Ask to go outside! [Archive] - Chazhound Dog Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Ask to go outside!

Irish
07-05-2005, 06:18 AM
How can I get Murray to ASK to go outside? We've had him for 2 weeks now, he was a rescue (3-year-old collie mix). He is housetrained, he knows he should potty outside but I've noticed he has never once asked to go out. We always initiate it, or our other dog Bear does. When we go out, Murray will go out and potty. But he has a few accidents, not just pee accidents either, and I know it was because we hadn't brought him outside in a while, or it was during the night. How do you get your dog to bark, or do something, so we know has to go??

Fran27
07-05-2005, 06:58 AM
The easiest way is to make him ring a bell with his nose when you take him out. Eventually he should do it when he wants to go. I haven't tried it though, I just expect the dogs to hold until I let them out (which of course doesn't always work, but it works most of the time).

mrose_s
07-05-2005, 08:42 AM
get him to do something (bark, ring a bell) every time you take him outside

mrose_s
07-05-2005, 08:43 AM
so that might take a little extra training :D i no ure up to it Irish

Irish
07-05-2005, 06:16 PM
Thanks Mrose and Fran, that'd be kinda cool to have him ring a bell! :D

gaddylovesdogs
07-05-2005, 06:40 PM
I have never used the bell idea, but I think for future dogs, I might use it, especially for ones that don't know how to sit and wait at the door or something like that.

Debi
07-06-2005, 03:41 PM
I can tell you that Addie has NEVER come to me to let me know, or ask to go out. She is now 4. She has never had an accident because I just know this about her, so I kind of keep a mental check on how long it's been for her.....like if she went at noon, then I know she probably has to go out by 6..etc. I think that poor girl would hold it til she just burst. Ham...oh geez...he'll come knock me out of my chair if I'm not paying attention. If I'm doing something, he'll come grab my entire hand. They were both trained the same way...just the different personalities. :) you never know, he may be like Addie...so just kind of keep track. thankfully, an adult dog doesn't have to go out all that often. when she was a puppy, I just took her out every 3 hours for months. the bell idea sounds cool. :)

DobermanPinscher
07-06-2005, 04:43 PM
My parents CKCS is 5 and she has always from being a puppy gone too the back door and scratched when she wanted to go outside too do her business, but we did have problems when we first had with training her to go outside but once she got the hang she just scratched when she needed to go.

Im sure you could traing your collie mix to do something either give a bark or scratch the door (make sure it's not wood, it marks :p ) i find training fun but im sure it will be quite difficult because if she doesnt say when she wants too go then your not really going to know how too start.

Have you thought about consulting a canine behaviourist in your area or asking your vet for some information and tips.

DP

BigDog2191
07-06-2005, 04:47 PM
I know how to work the bell idea and I never tried it but it sounds good.

Beware though: sometimes they'll ring the bell to go and bark at another dog or chase a squirrel or something.

Rocky squeals and whines and just goes nuts when he has to go out.

Irish
07-06-2005, 06:31 PM
I think we made a little progress today. I've been saying "outside" everytime I let Murray out so he'll get used to what the word means. Today, he was following me around the house like he always does, but he seemed a little more tense than usual. So I said "outside?" and I think he understood because he got excited and started whining. I immediately brought him out and told him "good boy". He did potty right away. I think he might be understanding! Thanks for all your input!

bubbatd
07-06-2005, 10:55 PM
Debi...I'm with out. I've never had a golden at a door asking to go out. Now if there's a " problem" during the night, they have nudged me , so I know. And yes, in 40 plus years there have been IBS problems.....but I forgive them.