimes..She also calls him baba but that is common. I like Orion tho.

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
Haha, this thread is priceless. I swore mine was the only family who did this :) I call sunny side up eggs "dippy eggs" to this day when I go out to eat. The waitress looks at me like I am crazy but it took me until I was in highschool to figure out that wasn't the "real" name. I called elephants "Packyderms" (pachaderms the genus of elephants I think) My dad thought it would be fun to hear a 4 year old say pachyderm at the zoo so that was what they were until I got corrected and threw a fit in kindergarten . We lived around amish country and for whatever reason (yeah, daddy again) we called horse and buggies "borse and huggies". There are "moo cows" in the field, We ate SPU ga Hetie for dinner (spaghettie), Hores de oovras (hor derves) , and many other silly things that he as an adult could have pronounced but thought it funny to teach us kids to say wrong. My very favorite though is Pa Tera Dactels (ptyeradactyls). we had these little jelly jar glasses that you could collect from smuckers and they had dinosaurs on them. Well, daddy thought we should all say it wrong so the baby would say it wrong (like me and the packyderms), and all was well until my older sister was in class and the teacher was asking about types of dinosaurs. She raised her hand and proudly named Pa Tera Dactels as a variety of dinosaur. um...oops. :mad: :rolleyes: :D

Martine

Trained by an Airedale
Me and my sisters called diggers 'digger noppers' and I still find it comes straight to mind whenever I see one....

EliNHunter

Not to digress (but I will) to odd names for your pets, "but" I am sorry to say Hunter's nickname has now become "Butt". It stems from when I tell him to turn around so I can see his butt and I say "YEP! It's still SILLY!" So, then came "Silly Butt", and now it's just "Butt" :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.