OH. MY. GOD. Kayotaaa!! [Archive] - Chazhound Dog Forum

PDA

View Full Version : OH. MY. GOD. Kayotaaa!!


SmexyPibble
07-30-2008, 11:59 AM
I can't belive this. Well there was a horrific thunderstorm last night, HUGE winds and raining really badly but I made it down the the pound right at 5:00P.M. Oh my oh my oh my..

Vet appointment was made for George [the 6 mo. chocolate Pit Bull x Lab] then went out to check on him.

He was dead! :yikes: I was totally shocked. No way in hell did I expect him to die in his kennel!

Aggh...

He only showed symptoms for ONE DAY! We had only got him in a few days earlier!

If it was parvo, he didn't have a shot against it as far as I know since we only had him for a short period of time. Ohhhh my I hope the other dogs don't get it..

We did adopt a dog yesterday, though, if you wanna see her just go to the photo section of the forum. She's a sweetie.

I'm STILL in shock about George!! It's really sad..but at least on his last day he was given unconditional love...

*sighs*

Lizmo
07-30-2008, 12:02 PM
Are you sure it was Parvo? Sounds too sudden for Parvo?

Either way, I'm so sorry. What a shock ((((((((HUGS)))))))

SmexyPibble
07-30-2008, 12:07 PM
I'm not positive, but it definetly wasn't something mild if he died from i..
I sure hope it wasn't..but he showed all of the signs of it..
bloody diahreea, vomiting profusely...

SmexyPibble
07-30-2008, 12:45 PM
Rest in peace boy..

BEFORE the sickness..
http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m453/haveaheart_rescue/bdb9990b.jpg
http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m453/haveaheart_rescue/051a35ee.jpg
http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m453/haveaheart_rescue/797fd51c.jpg
http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m453/haveaheart_rescue/d81d11f2.jpg

SmexyPibble
07-30-2008, 12:46 PM
After the sickness caught on..
http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m453/haveaheart_rescue/pound%20moose%20and%20G/bf1108a8.jpg
http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m453/haveaheart_rescue/pound%20moose%20and%20G/bc38649d.jpg

Sweet72947
07-30-2008, 01:49 PM
You can see the difference in those pics. Poor boy. :(

SmexyPibble
07-30-2008, 02:21 PM
He was not feeling well at all. :(

Kayota
07-30-2008, 02:45 PM
Oh my god, poor George! I am sooo sorry! -hugs you- Maybe you should have a necropsy done to be sure it wasn't parvo? :(

SmexyPibble
07-30-2008, 02:57 PM
Thank you :). I don't know if we could afford that. You know the issues we've been having with the shelter here already.. I guess all I can do, or all the employees are thinking of doing is hoping the other dogs are okay..

*sigh*. We've been having ENOUGH issues lately.
Garr..

SeniorPetLover
07-30-2008, 04:04 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. I would bleach (30:1 ratio) all of the runs and let it sit for at least 15 minutes before rinsing. I would also bleach all of the common areas. Make sure all volunteers wash their hands before handling different dogs and be sure to wash door knobs and other things that you touch very thoroughly. Wash food bowls, water dishes, etc. in hot water and the bleach solution. Do a search on infectious disease control for shelters. There should be good information on simple things you can do to prevent the spread of disease. At our shelter, we use infectious disease protocol all of the time because incubation periods can vary and even dogs/cats that appear to be healthy can carry disease. We always bleach kennels before putting a new dog in them. I always recommend that volunteers also change their clothing and wash before handling their own pets. I even wear different shoes while in the shelter and I do not wear them home.

I understand how hard it is for shelters. All I can suggest is that you network...network...network...flyers alone probably won't do it, but you can use the Internet to contact different breed rescues in and around your area. Contact them BEFORE you need to solicit their help and ask them if they have any suggestions on how you might be able to work together in the future. Don't think inside the box because many organizations have national outreach or contacts in other areas...it is not out of the question for a group in the midwest to help on the east coast, etc...don't assume, always ask...At our shelter, transport saves lives that would otherwise be lost because of low adoption rates locally. It takes time to build a contact list, but it is a priceless investment.

Advertise your available pets on Petfinder. Ask local newspapers to do a pet of the week ad for you...many do it for free. Many radio stations have to do a public service announcement, so solicit interviews with them and the local media. We also put up flyers in local veterinary clinics. Those folks are a great resource for soliciting potential adopters.

Fundraisers not only raise funds, they also raise awareness so get your group out into the public eye and ask for help. Hosting seminars to teach the public about animal health, training, grooming etc. usually go over very well. Many veterinarians, groomers, and trainers are happy to speak at these events for free.

There are also grants available for shelters...recruit a volunteer to help with grant writing...

Ask local businesses to contribute. For example, our local Wal-Mart donates all broken bags to the shelter. Sometimes veterinarians or pharmaceutical companies will donate meds or deeply discount them. The bottom line is that you cannot be afraid to ask.

I know that managing a shelter can be overwhelming...I served as President of the board for one. There is a common problem that many shelters fall into the trap of focusing all of their resources on the day to day care of the animals and neglecting the advertising, education and fundraising tasks. They barely have enough volunteers to keep the kennels clean and the animals fed...you have to be resourceful and constantly recruiting.

Sorry if I sound like I'm on a soapbox. I've learned a lot in my years of shelter work and I'm always happy to share ideas, sometimes too happy! Good luck & keep the faith!

xpaeanx
07-30-2008, 04:36 PM
OMG! i'm so sorry! that's horrible!

SmexyPibble
07-30-2008, 04:38 PM
Thank you everyone. And thank you SPL for all of the suggestions!

Miakoda
07-31-2008, 12:15 AM
Are you sure it was Parvo? Sounds too sudden for Parvo?

Either way, I'm so sorry. What a shock ((((((((HUGS)))))))

Actually, the Parvovirus incubates in the dog's body for several days, and can for 10-14 days, before one notices any external symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, etc. Usually the first day is just lethergy and the next is when the GI stuff starts. So if this dog was already showing symptoms, even if just for 1 day, then it had the virus for several days which is plenty of time for it to pass away. Although the Parvovirus affects the GI tract, it also can/will make itself home within the heart and that is what could have possibly happened to this dog as well.

ihartgonzo
07-31-2008, 03:03 AM
Actually, the Parvovirus incubates in the dog's body for several days, and can for 10-14 days, before one notices any external symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, etc. Usually the first day is just lethergy and the next is when the GI stuff starts. So if this dog was already showing symptoms, even if just for 1 day, then it had the virus for several days which is plenty of time for it to pass away. Although the Parvovirus affects the GI tract, it also can/will make itself home within the heart and that is what could have possibly happened to this dog as well.

I was thinking that, too. Especially with the huge stress of a thunderstorm... it could've been too much for his sick little body.

I'm sorry about George. =( RIP handsome boy.