blouted puppy??

do puppies get bloated lol?? chase isnt a fat dog.. but his body loox unusually large now.. i fed him a lil more today and he went to tha bathroom but he still loox big.. thnx for your help.. raymond

i dno?? could he?? lol.. he jus loox wider then normal and he didnt b4 his dinner.. like his head loox normla and everything.. jus his body loox koinda blouted

gapeach

Big Mutts
I don't think I'd be worried yet unless he's acting like he doesn't feel good. You'll find out soon enuff if he has gas!

Saje

Island dweller
I think they can. I KNOW they get gas. LOL Maybe walk him and see if it settles down.

gapeach

Big Mutts
Seems like I remeber Carey's tummy doing the same thing when she was a puppy. Maybe something like when you drink something all at once and you can feel the liquid slosh around?

Saje

Island dweller
Yeah puppies get distended bellies. All babies do. People to if you think about thanksgiving dinner and undoing your belt. LOL With bloat though I always think about water retention or something. Usually a light walk helps things get moving properly again.

It might be gas like everyone is saying. When my dachshund gets that I normally give him a back rub. Do this outside unless you want a gassy room.

-Jon

gapeach

Big Mutts
Speaking of gas my Carey has been having a lot more than usual. Could it be b/c she's getting kinda chunky? I'm thinking of switching her to fit and trim and I've been trying to exercise her more.

gapeach

Big Mutts
As I was typing she's pooting but will look for replies later got to get to bed goodnight everybody

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
gas can be as dangerous for a puppy who has gotten into something he shouldn't have as for any other animal....make very very sure that he did not get to any sponges, or foam type product..watch his stools very carefully for the next day or so. I would keep a good eye on him for the next 24 for sure. Too much food and not enough water with the meal...then too much water later can kill a puppy. That is why you always want to make sure they have both at feeding time. They will eat more food trying to ease the thirst..then when the water does come that food swells. Let us ..me know that all is well tomorrow. I am a worry wort.

sharpeilover

Dogs rule humans drool
have u wormed yr puppy,

plus wen r u walking him, when a dog had breakfast u should wait about 1 hour till u walk him/her otherwise they are prone to a twisted gut. Come in certain breeds like boxer and big chested breeds but can happen to others

Bloat can be very serious. What kind of puppy do you have, Peach? And what kind of food are you feeding? There are some good articles on bloat here: http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles.htm, and there is a lot of information out there if you'll do a search using the words "canine" and "bloat"

It's something you need to be aware of - and it's not just something that happens in deep chested dogs anymore, possibly because of factors like poor breeding and the awful dog foods being manufactured.

Debi

when I see a puppy with a bloated belly, I also think of worms as a possibility. Don't rely on OTC wormers....the stuff from the vet is the best. If it's been awhile since the vet checked a stool sample, I'd consider doing that. Also, you don't always see them in their stools, yet they are there. Course, could just be that wonderful baby fat of roly poly puppies. :)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Just keep an eye on things..i know stories that nobody wants to know here..they are terribly sad. We sold approximately 3 litters a year. It was my job to take care of the female from the beginning and to handle the sale of the puppies. I would tell people every single time..that their puppy was a toddler and would chew on anything and everything..that it is important to "proof" your home before the puppy had free roaming rites...not everyone listened. So when i hear of bloated puppies i tend to keep a good eye on them. A little distention could be normal, could also be a belly full of round worms..those that work at shelters could probably attest to this..it is incredible how many worms can come out of such tiny puppies.. Don't want to sound like a paranoid.because i am not..that is not the point. It is very important tho if feeding dry food to keep lots of fresh water..and keep the house toddler proof. i try to tell people that especially when their puppy is very young..it should always be in the same room as them, unless they have a "safe" room. Best for toilet training..too. what always amazed me were the people that didn't listen thought they could bring back their dead puppy and exchange it for a live one..made me want to snatch the hair from their heads. They never got another one out of me.

gapeach

Big Mutts
Renee75Oil, my dog Carey has the gas discussed, Puppy go luckii's puppy has the bloat. Sorry for confusion. Sage Carey is on Purina Dog Chow, but she's been on it her whole life (except when puppy) and the gas has just started being a problem. I mean she's always had some, who's dog doesn't? But this is more than usual in probably the last couple of months. Could it be that she's a little heavy?

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
If mary get's her head in the food bin and founders...it is all i can do to stay in the same house with her gack gack! ARe you feeding once a day large meal, or twice or more little meals?

okay now im a lil worried.. i looked at his stooles and there were like lines in it.. but ive never rly inspected his poop b4.. and today he pooped alot more then avg. like alot alot more.. does that happen when dogs have worms?? what do they look like??

and for tha questions chase is a 4 month old min pin.. and i feed him purina 3 times a day..

Members online

No members online now.