Questions about a few breeds of dogs [Archive] - Chazhound Dog Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Questions about a few breeds of dogs

neapolitanpitbull
11-29-2006, 07:12 PM
I am thinking about my next dog. Can you help me find out what breed is right for me?

-I am active and have time to play and walk my dog
-I perfer a dog I dont have to groom much
-I need a breed that gets along with other dogs, because I have 2 Boxers
-I need a breed that gets along with cats
-I need a breed that does not hunt smaller animals (I have lots of those, hehe)
-I want a dog that is registered with AKC so I can show her.
-I want a breed that is not too small, because I have 2 strong Boxers
-I dont want a very barky dog
-I need a dog that does not have a history to attack farm animals (such as pit bulls, they attacked bulls back in the time, not meaning I dont love pit bulls though, because I do!) because I will be getting a cow in a few years, and maybe raise a lamb and pig

I was thinking about a Manchester Terrier but found out they bark alot and tend not to get along with dogs bigger than them.
What do you think about a Bullmastiff?
Or Doberman?
I was studying getting another Boxer but I want a female and read females dont tend to get along with other females (sadly).

Anyone want to help me out? :)

Renee750il
11-29-2006, 07:39 PM
Bull Mastiffs are not the most affable of dogs with other dogs normally. The Old English would be a better choice there. :)

neapolitanpitbull
11-29-2006, 07:41 PM
Okay, thank you!

Doberooney
11-29-2006, 07:55 PM
My dobe (very active, requires very little grooming) gets along great with other animals and doesn't chase after squirrels and such.. although she finds cats to be quite entertaining.

You could certainly show a Dobe... and with the training that goes along with showing, you could definitely teach a dobe not to be overly 'barky'.

The only thing.. my dobe doesn't seem to mesh well with boxers (nor do a few others that I have read about).

Toller_08
11-29-2006, 08:49 PM
Dobermans are known for not really liking Boxers...their personalities just don't "click". Boxers tend to be jumpy, excitable, very happy-go-lucky dogs...and Dobes are, well, Dobes are very dignified..lol. A friend of mine is a Doberman breeder and she also knows lots of people with Boxers. Although her Dobies love almost any dog and breed they encounter, they just don't seem to have the patience to put of with Boxers..even if they grew up with them as a couple have (not in the same house, but they see/saw eachother constantly). That being said, perhaps being raised as a puppy with a Boxer would be fine though. The Dobermans aren't generally aggressive with them, they just prefer not to put up with them for the most part. Dobermans can live with Boxers of course and there shouldn't be a problem, they jsut prefer living with breeds similar to themselves. However, seeing as Alaska is a male, you'd need to get a female. Dobermans are notorious for same sex aggression, especially the males.

Dobermans seem to be pretty quiet for the most part. I know of a lot of whiners (the boys esp.), but they usually quit when you tell them. They aren't an overly barky breed. They do shed quite a bit, but not overly. Obviously the Doberman is an AKC recognized breed. They do need to be kept busy and exercised. it is extremely, extremely important. They can be couch patatoes, but like I said, they need exercise. Dobermans can have a strong prey drive, as with lots of other brees. However, it isn't unmanageable. I brush my boy with a hound glove a few times weekly as I can't stand the shedding og smooth or short coated dogs, but besides that, they don't need any sort of grooming besides baths when required, nail trimmins, ear cleaning, etc.

All of that being said, I hope Doberkim, Sizzle, or someone else who knows their Dobes sees this thread as they are far more 'into' Dobermans than I am so I can't really offer much more info.

As far as other breeds you've mentioned, I know nothing about Bullmastiffs. Manchesters however are nice dogs. I really like them. I've met quite a few at dog shows and they were all very friendly, were relatively quite, and got a long wonderfully with dogs of any size and breed. I don't know if that's normal or not, but I've met lots and that's how all of them were.

shadowfacedanes
11-29-2006, 09:15 PM
Aw shoot, go for the gold and get a Dane. :)

neapolitanpitbull
11-29-2006, 10:22 PM
Thank you Devon and everyone else!
shadowfacedanes, tell me a bit about the breed and maybe I will "go for the gold" ;)

Bahamutt99
11-29-2006, 11:27 PM
My personal pick of those three would be a Doberman. I've never owned one, but I've been impressed with the trainability of those I've heard about and seen. The scary part is the requirement that the dog get along with other dogs, cats, and farm animals. That's not something that anybody can guarantee, and is at least partly dependant upon the dog's socialization. You will also get dogs who will instinctively realize when something belongs to their pack, but attack other animals outside of it.

Jessiep
11-30-2006, 12:05 AM
My cousin has a Mastiff and worked with a rescue place for over a year to try to find one that wouldn't attack her cats, so that might not be the best breed for you. =(

neapolitanpitbull
11-30-2006, 11:41 AM
Okay. Thank you...
Maybe a herding dog?? Which breed in the herding group do you think would be right for me??

skyeboxer
11-30-2006, 12:04 PM
What about Rhodesian Ridgeback ...

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/rhode.html

They do have a history of being used in lion hunts but I doubt that will be a problem in Washington. :)

Lizmo
11-30-2006, 12:11 PM
Heheh, get a Lab :p That is what I was thinking the whole time reading your thread lol

But I also agree, get a DANE! :D They are stunning dogs...they get along with most everything I think.

And they are a beauty to show(even though I have never showed one...they are very stunning to watch in a show)! :D

SarahFair
11-30-2006, 12:17 PM
I had a German Shepherd
Best dog I EVER owned..
He LOVED other dogs..cept ones that started it..
Very loyal
Protective
I dont really think he chased after cats but I also dont think cats came in our yard
We did find a baby squirell in his mouth onetime..he didnt kill it just was kinda tossing it around. But we did keep it as a pet till it grew up :)
Raised from a puppy I doubt they will pick on small animals.
IMO they are the best breed..
But if not I would go with a Great Dane..

neapolitanpitbull
11-30-2006, 12:25 PM
OK...
-Great Dane
-German Shepherd
-Rhodesian Ridgeback

I love Labs, Lizmo, I really do, and my uncles lab is even having pups in the summer time, but she is SOOO active and demanding to play 24/7, I just dont think I can handle that! I need a dog that I can play with, but not a dog that is DEMANDING to play. Elly, my uncles dog thats having the pups, is an AWESOME dog, but just too active for me.

Lizmo
11-30-2006, 01:14 PM
Oh okay ;) Well when you said that you wanted one and you would have time to play with it...I thought of labs :)

I personaly...from your list of dogs you want...I would get a Great Dane! :D

JFrick
11-30-2006, 01:18 PM
I love Labs, Lizmo, I really do, and my uncles lab is even having pups in the summer time, but she is SOOO active and demanding to play 24/7, I just dont think I can handle that! I need a dog that I can play with, but not a dog that is DEMANDING to play. Elly, my uncles dog thats having the pups, is an AWESOME dog, but just too active for me.

You don't want a herding dog then either. They are among the most hyper breeds, especially Border Collies and Australian Shepherds...They take a lot of time, actually, they demand a lot of time..

Laurelin
11-30-2006, 01:20 PM
You don't want a hearding dog then either. They are among the most hyper breeds, especially Border Collies and Australian Shepherds...They take a lot of time..

I wouldn't call them hyper, just very intelligent, energetic, active, and driven. ;) Definitely need stimulation all the time.

JFrick
11-30-2006, 01:24 PM
I wouldn't call them hyper, just very intelligent, energetic, active, and driven. ;) Definitely need stimulation all the time.

Yeah, that's true.....but they do get really hyper when they don't get enough exercise, at least that's how Khaki (Aussie) is. They do need constant stimulation, or they will entertain themselves. I went home yesterday from work to find Khaki had chewed up part of the cushion on my couch.

hollybea
11-30-2006, 01:55 PM
we had a manchester terrier for 23 years along wit other dogs, she was not a barker and was good with all the other dogs.

RD
11-30-2006, 01:57 PM
Khaki is a pup, JFrick :) Most herding breed puppies would fall under the category of "hyper", but as they mature they are pretty easy to live with. Not that they ever stop needing exercise and mental stimulation, but the need for constant stimulation will usually go away after a while. Maybe I've just gotten too used to mine . . .

I'd be careful with a GSD and a Boxer. Herding breeds tend not to like Boxers either . . . Something about the difference in style, I guess. Herding dogs tend to move lower to the ground and "flow" with each step. Boxers are very erratic and jerky with their movements, as well as very upright and in-your-face, and it can irritate some dogs. My Border Collie has only met one Boxer that he will tolerate, and that dog is about 8 years old and quite calm.

skyeboxer
11-30-2006, 02:01 PM
23 years! I believe the longest lived dog recorded was an Aussie cattle dog at 29 years. How very special to have your girl with you for so long. Are the Manchesters known to be exceptionally long lived?

skyeboxer
11-30-2006, 02:05 PM
Poor Boxers. They're getting a bit of a bashing here :)

Like hyper, always clowning, people I guess, they can be fun but a PITA after a while. Actually the one dog that Skye cannot bear is a black GSD. Ever since he started coming up (off leash) and annoying her at the gate she's also been warier of black dogs in general.

I always put it down to the colour not the breed though. That's interesting about the GSD/Dobie/Boxer thing.

Laurelin
11-30-2006, 02:07 PM
Khaki is a pup, JFrick :) Most herding breed puppies would fall under the category of "hyper", but as they mature they are pretty easy to live with. Not that they ever stop needing exercise and mental stimulation, but the need for constant stimulation will usually go away after a while. Maybe I've just gotten too used to mine . . .

I agree with that, my shelties are positively lazy now in their old age. Either that or they're just not nearly as hyper as two young papillons. :D However, I still wouldn't consider them as laid back as many other breeds and they still need mental stimulation... Or perhaps I've gotten used to them too. I haven't lived with a non-herding dog other than the papillons since i was really young, and that dog was a lab so...

RD
11-30-2006, 02:11 PM
Laurelin, are your Paps busybodies too? Ripley needs to be doing something CONSTANTLY. He's like the friggin energizer bunny; 5 minutes of sleep and he's ready for 5 hours of constant motion again. If he isn't kept busy, he gets in my face and starts nagging me. :rolleyes: My super high-drive Border Collie is lazy compared to Ripley.

Oh I'm not bashing them, I love Boxers. :) There's just quite a difference between them and herding breeds, and in my experience they tend not to mesh well. The Boxers mean well but the herders are control freaks and quick, sudden movements irritate them. And then of course the herders being pushy irritates the Boxers and . . . Yeah. Doesn't tend to work out. I've dog-sat for 3 different Boxers and all were lovely dogs but my normally social dog couldn't stand them and retreated to his crate or under the futon when he saw them coming. :D

JFrick
11-30-2006, 02:42 PM
Yeah, Khaki is still a pup, 11 months old today to be exact.......
She's my first herding dog, so I hope she calms down a bit as she grows...Can't see her calming down yet though, haha.....

Laurelin
11-30-2006, 03:05 PM
Laurelin, are your Paps busybodies too? Ripley needs to be doing something CONSTANTLY. He's like the friggin energizer bunny; 5 minutes of sleep and he's ready for 5 hours of constant motion again. If he isn't kept busy, he gets in my face and starts nagging me. :rolleyes: My super high-drive Border Collie is lazy compared to Ripley.

Uh huh, and all the ones I've met are the same way, even the really really old ones. Supposedly paps never slow down.

gaddylovesdogs
11-30-2006, 03:27 PM
You don't want a herding dog then either. They are among the most hyper breeds, especially Border Collies and Australian Shepherds...They take a lot of time, actually, they demand a lot of time..
I agree - skip the herding breeds. They need lots of mental stimulation and can end up with serious behaviorial problems if they don't get enough of it. They also require a lot of exercise.

Poor Boxers. They're getting a bit of a bashing here

Like hyper, always clowning, people I guess, they can be fun but a PITA after a while. Actually the one dog that Skye cannot bear is a black GSD. Ever since he started coming up (off leash) and annoying her at the gate she's also been warier of black dogs in general.

I always put it down to the colour not the breed though. That's interesting about the GSD/Dobie/Boxer thing.I don't think anyone here is bashing Boxers, just saying that they probably aren't the breed for the OP. I love the goofy playfulness of Boxers...for a while, and then I become exhausted.

skyeboxer
11-30-2006, 04:15 PM
LOL,

I know they are not realy bashing Boxers, Gaddy. The original OP has two. I'd like to add a dog to my pack too and love GSD's so this thread has given me something to think about.

muggsies16
11-30-2006, 04:38 PM
I love the Doberman, they are so impressive. I do not know anything about the Mastiff's. but I as an older person for some reason fear them! But again that is my issue!

I can not control either breed, due to my age, but if I were young and spry, I would love a Dob. I really think its on how you raise the dog, but again, that is age speaking. Good luck on what ever choice you pick!:)

Toller_08
11-30-2006, 06:43 PM
If you don't want a dog with a high prey drive, do not get a Ridgeback. These are both scent and sighthounds and have a very strong prey drive. I know two personally, and have met many others throughout the years seeing as my family was considering getting one before we were offered Winston..

neapolitanpitbull
11-30-2006, 07:31 PM

I'd be careful with a GSD and a Boxer. Herding breeds tend not to like Boxers either . . . Something about the difference in style, I guess. Herding dogs tend to move lower to the ground and "flow" with each step. Boxers are very erratic and jerky with their movements, as well as very upright and in-your-face, and it can irritate some dogs. My Border Collie has only met one Boxer that he will tolerate, and that dog is about 8 years old and quite calm.
I dont think the breed matters when it comes to dogs not liking others, I say it depends on the breed :), but then again, thats just me. I knew a GSD, Max, who got along great with my girl Georgia. In fact, its the pit bull/lab she gets sick of jumping all over her ;)

I love GSDs, how active exactly are they??

shadowfacedanes
11-30-2006, 09:50 PM
-I am active and have time to play and walk my dog

Great Danes LOVE human interaction and are great for leisurely walks and play sessions.

-I perfer a dog I dont have to groom much

About an hour a month is all I spend keeping Hannah in great shape.

-I need a breed that gets along with other dogs, because I have 2 Boxers
-I need a breed that gets along with cats
-I need a breed that does not hunt smaller animals (I have lots of those, hehe)

See: http://www.leansnslobbers.net/what.html

-I want a dog that is registered with AKC so I can show her.

Danes are extremely popular in the show ring, and there are many show breeders in the US as well as abroad.

-I want a breed that is not too small, because I have 2 strong Boxers

*snicker* I think you know the answer to this one. ;)

-I dont want a very barky dog
If properly exercised, danes are not given to needless barking. They are watchdogs, and will alert to strangers.

-I need a dog that does not have a history to attack farm animals (such as pit bulls, they attacked bulls back in the time, not meaning I dont love pit bulls though, because I do!) because I will be getting a cow in a few years, and maybe raise a lamb and pig

Most danes are completely trustworthy with animals of all shapes and sizes. My danes used to romp with the neighbor's cows and horses and never caused any harm. In fact, the rancher thought it was quite amusing to see my two harlequin danes hanging out with the holestein cows.:) On a rare occasion, you may find danes who were not properly socialized become a nusciance (sp) to livestock, but it's definitely not a regular thing to be concerned about, especially with a responsible owner who will train and socialize the dog properly.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. :)

neapolitanpitbull
11-30-2006, 09:55 PM
Thanks shadowfacedanes! How big exactly to they get? How big of a house do they need?
It would be kind of wierd to see someone the size of me showing a dog the size of a Dane..lol
(See picture of me here http://forum.dog.com/asp/photo_view.asp?file=1;205052)
How hard is it to show them, do you know????
How much $$$ are they??

Thanks!!!

shadowfacedanes
11-30-2006, 10:39 PM
Thanks shadowfacedanes! How big exactly to they get? How big of a house do they need?
It would be kind of wierd to see someone the size of me showing a dog the size of a Dane..lol
(See picture of me here http://forum.dog.com/asp/photo_view.asp?file=1;205052)
How hard is it to show them, do you know????
How much $$$ are they??

Thanks!!!

If you've got a couch, the size of your house doesn't matter, because that's where they spend most of their time! ;)

For some reason, little ladies and danes go hand in hand. I'm a little "fluffier" than I used to be, but I'm still very short and look funny with a big dog. Imagine when I was 105 pounds and walked into Petsmart with my 185 pound male and 130 pound female. I got lots of odd looks.

For size - it varies on the genetics, but males are typically 32-39-ish inches and anywhere from 120-200 pounds. Females anywhere from 30-36 inches and 100-160 pounds. But it varies greatly from line to line.

As far as showing, the harlequins are the stiffest competition, so I'd avoid getting a harle unless you just REALLY like a challenge. A show marked harle is also much more expensive and will require being on a waiting list for quite some time.

For someone new in the ring with danes, I'd recommend a fawn. If you are cropping the ears, that gives you a little more chance for success, but many many judges are now putting up natural earred danes also. I can send you a list of judges who have put up natural earred danes if you ever need it.

A well bred show quality dane is generally in the $1,200- $2,000 dollar range. Pricey? Yes..but well worth the money for the quality of the dog. You are paying for the health tests and extensive care that has been put into these dogs as well as the time and labor that the reputable breeder has invested into assuring the dogs are healthy and of good quality.

If you decide on a color you're interested in, and let me know where you are located, I can try to point you in the direction of a reputable breeder.

In the meanwhile, if you would like to learn more about danes, feel free to click on the link in my siggie. And feel free to ask more questions.

Shall I show you some dane pics to entice you more? :)

neapolitanpitbull
11-30-2006, 10:54 PM
If you've got a couch, the size of your house doesn't matter, because that's where they spend most of their time! ;)

For some reason, little ladies and danes go hand in hand. I'm a little "fluffier" than I used to be, but I'm still very short and look funny with a big dog. Imagine when I was 105 pounds and walked into Petsmart with my 185 pound male and 130 pound female. I got lots of odd looks.

For size - it varies on the genetics, but males are typically 32-39-ish inches and anywhere from 120-200 pounds. Females anywhere from 30-36 inches and 100-160 pounds. But it varies greatly from line to line.

As far as showing, the harlequins are the stiffest competition, so I'd avoid getting a harle unless you just REALLY like a challenge. A show marked harle is also much more expensive and will require being on a waiting list for quite some time.

For someone new in the ring with danes, I'd recommend a fawn. If you are cropping the ears, that gives you a little more chance for success, but many many judges are now putting up natural earred danes also. I can send you a list of judges who have put up natural earred danes if you ever need it.

A well bred show quality dane is generally in the $1,200- $2,000 dollar range. Pricey? Yes..but well worth the money for the quality of the dog. You are paying for the health tests and extensive care that has been put into these dogs as well as the time and labor that the reputable breeder has invested into assuring the dogs are healthy and of good quality.

If you decide on a color you're interested in, and let me know where you are located, I can try to point you in the direction of a reputable breeder.

In the meanwhile, if you would like to learn more about danes, feel free to click on the link in my siggie. And feel free to ask more questions.

Shall I show you some dane pics to entice you more? :)
I would love pictures! I really love the color harlequin, but I am wondering why harles are more expensive than fawns just because of their color...?
That is really pricy! Can you help me find a quality, but not too expensive breeder?? I am looking for a female mantle or fawn for now. :) Thanks so much!!!

shadowfacedanes
11-30-2006, 11:10 PM
A well bred, show marked harle is more expensive because breeding harles is a crap shoot - even with careful planning and the perfectly selected bitch and stud, a breeder may only get one show marked harle out of the entire litter.

Where are you located? I will try to help you find a good breeder in your area.
Are you willing to travel?

Mantles seem to be very hot in the ring right now as well, so the colors you are looking for are perfect for your situation.

Here is my girl-

Humiliation, anyone?
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g67/shadowfacedanes/More%20Hannah/ChristmasHannah.jpg

Practicing our freestack:
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g67/shadowfacedanes/More%20Hannah/selfstackresized-1.jpg

Professional portrait:
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g67/shadowfacedanes/More%20Hannah/hannahstudio1.jpg

Just chillin':
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g67/shadowfacedanes/More%20Hannah/hannahphotocontest.jpg

J's crew
11-30-2006, 11:17 PM
WOW! That is a beautiful dog! :D

skyeboxer
12-01-2006, 06:46 AM
LOL.

That has got to be the only dog on the planet that can look dignified with a pair of stuffed antlers on his head!

neapolitanpitbull
12-01-2006, 06:46 PM
Oh shadowfacedanes, you're pups are beautiful! I am definetly looking for a fawn!! I am located in Washington, and we're willing to travel to places in Washington, but not out of state ;) If shipping is avaliable for the dogs then that is great! Thanks so much!

Dulce Pit Bull
12-01-2006, 07:24 PM
I know of severeal Dane Rescues. That way you wouldn't pay so much, AND you be rescuing :D

Danes are all around GREAT dogs. I would suggest that :)

Dulce Pit Bull
12-01-2006, 07:25 PM
http://www.daneoutreach.org/main.html

Dulce Pit Bull
12-01-2006, 07:26 PM
http://www.danegang.org/

http://www.petloveshack.com/DaneG.html

otch1
12-01-2006, 07:36 PM
Neapolitan... hi there! You live in Washington and you don't want a Lab!? Ha! I train and handle all-breed, have owned Boxers, Dobies, a GSD and an Aussie. I reccommend you do your homework on multiple breeds. What is your experience in showing dogs? (Sorry, if you've answered this. I did not go thru all of the posts.) Because of the health issues with many breeds, you'll want to purchase the best quality pup you can afford. If showing really isn't a priority, just for fun, you'll find many wonderful dogs in need of a home thru several reputable rescues in our area. I helped place a Boxer and a Rott, both under 3 yrs of age and lovely dogs, this month. If you really have your heart set on a Dane or Dobie, here are some breeders/ fellow exhibitors, I think would be a good place for you to start. They are local, have good reputations and quality dogs. Start with Gingers Pet Rescue, they have this weeks list of dogs available in our area. For Danes-Google Daynakin - Georgia Hymmen. For Boxers google Encore or Pentastar boxers, for Dobies google Starlaine, Wingate or Winsome Dobermans. Keep in mind and don't be offended that most of these breeders will insist on selling you one on a spay-neuter contract, if you are not an experienced exhibitor. They have outstanding pet stock though!! Good luck.

neapolitanpitbull
12-01-2006, 08:34 PM
Thanks Dulce Pit Bull!

Neapolitan... hi there! You live in Washington and you don't want a Lab!? Ha! I train and handle all-breed, have owned Boxers, Dobies, a GSD and an Aussie. I reccommend you do your homework on multiple breeds. What is your experience in showing dogs? (Sorry, if you've answered this. I did not go thru all of the posts.) Because of the health issues with many breeds, you'll want to purchase the best quality pup you can afford. If showing really isn't a priority, just for fun, you'll find many wonderful dogs in need of a home thru several reputable rescues in our area. I helped place a Boxer and a Rott, both under 3 yrs of age and lovely dogs, this month. If you really have your heart set on a Dane or Dobie, here are some breeders/ fellow exhibitors, I think would be a good place for you to start. They are local, have good reputations and quality dogs. Start with Gingers Pet Rescue, they have this weeks list of dogs available in our area. For Danes-Google Daynakin - Georgia Hymmen. For Boxers google Encore or Pentastar boxers, for Dobies google Starlaine, Wingate or Winsome Dobermans. Keep in mind and don't be offended that most of these breeders will insist on selling you one on a spay-neuter contract, if you are not an experienced exhibitor. They have outstanding pet stock though!! Good luck.
I want a lab, its my parents who dont ;)
I have a little experience... I showed a Rottwieler and Boxer. Lola, the Rott, got a 1st in a match, Diesel, the Boxer got a 2nd in the working group, 1st in breed group, and 4th in Juniors at a match.

bubbatd
12-01-2006, 08:50 PM
Why don't they want a Lab ??

neapolitanpitbull
12-01-2006, 09:03 PM
Why don't they want a Lab ??
Because Elly, the mom, is EXTREMELY active and is not a good standard lab, and if shes not a good standard dog then I cant show so I would rather rescue. Also, she is so slim people that see her think they starve her. They just dont want such an active dog.
The dad is a VERY good standard and has just the right activeness, but you can never tell what kind of standard they have when they are eight weeks old.
I personally LOVE labs and have wanted one all my life, esspecialy a lab pup with the standard and love of King Duke, the lab, and the swimming capacity of the mum, Elly.

shadowfacedanes
12-01-2006, 09:41 PM
http://www.daneoutreach.org/main.html

If the OP is interested in rescuing, that is a great link and a rescue I'd certainly recommend.

Georgia, who is the founder of Dane Outreach is also a breeder of one of the greatest lines of fawns in the US - Daynakin Danes.

I would certainly contact her. If she is not planning a litter anytime soon, she could probably still assist you in many ways.

Here is a link to her website. http://hometown.aol.com/daynakindanes/homepage.html
or you can contact her by email: [email protected]

ToscasMom
12-01-2006, 11:13 PM
Herding you say? Well let me introduce you to my Collie Tosca. How about a smooth version of her? Is Colliewog around?

colliewog
12-01-2006, 11:40 PM
I hear Smooth Collie and my ears perk up ...

My references are to well-bred (mentally and physically sound) Collies

-I am active and have time to play and walk my dog YES
-I perfer a dog I dont have to groom much YES
-I need a breed that gets along with other dogs, because I have 2 Boxers YES (Collies get along great with Boxers - similar play styles)
-I need a breed that gets along with cats YES
-I need a breed that does not hunt smaller animals (I have lots of those, hehe) - YES they will only hunt "varmints" if told to. I raised rats, guinea pigs and rabbits, plus orphan squirrels, who were perfectly safe, but the grove rats who tormented my rabbits and pigs were fair game.
-I want a dog that is registered with AKC so I can show her. YES. And at the present time, the numbers aren't too high regarding competition needed for points (not like a Dobe, Golden or GSD)
-I want a breed that is not too small, because I have 2 strong Boxers - Medium to Large breed dog (bitches 50-65, dogs 60-75)
-I dont want a very barky dog - YES and NO. "Barky" but in a different way. If properly trained, socialized and exercised, they alert bark and "talk", but not non-stop "make your ears bleed" barking. :rolleyes:
-I need a dog that does not have a history to attack farm animals - They're herding dogs - and a naturally nurturing breed. Mine have helped raise baby goats, horses, kittens, various rodents, even iguanas (yep).

The key is that you want a dog that is part of your family. Indoors when you're indoors, outdoors when you're outdoors. They want to know where you are at all times - and prefer to keep the family together, or else must go from place to place to check on everyone.

You get a Collie because you WANT a Collie, not because it was one of a few breeds you liked and it became available first. They are very different (although I think most people will say that, but anyway) and require a certain mind-set. My family's bloodline is one of the foundation bloodlines for a guide dog school's breeding program, and we have also produced many service/alert dogs, and working farm dogs (not competing, just doing the work running the farm), so obviously not all of the Collies in the world are brainless and hyper, as many think the breed has become. All of my adults have various performance titles, and the pups are currently in training and doing quite well.

They are an awesome breed, but the first thing you have to accept is that the dog is smarter than you are and once you're comfortable with that, things go along smoothly (no pun intended). :p

With that said, many of the other breeds listed are wonderful choices - I just popped in to give a Collie dissertation.:cool:

neapolitanpitbull
12-02-2006, 02:37 PM
My two final breeds are Collies and Great Danes. I believe a collie will be what I get because Great Danes are SO big, but you never know ;) We may even end up getting a Lab from the litter if they have a good pup!