Picky Dog!!!!!

Ok I have a problem with my dogs eating habits...Every morning I give him some dry food mixed with wet food as a treat (I know...bad habit to get into) and he eats all of it with no problems. He gets dry food later in the day but won't seem to touch it without the wet food...He eats it once in a while...I feel like he isn't getting enough food...How can I get him to eat?....All the stuff that is good for him, he seems to not like...He eats Pedigree dry food...Any suggestions?

Dogs will usually eat if they're hungry unless they just hate the taste. You don't say how much food Jack is eating in the morning. It may be that he eats enough then to last him the day.

My Bimmer doesn't seem to eat enough, either, especially in the summer, but he likes to come back and nibble during the day, plus he's very likely to have caught a big tasty rabbit or groundhog to supplement his diet! I also know that the dog food he's eating is giving him optimum nutrition.

I hope you'll read some of the other threads on feeding and nutrition.

Thanks for your reply Renee...He eats maybe 1 1/2 maybe 2 cups every morning...I feel that Pedigree isn't good enough...I have a feeling he wouldnt like Eukanuba (spelling)..I did check out that Innova I saw in other threads...There are absolutely no stores in my area that carry it....Anyway, by the end of the night I hear his belly growling and I don't want to give him more wet food..I just want him to eat his dry food...

I really don't see that feeding him Eukanuba would be much of an improvement over Pedigree.

Check out some of the other organic dog foods and see if you can't find some available in your area, or ask your vet about carrying some. Most vets carry Eukanuba and/or Science Diet, but I just don't see enough difference in their quality to justify the cost.

If you'll go to the site www.naturapet.com, there is a protocol that lets you compare foods and their ingredients. It will also give you some ideas about lots of other high quality organic foods, so maybe you can find one locally. There are more than you'd think; Flint River, Eagle, Karma, California Natural, the list is actually longer than you'd think.

Your dog is probably going to try to hold out for more canned food. Just hold the line. He's not going to let himself starve, but he will try to see if he can outlast you. Remember, you're training him; don't let him train you! I have to tell myself that all the time with my devious little monsters!

Thanks for the advice Renee...I will check out that website...I'm doing pretty good holding the line :)...Again, thanks for your advice..I appreciate it!!

ruth27

Why dont you try putting a bit of water in his dry food coz he seems to like it wet than dry. I feed my pups moistened dry food and its worked wonders ;) Hope that helped a bit :D

Alyusha

if nothing anyone else susgested works. I think it would be a good idea to gradually work him off it. just like switchign food. Start to put less and less wet food in. After so long. Only put the greece from it in the food so he will get the taste and sent of it. But not the food. After that hopefully he will not be so demanding for the wet food. Just dont give into him.

Sheba

I W A L R
if your dog isnt eating enough, you should bring him over to 45 Rosemead ln. that is in cheektowaga. Ill have him talk to my dog,Wendy, she doesnt eat as much dry food either!

Hi,
what i would do is stop giving him wet food in the morning and after a little whiel he will get used to only having dry food.
I understand i dont liek my dogs to be on w t food all the time because its not good for them.
As long as hes eating some of the dry food during the time your not giving him wet food it should be fine! :)

maui

Wet Food not healthy?

Other than dental issues, how would wet food not be as healthy as dry?

Members online

No members online now.