Frodo needs vibes...heading to the vets [Archive] - Chazhound Dog Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Frodo needs vibes...heading to the vets

PWCorgi
07-30-2008, 02:07 PM
For the past two days Frodo has had some pretty bad diarrhea. I wasn't too worried as I thought it was because I started adding California Natural canned food in their Kongs and that he was just getting used to it.

Well, I came home from work today and my kitchen floor is covered in bloody diarrhea, he had to have gone 10-15 times. While I was cleaning it up he went again (he didn't even make an attempt to let me know he had to go to the bathroom) and there was just as much blood as there was stool.

We're leaving for the vets in a few minutes.

:(

SmexyPibble
07-30-2008, 02:08 PM
Oh no! I hope it isn't too bad. Hopefully he feels much better soon.

Keep us updated! :(

Beanie
07-30-2008, 02:16 PM
Ohhh, poor Frodo. =< Let us know what the vet says... I will be anxiously waiting an update.

Laurelin
07-30-2008, 02:18 PM
Poor Frodo. Hope the vet goes well.

corgipower
07-30-2008, 02:36 PM
Sending healing vibes and corgi fairies. Hope it's nothing serious.

jess2416
07-30-2008, 02:37 PM
*good vibes being sent*

((hugs)) I hope its nothing serious

Pandemonium
07-30-2008, 02:38 PM
Beagle kisses and {good vibes} from us for poor Frodo!

Kayota
07-30-2008, 02:42 PM
Ohh Frodo. -hugs and vibes for both of you- :(

Baxter'smybaby
07-30-2008, 03:26 PM
sending all the good thoughts I can--I hope he will be alright.

Dekka
07-30-2008, 03:42 PM
oh no.... <<<<<good vibes>>>> sent.

drmom777
07-30-2008, 04:05 PM
Sending good vibes. I had a horrible incident with similar symptoms with Mini- she turned out to have hemorrhagic enterocolitis. How old is Frodo?

I hope he gets better fast!

JennSLK
07-30-2008, 04:34 PM
Let us know ASAP!

jess2416
07-30-2008, 04:41 PM
Sending good vibes. I had a horrible incident with similar symptoms with Mini- she turned out to have hemorrhagic enterocolitis. How old is Frodo?

I hope he gets better fast!

Im not PW, but I believe that Frodo and Izzie are around the same age Chloe is, and she will be 3 in November

SizzleDog
07-30-2008, 05:08 PM
Poor dude, good vibes heading your way... hoping it's nothing major!

smkie
07-30-2008, 05:29 PM
Prayers for Frodo. Worries right along with you.

Paige
07-30-2008, 05:30 PM
feel better!

PWCorgi
07-30-2008, 05:48 PM
Thank you everybody!

First off, I hate when I can't see my own vet, HATE IT!

The vet I saw just gave me a couple cans of Purina EN (Gastroenteric) which will probably be ditched for some chicken and rice, Flagyl pills, and 3 packets of Panacur Granules. Fine. Do I think it could be something more? Yes. But I'm willing to give it a few days and then get an appointment with my regular vet.

Here's the issue. I was worried about the possibility of it being the new Parvo strain (F strain I guess it's called), so I asked her if I could have a Parvo test done. Well, there is no such thing says the vet. I told her I had read about it and KNEW people who had dogs that had been affected. She said it was a phenomenon that was extremely rare. I told her that I'd still like the test done just for my own piece of mind. She says again she's never heard of it and proceeded to go back into the back room and asked another vet if they had heard of it, apparently they hadn't. Well, whoa boy! If they haven't heard of it of course it doesn't exist! This also takes away a lot of my trust in the vets office if they don't stay up to date on stuff like this.

Anyway, I basically said f*ck it, got the meds and left. I'm going to print out a bunch of info on the virus and take it in for them to read and I'll probably complain. The way she acted just irked me. Made me realize how much I value my regular vet who can look past my age and can talk to me instead of talking down at me.

Frodo also decided he wasn't going to put up with the smack talking of a St. Bernard in the waiting room and get snarky while I way paying for the visit. *facepalm*

Anyway, Frodo is home and sleeping. He did amazing when the tech was taking his temperature and such, usually he is squirmy and loud but he just stood there today. We also got to socialize with a guy outside while we waited for our turn, he did really really well and the guy was super helpful in doing anything I asked. He was there because his puppy has an obstruction :(

Thanks again everybody!

DrMom, Jess is right (thanks Jess :)) he'll be 3 in January.

jess2416
07-30-2008, 05:51 PM
I hope he feels better soon :) oh that would irk the **** out of me, Im so lucky with my vet, both of the ones I have seen have been great.. Im sorry you had to go through that :(

(P.S. I thought I remembered that they were around the same age lol)

corgipower
07-30-2008, 06:02 PM
Parvo wouldn't be my first worry in an adult dog. The problem is that the symptoms - bloody diarrhea - can be any number of things. Most likely what the vet suspects is that it's either the food or he got giardia. The flagyl and panacur will help with giardia. The EN will let his digestive system rest.

The blood doesn't mean much more than colitis - inflammation of the colon, which happens with diarrhea. Not really a symptom. Keep an eye on him and be sure he stays hydrated.

Give him a hug from me and try not to worry too much.

bubbatd
07-30-2008, 06:08 PM
Poor guy !!! Did they take a butt swab ??? I sure wouldn't be happy with that vet's attitude !

PWCorgi
07-30-2008, 06:08 PM
Thanks Jess, my normal vet is very very good, but we couldn't see him today cause they just squeezed us in.

CP, is it normal for it to be ONLY blood? Cause he just went and there was no fecal matter at all, just blood.

And I'm looking at the new Parvo strain that affects dogs that are vaccinated against Parvo. And it could very well not be parvo, it was her attitude about it that made me angry.

drmom777
07-30-2008, 06:12 PM
Just keep making sure he is well hydrated. small dogs with bad diarrhea get dehydrated really easily- especially in this weather. Keep us posted, please. We worry.

Baxter'smybaby
07-30-2008, 06:13 PM
PW--Baxter and Trav both had symptoms like this in the winter--both were treated as you described with Flagl, and change in diet until symptoms have subsided. Both were diagnosed with gastroenteritis--and both had bloody diarrhea. I hope Frodo heals up quickly.
As for the hydration--I used Pedialyte--worked well.

Buddy'sParents
07-30-2008, 06:17 PM
I hope he feels better soon! :(

drmom777
07-30-2008, 06:19 PM
Mini had diarrhea that was bloody, then turned to frank blood, then she started vomiting blood as well. She had no elevated white count, but was hemoconcentrated in spite of the blood loss because of the fluid loss. She had hemorrhagic enterocolitis and almost died. but we got her on IV fluids, and she did well, and within a couple of days it was hard to tell there had ever been a problem. It was scary- very scary, but she did great.

On initial presentation my vet kept thinking she had gotten into rat poison or something like it...until he got the bloodwork back.

I am not trying to be an alarmist, and most likely Frodo has something entirely different. Dehydration is still your enemy. Apparently Hemorrhagic Enterocolitis is most common in small, younger dogs- that is why i asked about the age.

Once again, usually the big enemy is dehyration. With a small dog be quick to intervene. They get dehydrated way easier than bigger dogs--same principle as babies vs adult humans.

PWCorgi
07-30-2008, 06:23 PM
He's been drinking a lot throughout the day and he just had half a can of the EN loaded down with water.

Renee750il
07-30-2008, 07:07 PM
*sigh* *worries*

Glad you're here, DrMom :)

corgipower
07-30-2008, 07:57 PM
CP, is it normal for it to be ONLY blood? Cause he just went and there was no fecal matter at all, just blood.

And I'm looking at the new Parvo strain that affects dogs that are vaccinated against Parvo. And it could very well not be parvo, it was her attitude about it that made me angry.

Yes, it is normal for it to be only blood. As for the "new" parvo strain, it's not new, most adult vaccinated dogs are protected against it and the ones who aren't probably aren't protected against any of the strains.

http://www.petconnection.com/blog/2008/02/08/parvo/

Mini had diarrhea that was bloody, then turned to frank blood, then she started vomiting blood as well.

Yea, and bloody diarrhea can be serious or it can be not as serious. Always warrants a vet trip, but if Frodo doesn't get worse - if he doesn't start vomiting, if his attitude doesn't decline, if he eats and drinks, if he responds to meds, it's probably on the not as serious end of things.

Morgan had bloody diarrhea which turned into just blood from pancreatitis and almost died. Recently all of mine had bloody diarrhea, and yes, it turned into nothing but blood, and it was giardia. Tyr had bloody diarrhea which turned into just blood when he had food poisoning.

I agree that it's pretty alarming that the vet's don't know of the new strain of parvo, and as for not testing for it, I doubt that mine would test for it - minimally invasive medicine, although if I insisted enough, she would - in the end - run the test.

smkie
07-30-2008, 08:18 PM
Healing vibes for little frodo. I am so sorry he feels so bad, i hope tomorrow is brighter.

Duke'sMommy
07-30-2008, 08:25 PM
Good vibes that its nothing serious. Duke had diarrhea, well uncontrollable diarrhea for 3 days, bloody diarrhea started on the second because I tried to change his food. Half a cup of new food did it to him.

Hopefully its just the food that upset Frodo's stomach.

Zoom
07-30-2008, 09:31 PM
H.E. generally affects female dogs over male as well. I learned this when I took a little "Mini Aussie" (read: Pom mix) to the vet at the boarding resort for similar symptoms and that's what I was told. She just had a very bad case of gastro. and was cleared up with Metro. The resort feeds Purina EN anyway, so that was taken care of already.

Good vibes for Frodo! Sometimes dogs just get random crap that scares us. Sawyer had bad diarrhea a few months ago, never quite found out what it was but a round of Flagyl with a couple of days of chicken/rice cleared it up.

bubbatd
07-30-2008, 10:03 PM
This is so worrysome ........................

PWCorgi
07-30-2008, 10:06 PM
Thanks again everybody.

I gave him some more food with some Pedialyte in it, so hopefully that will help with his hydration.

He's carrying his ear down again, so I think his earache might be coming back, which is all we need.

Beanie
07-30-2008, 11:58 PM
Did they run a fecal at all?? You probably didn't have a stool sample but they could have at least tried a fecal loop to get some out of him. I wonder if it might even be as simple as an overgrowth of bacteria - but the JUST blood and no diarrhea makes me think it's probably not... no idea.

Poor poor Frodo. I'm sending him all kinds of warm fuzzy healthy thoughts.

corgipower
07-31-2008, 12:06 AM
I wonder if it might even be as simple as an overgrowth of bacteria - but the JUST blood and no diarrhea makes me think it's probably not... no idea.

I was just thinking that. I had forgotten about the ear infection. Hmmm...Morgan had diarrhea from too much antibiotics, but I don't think it got that bloody. But if the beneficial bacteria was wiped out, then maybe a less severe GI issue had the opportunity to become worse. You might want to get him probiotics.

This (http://www.firstchoicenaturals.com/Index/showroom.php/pid-50?gid=4) is said to be a very good choice for probiotic.

As for a fecal, sometimes things don't show up, so a negative fecal doesn't mean they don't have something.

PWCorgi
07-31-2008, 12:11 AM
Thanks Beanie. No, they didn't run a fecal. I actually had a stool sample with me just in case, but they didn't run one. My mom said she thought maybe they thought that I couldn't afford the tests because of my age or something? But they should have got the hint when I was asking for tests.

Thanks CP, I'll look into that.

I'm off to bed now, I have a feeling it's going to be a long night.

goldiefur
07-31-2008, 01:50 AM
I'm praying that Frodo gets better.

ihartgonzo
07-31-2008, 02:10 AM
Get well soon, Frodo! I hope you can figure this out, and it isn't anything major. =( Poor little boy.

PWCorgi
07-31-2008, 11:27 AM
Thanks Goldie and Erica. :)

Well, we were only up twice last night (4am and 5:30am), which I think is amazing for how much he was going during the day. This morning he had a nasty pudding-ish bowel movement, I'm guessing it was most of his dinner from last night. He's gone quite a few times since then and it's the same as it was yesterday, though there doesn't seem to be as much blood today. He ate all of his breakfast, which was swimming in Pedialyte and he sucked all that down. He had a bowl of Pedialyte in his crate last night, but I'm not sure if he drank any of it or not. He's sleeping now.

corgipower
07-31-2008, 11:30 AM
If he's not better tonight or tomorrow morning, you might want to call the vet.

~Jessie~
07-31-2008, 11:36 AM
Poor Frodo :(

I hope that he feels better soon.

SmexyPibble
07-31-2008, 11:39 AM
Awww :( I hope the poor guy feels better soon!

Beanie
07-31-2008, 01:04 PM
My mom said she thought maybe they thought that I couldn't afford the tests because of my age or something? But they should have got the hint when I was asking for tests.

Ugh... that's just... ugh. I can't believe they wouldn't have run a fecal, especially considering you HAD a sample with you. That really ticks me off. Just because you're young or look young, seriously, that's no excuse for anything.

Auggie got pudding poops from an overgrowth of a naturally occurring bacteria in his small intestine. It started right after I switched him from lamb & rice Cali Natural to chicken & rice (which, being that other folks on here rotate flavours with no problems, we switched flavours many times in the past and NEVER had a problem...) The best theory we have is that it just happened to upset his tummy this time and threw the levels of bacteria off. We got two weeks of twice daily antibiotics to do, and even after the first few days he was back to normally poopies (though initially he got a little stopped up, and I had to feed some canned pumpkin to get things moving again. =P)
Since you said it was after you started adding the canned food, it made me wonder if it was something similar...

Hopefully he just had an upset tummy and it gets better soon. But I agree with CP on if he's not feeling better by tomorrow. Sounds like he's at least on a bit of improve for the moment!

bcmoffatt
07-31-2008, 02:11 PM
Oh No!!! Poor Frodo!! :(

I'm so sorry!!!!

I hope he feels better soon!!!! *sending vibes* I'll be worrying all night! I don't have internerd at home yet... I hope when I log in next, he's at least on his way back to normal. :(

And a big HARUMP!! to that doucheburger vet.... :mad:

PWCorgi
07-31-2008, 05:36 PM
Alrighty then, since the last time I posted he's gone about five more times. They're all still quite watery, but the blood seems to be tapering off and the last ones seemed to have more of a thick pudding rather than plain liquid. He played biteyhand with me for a bit (I stopped cause I wanted him to rest) and then tried to get Izzy to play, so I think he's feeling better. I just gave him half his supper in a big bowl of Pedialyte.

Does anybody know if at this point I can give him too much Pedialyte?
He will drink as much as I give him with his food. If not I want to give him a bunch more with the rest of his supper later tonight...

----

I definitely will CP.

Thanks Jessie and Smexy!

Beanie, I really wonder if it wasn't the canned food too. I think that may be the cause of Izzy's hot spot as well...

Thanks BC :)

drmom777
07-31-2008, 06:06 PM
If dogs are like kids, you really can't give too much Pedialyte- unless you are forcing it down him. Let him have as much as he wants.

corgipower
07-31-2008, 06:22 PM
He ate all of his breakfast, which was swimming in Pedialyte

I wouldn't put the pedialyte on the food. I don't think you can really give too much, but if he gets more than he needs, he's going to excrete the excess. Usually done by the kidneys, but if there's more than the kidney's can handle the rest will go through the intestines and bowel.

PWCorgi
07-31-2008, 08:59 PM
Okay DrMom, thanks.

CP, why can't it be with the food? That's the only way he will take it...

corgipower
07-31-2008, 09:12 PM
Because by putting it on the food, he's probably going to drink more than he needs. I just talked to a friend of mine who confirmed that excess pedialyte can contribute to diarrhea in children.

Whenever my dogs have had diarrhea, they've done fine with just water.

corgipower
08-01-2008, 11:24 PM
How's Frodo feeling today?

PWCorgi
08-01-2008, 11:48 PM
Thanks for asking CP :)

We made it through all last night without him having to go. This morning he went and it was pretty much back to normal. Still a little gooey (yay for details, lol) and a little discolored (which may be due to the new food), but other then that pretty normal. He hasn't gone since then, so I'm thinking maybe the combination of the granules and the flagyl clogged him up, so he got some pumpkin with supper. I'm going to take him around the block and see if I can get him to go. Maybe he's just using most of the nutrients from it?

As far as behavior goes, he's back to himself. Full of p!ss and vinegar ;)

corgipower
08-02-2008, 12:08 AM
Glad to hear it. I hope he continues to recover. Yea, the color could be the food, and the gooey also could be in part because of the canned stuff if he used to get dry.