puppy biting !

Hi guys,

I guess the adjustment period is over Heidi is starting to go after the cat I think she is playing but she will bite the furniture. I will yell at her to stop is this the right thing? :confused: also she is pulling out hair of our older dog Scooter :( . Scooter is starting to snap at her when she is pulling his hair what do I do about that? I want to put thing in front of her instead to distract her I hope that is the way to do it. and do I disipline scooter when he snaps? Peacekeeper

Brattina88

Try startling her by going 'eh-eh' or something to this effect. When she stops, praise her a little and try giving her a fun toy to play with, to distract her. Does she always pull Scooter's hair at the same spot? Is there actions that tell you she is about to do it again (being provoked)? I don't think that it is necissary at this point to disipline Scooter when he snaps, it hurts, and he's telling her so & to stop. If he goes a little too far with his disiplining of Heidi then you could tell him that's enough. HTH

Hey Brattina88, thnx for the suggestions. will try them in the morning if she goes after Scooter again. She's only 10 weeks old and a Shelty as well. she really doesn't know any better, but it's not to late to teach her. Thnx, Peacekeeper.

PS: We live in Ohio as well

Oh, she's trying to herd poor Scooter! You should see my three trying to herd each other. Kharma (at 12 weeks now) grabs at Bimmer and Shiva's heels. Bimmer just leaps straight up in the air over her and behind her; Shiva (8 1/2 months now - 120 pounds!) just turns around - with Kharma still firmly attached to her back leg - and grabs Kharma by the back leg. After Shiva and Kharma get disentangled from each other they jockey for position to move the other one around. Kharma's favorite spot is directly underneath Shiva where Shiva can't get at her. Then she starts nipping at Shiva's elbows, trying to get her to move where Kharma wants her to go. If Shiva tries to herd Kharma, the little terror just faces her off and pounces on poor Shiva's face.

Neither one of them try very hard to herd Bimmer. He is so much faster than they are that he can leave them behind, literally, in his dust. Initially, though, with both of the girls, he would snap at them, sometimes rolling them over on their backs and "yelling" at them nose to nose, to establish that he was definitely The Boss Dog.
Scooter will most likely get Heidi settled down in her place. You're doing the right thing by backing him up and not scolding him for snapping at her. Make sure when you feed them or treat them or even pet them both that Scooter is always first. That will reinforce his position and help teach Heidi how things work in your pack.

Members online

No members online now.