Ever thought about deworming yourself? [Archive] - Chazhound Dog Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Ever thought about deworming yourself?

MafiaPrincess
08-31-2010, 11:11 PM
Two years ago I worked in a boarding kennel of an active musher. He had a litter of puppies. They warned me weeks after I'd whelped a litter that one needed to wash their hands and not touch faces as pups have worms.. Likely rubbed my face at some point without washing my hands first.. So I was mildly creeped out...

We were deworming our large combined pack and Dekka looked up the symptoms of human worm infestation.. She then decided to deworm herself as some of the symptoms made her wonder. A week has passed and she is less hungry and feels better... She is full faster and is no longer always low grade hungry.

So I've been thinking about it ever since.. and finally bit the bullet tonight.

So I've been wondering for dog people that play kissy face with their dogs and share a bed and aren't the people who wipe every drop of slobber off their hands what are the chances that you might have worms.. have you thought about it? Ever dewormed yourself? I'm 27 and hadn't till now.. But only owned dogs for 5 years...

The kennel I worked at had dewormer in the human fridge. They told me they dewormed their kids regularly (now adults) to make sure they weren't carrying a worm load as they had puppies fairly often.

MericoX
08-31-2010, 11:15 PM
*is now very tempted to go out and get some dewormer for herself*

mjb
08-31-2010, 11:23 PM
Not because of the dogs or cats, but it might be a good idea.

When one of the kids had pinworms, the whole family was told to take the pill.

Upendi&Mina
08-31-2010, 11:40 PM
This might be a really stupid question, but what would you use to deworm yourself?

Bigpoodleperson
08-31-2010, 11:42 PM
YES, I Have thought about deworming myself!!! Its funny you brought this up! Mostly because I was watching "Monsters Inside Me" on animal planet. :yikes: Gross!! I have heard of most of those parasites in school. I am a vet tech. I work with infested animals and deal with infested poop all the time. I dont wear gloves to set up/read stool samples, or to clean cages (really feces infested cages i will as that is gross feeling to clean). I wash my hands well about a million times a day, and right after handling feces. Can I ask what you guys used?

MafiaPrincess
08-31-2010, 11:47 PM
Pyrantel pamoate should clear up most worm possibilities in humans.. also is used in hoses, dogs and other animals but has more limited uses on its own in dogs.. needs to be paired with other drugs..

If you can get a bottle of strongid-t you could dose yourself.. I'm sure if you could convince your doctor to hand over the pill forms it would be less nasty.. but you might have to show you have a worm load unlike in dogs for them to care..

Honestly we went with horse dewormer as we could calculate the dosage for humans. They lied. Apple flavour my @ss ;) Think I can email them to tell them they lie ;)

vanillasugar
08-31-2010, 11:49 PM
I've been seriously considering it recently actually, and for a lot of the same reasons as you!

naturesgift
08-31-2010, 11:49 PM
I have wormed myself. (so weird to say) I never thought of worrying about my dogs..since I keep them utd worming and get fecals done...but I milk at a Dairy and I did get E. coli by feeding sick calves (even washed my hands) and after that I wondered...since in order to worm a cow they have to withhold the milk..so its not something they do unless they have to.. and I slip and fall in cow poop.. I get it sprayed at me when they cough and poop at the same time.. I even got a mouthful once. :yikes: SO I just figured its something I have to do if im going to be milking cows..taking in Foster dogs and cats..and working with wildlife. :cool:

Saeleofu
08-31-2010, 11:59 PM
They actually sell liquid pyrantel pamoate at drug stores to use for pinworms You could take that...it supposedly tastes like butterscotch (we use it at work for some types of worms).

I've seriously considered it on multiple occasions...and I'm actually probably pretty likely to do it now lol

I also find it kind of strange that human doctors don't regularly check fecal samples on us...

MafiaPrincess
09-01-2010, 12:03 AM
Saeleofu.. I've thought that before... Unless you are showing pretty hard to ignore worm signs it is never brought up ever.. Reading a few sights they try to make it seem like worms is rare in people but I don't think so.

I am feeling nauseated.. which is a sign of decent worm death. I am so creeped out I don't know what to say.

Good to know there is a less nasty choice out there. Butterscotch would have been 100x better. Wonder if you can get it here without an Rx.. Though hopefully I don't need another deworming anytime soon...

Saeleofu
09-01-2010, 12:08 AM
50% of the world's population harbor either the hookworm, large roundworm or the whipworm.

Ewwwwwww

Worms in Humans (http://www.buzzle.com/articles/worms-in-humans.html)

Hookworm: Hookworms fall under a class of roundworms. The larvae of the hookworm can gain the entry into the human body through the openings of the sweat glands or hair follicles in the skin. This may happen with you, if the soil you are walking, laying or sleeping on is contaminated by the hookworm larvae.

Okay that's it...I'm deworming myself. I walk barefoot all the time, occasionally even when I have weekend kennels at work...

Laurelin
09-01-2010, 12:14 AM
Oh god this thread is grossss!

Where do I buy human dewormers?

MafiaPrincess
09-01-2010, 12:20 AM
Not sure which is worse.. Having dewormed myself and am pretty sure I had worms.. Or the people that now have to wait till tomorrow to get stuff to deworm themselves as they are now sketched hahaha

I suggest waiting till evening to do it. I feel really gross and have made multiple potty trips..

I knew you could get hookworm from being barefoot.. I just didn't think of the commonness that it could happen..

Saeleofu
09-01-2010, 12:20 AM
Walmart, Walgreens, etc should have pyrantel. I found some on sale at Dillon's before but didn't buy it. It's apparently a pretty common thing to deworm kids when they have pinworms.

MafiaPrincess
09-01-2010, 12:22 AM
Maybe I shall go stock some. I deworm dogs every so often.. maybe I should deworm me every so often as this is gross..

Southpaw
09-01-2010, 12:24 AM
I've actually figured it's pretty likely that I have worms, but I didn't think there was anything I could do about it without seeing a doctor. And since I'm not dying or anything lol, I've never been too concerned.

I'm around worm infested dogs A LOT. Aside from my own dogs, most of the dogs I'm around are rescue dogs with unknown backgrounds. Just this weekend at work I was loving on a rescue dog that's boarding there (he's a catahoula pup, completely irresistible), and today they ran a fecal on him.... ta da! He has hookworms!

Lucy had hookworms as a pup and I was soooo paranoid that I was going to get them... now I'm wondering if I actually did.... lol. Deworming myself doesn't sound like such a bad option!! But seriously I can't believe it's something that's never talked about with humans.

Laurelin
09-01-2010, 12:36 AM
Yeah I worked in a municipal shelter two years.

I'm going to Walgreens tomorrow! Ew! I just look for pyrantel?

Southpaw
09-01-2010, 12:41 AM
Yeah I worked in a municipal shelter two years.

I'm going to Walgreens tomorrow! Ew! I just look for pyrantel?

I found these two brands on the Walgreens website:
Reese's*Pinworm Medicine | Walgreens (http://www.walgreens.com/store/catalog/Stomach-Remedies/Pinworm-Medicine/ID=prod352717-product)

Parasitol*Parasiticide Suspension | Walgreens (http://www.walgreens.com/store/catalog/Stomach-Remedies/Parasiticide-Suspension/ID=prod2872366-product)

One is banana flavored and one is cherry flavored lol. I'm so tempted to buy some but... I'm kind of scared? I'd rather just carry on in ignorance and ignore the fact that I might have worms. :rofl1:

Laurelin
09-01-2010, 12:42 AM
Maybe I'll buy online so I don't have to go through check out. :lol-sign:

Kat09Tails
09-01-2010, 12:53 AM
Maybe I'll buy online so I don't have to go through check out. :lol-sign:

Oh come on ... it's not as bad as buying NIX

GlassOnion
09-01-2010, 01:34 AM
Yah. Have done it before on accident (strongid tastes kind of banana-ey). Would also be curious to do a fecal on myself (though I think I'll skip the loop), just out of curiosity.

Related: there's a parasitologist researcher at our school that, every now and then, will be looking at a fecal smear when the agenda is clear (AKA everything else is looked at). If asked something like 'oh what sample is that? We didn't get anything in' he'll simply reply 'primate' and leave it at that.

CharlieDog
09-01-2010, 01:45 AM
Oh GOD. You people are horrible. I have to wait until THURSDAY before I can get to the store!

Oh lord. I hope CVS has it. :( UGH. Does the human stuff get rid of hook, whip and tape worms too?

puppydog
09-01-2010, 01:46 AM
You guys mean it is not routine to do it in the States? I deworm all of us, dogs and humans, every 3 months.

RedHotDobe
09-01-2010, 01:47 AM
I'm not very easy to gross out, but this thread has achieved that. Ew.

Saeleofu
09-01-2010, 01:54 AM
Oh come on ... it's not as bad as buying NIX

This is why they invented self-checkout :rofl1:

Southpaw
09-01-2010, 01:58 AM
I'm not very easy to gross out, but this thread has achieved that. Ew.

Seriously! I started feeling pretty nasty after reading this thread. Blech.

I feel like I need to deworm myself now but I don't really want to deal with any side effects from the drug.

Grab
09-01-2010, 02:12 AM
I'm a fairly obsessive hand washer and no licking of my face (or hands) is allowed, so I'm not too worried. Still grossed out though.

I'd skip the worming even if I wasn't incubating the fetus, but I'll be waiting to hear everyone else's results:p

elegy
09-01-2010, 06:50 AM
nope. as i've never had anything i'd consider symptoms, i don't worry about it. even if i do have some sort of worms, i'm not worried about it. gives my immune system something to do.

did you know that worms are a treatment in some really resistant cases of crohn's disease and IBD? and that people in countries where it's common to have parasitic infections don't get those diseases? it's purely a development of being parasite free.

can't win, no matter what you do ;)

mrose_s
09-01-2010, 07:09 AM
lol, I always find it funny when I meet people that havn't dewormed themselves. I thought everyone did, my sister and I grew up in dogs faces/beds and ended up being regularily wormed.
I havn't in years though.

ACooper
09-01-2010, 07:41 AM
:yikes: No, I have never been dewormed, but I'm always barefoot, and Orson had worms a few years ago so of course I was the one cleaning up after him!

*Puts wormer on the list of things to buy*

vanillasugar
09-01-2010, 07:59 AM
My tummy is rumbling as I read this thread. Gross. I was sure I wanted to before, now I'm going to the pharmacy after work!

smkie
09-01-2010, 08:03 AM
Since I took so much of ivermectin that tracers were visible behind everything that moved I would assume I am ok. I would think if you had tapes they would be visible in your stool. A lady down the street from my Mom had a 3 ft tape worm in her intestine.

I will say that after fighting this disease of Babasia there is not near enough attention payed to people on the parasite level.I have cat scratch fever and have had it for over a decade which means it is very hard to get rid of. Because i am having a hard time getting rid of that, I am having a hard time getting rid of the lyme. Yet most of the regular doctors i have seen have had no idea what it was. I bet the same is true for parasites.

I remember when I was in jr college that my bio teacher talked about how hook worm (i believe..it's been a long time) lays in the dew on the top of grass blades and people who were barefoot (often slaves) were infected making them anemic and there for sluggish which was then assumed they were "lazy". I haven't stepped into dew laden grass since.

MafiaPrincess
09-01-2010, 08:46 AM
Pretty sure you need a decently bad tape infection until you have visible segments in stool. Both my guys have had reoccurring tape issues. Wormer will kill what they have, they poop out dead worms and end up reinfected. They both needed a really heavy tape worm load before it was visible in their stool.

Good to know deworming is common everywhere but north america apparently..

I'm pretty sure I killed worms last night. I was nauseated for hours.

MericoX
09-01-2010, 09:42 AM
I'm looking for stuff at work today, or ordering it for tomorrow.

Thanks to this thread, I'm now afraid to poop. That is all. LOL

Jules
09-01-2010, 09:50 AM
EEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

Why did i have to read this thread?! I resisted all four pages! Yuck!

Dekka
09-01-2010, 10:13 AM
Well I have to say I am very glad I did.

I didn't expect a dramatic change, but I have.

The day after I dewormed myself I made chicken, dressing the works. I put what I would normally put on my plate (and still often go back for seconds) I couldn't finish it!

I used to be constantly hungry. Not OMG I am starving, but hungry enough to make resisting snacking almost impossible. I also don't crave sweet things as often, found out afterwards that that can also be attributed to a decent worm load.

Elegy: I am not worried about a few worms. But you do know of the damage they do to intestines and blood vessels right? A heavy worm load is more than just a little something for your immune system to look after.

AGonzalez
09-01-2010, 10:14 AM
I've never done it intentionally but I have tasted Zimectrin before - it's pretty **** nasty, and I'm sure I know why my horse puts his nose as far away from me as possible when I come out with the white tube of death.

skKi
09-01-2010, 11:49 AM
A lady down the street from my Mom had a 3 ft tape worm in her intestine.

I don't like this thread!

I had no idea how squeamish I am of parasites until reading all this. The problem now is that I don't want worms, but I don't want to buy a wormer because I'd rather not know if I had them to begin with. The perils!

Doberluv
09-01-2010, 02:58 PM
I never thought a thing about it until I watched, for the first time, Monsters within me...like Bigpoodleperson. That was the most disgusting show...horrifying! Much worse than this thread, let me tell ya. OMG! Some of those parasites are REEEEEEEEELLY dangerous! And they show all these gruesome videos of the worms squiggling around and through body organs. I mean....sick! I almost lost my lunch. It was spaghetti.

There's one that can be in the soil so they say don't go barefoot and always use garden gloves. I never use gloves because then my fingers aren't nimble enough to pick little weeds and do other things. And barefoot? Yeah, there's some kind of chemical we put out that is on our hands and bottoms of our feet that attract this parasite. I forget...maybe it was that Barbasia Smkie mentioned. Then there's strongyloides. That one seems the creepiest of all. Strongyloides Stercoralis: eMedicine Emergency Medicine (http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/788652-overview)

And here's another one....it looks like it could be found anywhere in the US. Cryptosporidiosis; The New Enemy: This Dangerous Parasite is Becoming a Common Threat in US. (http://www.suite101.com/content/cryptospiridiosis-the-new-enemy-a19613)

There's parasites that get into the brain tissue. HORRIBLE!

So, I don't know about taking animal de-wormers. Maybe they're not the right thing for humans...too strong, too weak? I don't know much about it. But maybe it's better to ask a Doctor and get the kind that's just right for people or right for the type of worm that lives in your area. Some don't live everywhere. Those meds can be hard on you too, I think.

LOL. Now we're all paranoid and there's going to be a rash of people going in to their doctors, asking for de-worming. They're going to wonder, WTF?

Xandra
09-01-2010, 03:08 PM
lol I certainly thought about it, but no one really talked about worming people so I just sort of wrote it off as a non issue... hmmm...

Grab
09-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Just a note, though, some side effects of pyrantel is loss of appetite, stomach upset, etc. So I'd not necessarily assume that those symptoms right away are evidence of a parasite.

~Jessie~
09-01-2010, 03:17 PM
After reading this thread, I am going to get some dewormer this weekend. LOL.

We had a foster puppy a few years ago with worms... and I was SO afraid I had them as well because of handling her... so I went to the doctor's to get tested for them. It came back negative, though.

PWCorgi
09-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Am I weird because this doesn't gross me out? :lol-sign:

May think about picking some up since I am around so many dogs between classes and daycare, but I don't feel the need to do it before I get paid next week :p

ACooper
09-01-2010, 05:02 PM
Am I weird because this doesn't gross me out? :lol-sign:

YES! But there are lots of other reasons you're weird too, so don't sweat it :rofl1:

MafiaPrincess
09-01-2010, 08:17 PM
So how many people bought dewormer today? lol

I want to know if the butterscotch tastes anything like butterscotch..

noludoru
09-01-2010, 08:21 PM
I have been thinking about it for a long time. Since I had super-wormy kittens and a wormy Middie.

MericoX
09-01-2010, 08:45 PM
I ordered banana flavored kind that will come in tomorrows order. My coworkers and my mother have strongly asked me to not tell them what happens LOL

GlassOnion
09-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Tis why you take pictures of your poo after all your tenants get flushed out.

Solves the Christmas card picture problem too.

MafiaPrincess
09-01-2010, 09:16 PM
What happens Mere? Lots of bathroom breaks..

vanillasugar
09-01-2010, 09:35 PM
I didn't get to the pharmacy today, but it's on my list for tomorrow. Ick.

Lizmo
09-01-2010, 10:22 PM
This thread is really gross. LOL Yet, it has 4/5 stars? Hahaha

I've never thought about deworming myself....

Saeleofu
09-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Soooo...for those of you who bought it at a store...where the heck is it? The only place I ever found it was on the clearance table. Where is it usually? I looked everywhere today at 2 stores and couldn't find it :p

MericoX
09-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Ask at the pharmacy counter, they may be able to order it for you, we didn't have it in the store I work at so I special ordered it.

MafiaPrincess
09-01-2010, 10:24 PM
It has stars? I didn't even notice HAHAHAHAHA

Behind the pharmacy counter I'd guess?

noludoru
09-01-2010, 10:29 PM
I had to rate it. LOL

Laurelin
09-01-2010, 10:31 PM
I ordered banana flavored kind that will come in tomorrows order. My coworkers and my mother have strongly asked me to not tell them what happens LOL

What brand did you get?

MafiaPrincess
09-01-2010, 10:34 PM
I want to hear about butterscotch d@mn it :)

Renee750il
09-01-2010, 10:34 PM
I can't believe Paige hasn't posted yet . . . . :rofl1:

I think I'd be more tempted to go this route Natural Wormers - Dewormers for People, Pets and Livestock. Dogs, Cats, Horses, Cattle, Sheep, Goats. Natural Remedies for Parasites. Herbal and Homeopathic Wormers - Dewormers. Vermifuge. Woodland Natural Remedies, Ontario, Canada. (http://www.woodlandnaturalremedies.com/uswebsite/natural_deworming_remedies.html)

Saeleofu
09-01-2010, 10:39 PM
Well if I have to special order it I'll just order it online myself lol

The butterscotch, according to my vet/boss, really does taste like butterscotch.

Izzy's Valkyrie
09-01-2010, 10:44 PM
I definitely thought I had worms when I had intestinal issues for over two weeks. After a round of Metro (what they give dogs for giardia) I was better though. Since I'm pretty sure metro won't kill worms, I'm hoping that's not what I had lol. I had wormy dogs a a kid but never got dewormed. Now I'll be wondering if I'm skinny because I have a digestive tenet :rofl1:

Southpaw
09-01-2010, 10:46 PM
What happens Mere? Lots of bathroom breaks..

Sooo... am I right to assume that I shouldn't deworm myself on a day that I have plans? :D My sister's wedding is this weekend so I better hold off LOL.

MafiaPrincess
09-01-2010, 10:52 PM
Not an 'emergency' potty situation.. but far more times than I've ever had to go in 24 hours and I'm still uh.. needing to go more as it's been more like 26 or so hours now and I'm not 'done'.

Saeleofu
09-01-2010, 11:04 PM
I definitely thought I had worms when I had intestinal issues for over two weeks. After a round of Metro (what they give dogs for giardia) I was better though. Since I'm pretty sure metro won't kill worms, I'm hoping that's not what I had lol. I had wormy dogs a a kid but never got dewormed. Now I'll be wondering if I'm skinny because I have a digestive tenet :rofl1:

Well...maybe you had Giardia? :D

Izzy's Valkyrie
09-01-2010, 11:14 PM
Well...maybe you had Giardia? :D

Possibly! But then I'd wonder why Izzy didn't get it? I'm just glad to be better lol.

Laurelin
09-01-2010, 11:15 PM
What brands are you guys getting?

JennSLK
09-02-2010, 12:45 AM
I hate you all.

Dakotah
09-02-2010, 01:55 AM
I hate you all.

Ditto. :lol-sign:

~Jessie~
09-02-2010, 09:07 AM
What brands are you guys getting?

I'm curious too. I want to get some this weekend and I'm not sure which kind to get! :rofl1:

ACooper
09-02-2010, 09:26 AM
Question: Would a good colon cleanse have a better effect than one of the over the counter wormers?

I was reading up on this (thanks a lot Mafia, ROFL) and found quite a few links which said most parasitics target certain developmental stages only.....kill the eggs but leave adults, kill adults but leave the eggs, sort of the same way lice shampoos work.

So wouldn't a colon cleanse be the way to go for intestinal parasites?
(asking, not stating, because I have no clue........I just know I am completely freaked out! LMAO)

Jules
09-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Ack. Why did I come back to this?! I guess it would be a good thing to do.... but uuuuh.

So... to the ones who dewormed themselves... do you look before flushing? lol

jenv101
09-02-2010, 10:55 AM
I can't believe Paige hasn't posted yet . . . . :rofl1:

I think I'd be more tempted to go this route Natural Wormers - Dewormers for People, Pets and Livestock. Dogs, Cats, Horses, Cattle, Sheep, Goats. Natural Remedies for Parasites. Herbal and Homeopathic Wormers - Dewormers. Vermifuge. Woodland Natural Remedies, Ontario, Canada. (http://www.woodlandnaturalremedies.com/uswebsite/natural_deworming_remedies.html)

Hmm this place is near by I might have to go check it out.

I must admit this has been on my mind ever since we got Riley because he had lots of worm issues the first few months. Sigh:o

MericoX
09-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Sorry, didn't look at the brand. I can check tomorrow when I pick it up as I had to call in sick today due to Kiba.

SweetAdeline
09-02-2010, 11:35 AM
I've never thought about poo so much in my life. I guess I'll have to do this (after the Butterbean is born, of course).

MericoX
09-02-2010, 11:45 AM
I've never thought about poo so much in my life. I guess I'll have to do this (after the Butterbean is born, of course).

Sure you're pregnant and not a heavy worm load? :rofl1: J/k.. couldn't help myself!

Fran27
09-02-2010, 12:21 PM
I've thought about it but I haven't bothered because then I'd have to do it every month or so for it to be effective...

~Jessie~
09-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Sure you're pregnant and not a heavy worm load? :rofl1: J/k.. couldn't help myself!

:yikes:

:rofl1: :rofl1:

Excuse me while I go throw up. LOL.

Giny
09-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Wow, did I ever pick the wrong thread to read while eating my lunch.

hankster
09-02-2010, 02:45 PM
Pyrantel has little effect on tapeworms or whipworms.

No a colon cleanse will not get rid of intestinal worms.

If you are already totally grossed out by the topic read no further.

The meds make the worms let go of the intestinal wall and/or kill them. Plus several of the types of worms are not found in the colon they are in the small intestine. Several of the types of worms move out of the intestine and encyst in various tissues. Generally they just sit there and there are no effects or symptoms in humans and adult dogs. Most of the de-worming meds are only effective against worms in the gut.

dachshunds4me
09-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Pyran 50 (Pyrantel Pamoate suspension) (http://www.pet-source.com/product/pyr50?zmam=73332563&zmas=1&zmac=1&zmap=PYR50)

What kind did you take, Mafia?? How much of it??
This brand is what we use for the dogs, it gets rounds which are most common here.
It is formulated for humans and has dosages on there for weights for humans.

Dekka
09-02-2010, 02:56 PM
Pyrantel Pamoate will get tapes at a 'double dose'.

dachshunds4me
09-02-2010, 03:05 PM
We use Praziquantel for tapes...you can get it as "fish tapes" online.

Dakotah
09-02-2010, 05:04 PM
Now I am thinking I have worms crawling around in my body and that I'm being eaten from the inside out. Awesome sauce.

noodlerubyallie
09-02-2010, 06:36 PM
One of the many reasons I love you Mafia.

:hail::rofl1:

Dekka
09-02-2010, 07:31 PM
We use Praziquantel for tapes...you can get it as "fish tapes" online.

Does it do all the other ones? Pyrantel pamoate is what is in the human one for tapes, and dog ones for tapes. (and its cheap and easy to get.. and VERY safe, you can take 40x to much.. barf lol.. and be fine)

dachshunds4me
09-02-2010, 07:54 PM
Unless we are different than dogs, Pyrantel does not get Tapes.
Only Fenbendazole (Safeguard) gets one type of tapes, the other requires praziquantel.

Dekka
09-02-2010, 08:02 PM
Pyrantel (at least our tapes here in ontario) is got by pyrantel in dogs horses and humans.

Tapes are becoming resistant to various drugs, but here it still works.

GlassOnion
09-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Pyrantel only works on a few types of tapeworms, but it does work.

Not sure what all species can infect humans. Taenia saginata and solium for sure (one of the many reasons to thoroughly cook meat; prazi kills both), D. latum (if you eat raw fish I suppose; prazi kills this one) possibly, and D. caninum (common dog tapeworm) if you eat fleas...Prazi kills this one too.

There's a couple others humans can get (E. granulosas - which is VERY cool but also very rare in the US; if you want to be grossed out, read about this one and be sure to google image search 'hydatid cysts' :D - for instance) but they generally aren't found in the US.

And really tapeworms, unless you just have a super heavy infection (at which point you'd probably know) don't consume enough nutrients to make a difference in your diet. The "you must have a tapeworm!" thing is a bit of a myth. There's also grosser stuff living inside you already, so what's one more to the party?

Oh and it should be noted that your body has an immune system and keeps stuff in check for the most part. It can kill tapeworms (unless they encyst in your muscles).

MafiaPrincess
09-03-2010, 01:51 PM
Well It's been a couple of days.

Was 48 hours of needing to go to the bathroom more than usual. 6 hours of upset tummy. But now I am less hungry and it's been multiple days, and have less of a craving for sweet things.

I want butterscotch in future though :)

MericoX
09-03-2010, 10:21 PM
Got my dewormer! Gonna do it before bed (after dinner has somewhat settled) lol

MafiaPrincess
09-03-2010, 10:50 PM
You might have to get up and poop in the middle of the night...

MericoX
09-04-2010, 02:00 AM
Banana wasn't bad. I'll let yall know how it goes. LOL

GipsyQueen
09-04-2010, 02:08 AM
I've never felt such a strong urge to deworm myself in my life. Actually, Ive never felt the urge to deworm myself.... ever. lol
I've never seen so many poop threads like on Chaz. :lol-sign:
I think if people we're to google, poop worms and humans in one go, they would totally land on chaz.

Saeleofu
09-04-2010, 02:19 AM
Surprisingly...even googling "Have you ever thought of deworming yourself" doesn't get us in the first page...apparently horse people are almost as nuts :rofl1:

Google (http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=have+you+ever+thought+of+deworming+yourself&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=e0039099bf202268)

Saeleofu
09-04-2010, 02:24 AM
Holy ****, watch the first video :rofl1:

deworm yourself. small round worms human parasites look (http://parasites-inside.com/deworm-yourself.html)

AllieMackie
09-04-2010, 10:25 AM
EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

EW EW EW

ew.

Zoom
09-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Great, now between the years I spent in a kennel, my penchant for going barefoot and spending all summer working around horses (who I'm pretty sure don't get dewormed regularly)...I think I need to go pick some of this up after I'm done riding for the season.

ICKY ICKY EW EW EW!

Dizzy
03-05-2011, 09:58 AM
Uuuuuuurgh this is like my worst nightmare and yes I've thought about doing it!!! I HATE parasites.

sassafras
03-05-2011, 10:04 AM
As a healthy, immunocompetent adult, I don't really worry about it for myself. If I had kids or any vulnerable adults in my home I would probably ask the doctor for something. But I wouldn't do it myself unless the doctor was no help whatsoever.

ETA: But honestly the mere thought doesn't creep me out THAT much. I'm not a very squeamish person, though.

Ellas_Daddy
03-05-2011, 10:12 AM
I've grown quite fond of my tape worm. He likes Oreo's, fast food, and Pepsi.

Renee750il
03-05-2011, 12:48 PM
I wonder if a tapeworm would help with weight loss . . . . . .

LauraLeigh
03-05-2011, 01:40 PM
Ok.... I am at work, it's quiet and boring today... I read this whole thread... My co-worker can't figure out why I look so..... Disturbed..... LOL

Southpaw
03-05-2011, 04:44 PM
I still think about this thread all the time. LOL but I haven't gotten the courage to deworm myself.

Ellas_Daddy
03-05-2011, 08:03 PM
Well it would be inside you, so probably not. I'm so glad this thread doesn't have pics.

goldiefur
03-06-2011, 02:12 AM
OMG I'm 37 and have never been wormed! i have been around dogs since the day I was born and i walked barefoot when I was a kid. I wonder if a colonoscopy would show worms?

that medicine only kills pin worms what about all of the other worms? I want something that covers all of them.:eek::yikes:

Saeleofu
03-06-2011, 02:42 AM
I still think about this thread all the time. LOL but I haven't gotten the courage to deworm myself

Same here lol. I do have the dewormer sitting on the shelf though...

GlassOnion
03-06-2011, 03:44 AM

Nope.

Renee750il
03-06-2011, 01:34 PM
Ah, well, it was a thought, since dogs who have tapeworms always seem to get skinny . . . . Can you imagine marketing that as the latest easy weight loss gimmick? ROFL!

Ellas_Daddy
03-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Ah, well, it was a thought, since dogs who have tapeworms always seem to get skinny . . . . Can you imagine marketing that as the latest easy weight loss gimmick? ROFL!

Probably fit right in with half the other crap out there. "Ingest these tapeworms, take speed, and wear this body condom."

Renee750il
03-06-2011, 05:27 PM
You'd have to swallow fleas, I'd guess . . . People eat chocolate covered ants and crickets, so . . . There's always a market segment that will swallow anything if you say it will take off weight without having to exercise or change their diet :D

Dizzy
03-06-2011, 05:31 PM
There is an urban myth that the Victorians swallowed tapeworm eggs to stay slim. I've never seen any literature on it though!

GlassOnion
03-06-2011, 10:14 PM
There is an urban myth that the Victorians swallowed tapeworm eggs to stay slim. I've never seen any literature on it though!

Tapeworms do not absorb enough to have a significant impact on the host's body unless it's a ridiculously heavy infestion.

Saeleofu
03-06-2011, 10:36 PM
since dogs who have tapeworms always seem to get skinny

I've seen more fat dogs with tapes than skinny dogs. I've also seen someone collecting all the tapeworm segments their dog left in their BED because they didn't know what they were :yikes:

You'd have to swallow fleas, I'd guess

Makes you really want to make sure you don't get a flea infestation...ewwwwwwwwww

RD
03-06-2011, 11:57 PM
honestly I've been feeling horrible lately and I'm wondering if I haven't picked up something from the many many dogs I work with.

I wonder what I can use to worm myself here.

Southpaw
03-07-2011, 12:28 AM
Same here lol. I do have the dewormer sitting on the shelf though...

Take it and tell me what happens. :p

LOL I don't know why I'm so scared to do it?? Maybe I just don't want to know the truth lol.

smkie
03-07-2011, 12:31 AM
I took about 3000 dollars according to my pharmacist of ivermectin. Which didn't fix anything that is going on with me. but I figure i probably don't have to worry about other things. This one, nothing kills.

Saeleofu
03-07-2011, 12:36 AM
LOL I don't know why I'm so scared to do it?? Maybe I just don't want to know the truth lol.

Some posts here say you need time to go to the bathroom as often as needed...and I haven't really had the chance to do that...

puppydog
03-07-2011, 09:51 AM
I've seen more fat dogs with tapes than skinny dogs. I've also seen someone collecting all the tapeworm segments their dog left in their BED because they didn't know what they were :yikes:

Hurls copiously all over the place!!!! :yikes:

cloudcandy
02-27-2012, 11:22 AM
This is the grossest thing I have ever read...I feel ill :(

Kristen1980
02-27-2012, 12:47 PM
This thread is gross and is making my skin crawl! Cant imagine worms falling out of my bum, ohmygoodness I would just die!

Thanks! Now Im paranoid!

Emily
02-27-2012, 01:08 PM
lol I should probably worm myself... Keeva is nasty and eats poop at daycare. She's had tapes and giardia so far. I'm just gonna put her a regular worming schedule because as a sh!t eater it's inevitable.

So yeah... I should probably worm myself. LOL. The thought doesn't really bother me, actually. It should, but it doesn't. I think working in at a boarding kennel has made me numb to gross.

katielou
02-27-2012, 01:23 PM
When you work in the funeral biz you see all kinds of worms :D

Dekka
02-27-2012, 01:25 PM
really... now that is interesting.

Are you talking worms that people died WITH? What kind of worms?

katielou
02-27-2012, 01:30 PM
really... now that is interesting.

Are you talking worms that people died WITH? What kind of worms?

Yes worms that people died with. I've walked into embalming rooms and seen worms coming out of mouths and noses.

Dekka
02-27-2012, 01:32 PM
Wow how gross (and interesting) do you know what species they were? How freaked out where you when you first saw this, or is it common knowledge so you expect it long before you see it.

Not that I think I could handle it, I find the mortuary business fascinating.

katielou
02-27-2012, 01:36 PM
Wow how gross (and interesting) do you know what species they were? How freaked out where you when you first saw this, or is it common knowledge so you expect it long before you see it.

Not that I think I could handle it, I find the mortuary business fascinating.

At least once its been a tape but thats the only worm i can identify :D

Freaked out when i first saw it and vomited. I wouldn't say i am use to it now because its not really common, Maybe one out of every 1000 cases, but it doesn't really surprise me anymore.

Kristen1980
02-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Yes worms that people died with. I've walked into embalming rooms and seen worms coming out of mouths and noses.

OMG :yikes: I would have never thought!!

So when a person does deworm themselves... do you poop the worms out? I mean, can you see them in your poop? How do they come out? I've heard of people pulling them out of their rear by hand and then the worm broke and snapped back in their behinds. Maybe I just answered my own question! Hmm :yikes:

Dizzy
02-27-2012, 01:40 PM
I HATE WORMS!!!!!!!!!! This is my lifelong fear.

And katielou - my other half is a funeral director ;) he's never told me about worms though.......... blurgh!!! Just.... other stuff muggles should never have to know!!!

JessLough
02-27-2012, 01:49 PM
This thread disgusts me, I always die a little when somebody resurrects it XD

Katie, that is something I could have gladly died without knowing :p

katielou
02-27-2012, 01:55 PM
I HATE WORMS!!!!!!!!!! This is my lifelong fear.

And katielou - my other half is a funeral director ;) he's never told me about worms though.......... blurgh!!! Just.... other stuff muggles should never have to know!!!

Whoop! I worked as one in England for a while though i admit to preferring the embalming to the arranging!

Ask him if he knows Sheila Dicks?

Dekka
02-27-2012, 02:23 PM
OMG :yikes: I would have never thought!!

So when a person does deworm themselves... do you poop the worms out? I mean, can you see them in your poop? How do they come out? I've heard of people pulling them out of their rear by hand and then the worm broke and snapped back in their behinds. Maybe I just answered my own question! Hmm :yikes:

99% of the time you don't see anything different really. If a human/dog/horse has a high worm load you will be able to see it in regular poop. Once you deworm you kill them. Most times they are very small and just break down. The only ones I have seen or really heard of seeing are tape and in really bad infestations round worms (but I was seeing them before the deworming too)

MericoX
02-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Hahaha I love this thread, and still get a kick out of telling people I've dewormed myself.

AdrianneIsabel
02-27-2012, 02:42 PM
Would it be worth getting a fecal before you deworm yourself?

Are there negative side effects?

When one dog in the house has worms does that assure that all dogs in the house do? And there for the owner? What about if they do not? Shamoo regularly gets fecals for boarding and they're always clean.

Dekka
02-27-2012, 02:47 PM
If you have a microscope you can do your own fecals ;)

But you can have worms and not have it show up. I know with horses pretty much ALL horses have worms, its worm load you worry about. I don't know if dogs are the same.

Negative side effects are dramatically depending on the anthelmintic you use. The one in the start of this thread is very safe, minimal issues. You can take up to 20x the suggested dose and be fine. Ivermectin, on the other hand, can kill or at least make dogs with the MDR-1 gene mutation sick.

Typically if one dog has worms the others will if they go the same places, hang out together.. if one picked them up the others will too.

MafiaPrincess
02-27-2012, 04:38 PM
Hahaha. Boo yeah, it's back again!

Renee750il
02-27-2012, 10:01 PM
We do have some of the most perversely fascinating discussions :rofl1:

Moth
02-27-2012, 10:09 PM
The only thing I have to add...

"You are never alone when you are parasitized!"

:D

Southpaw
02-27-2012, 11:37 PM
Ever since this thread first started, I have like, weekly discussions with my friend about whether or not we should deworm ourselves.

And yes, I am still too chicken to go through with it.

JessLough
02-27-2012, 11:53 PM
I know with horses pretty much ALL horses have worms, its worm load you worry about. I don't know if dogs are the same.

Just wanted to add... it's the same with ferrets... so it's possible it's the same with dogs, not just a horse thing (not really sure, though)

ThoseWordsAtBest
02-28-2012, 12:39 AM
I want you to know that you have destroyed my hope for a normal life with this thread.

Dizzy
02-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Whoop! I worked as one in England for a while though i admit to preferring the embalming to the arranging!

Ask him if he knows Sheila Dicks?

They don't embalm... it's rural so no call for it... just whack em in the fridge, and they're usually in a hole within a week. He loves his job, couldn't see him doing anything different!!!

I bought him this mug for his bday last year... ;) (excuse the pic, someone picked it up for me and took a million pics of it in different scenarios before she gave it to me).

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/165280_1688616812064_1137000657_31837507_4080006_n .jpg
(It says 'I put the fun in funeral' lol.. it's true!

Not sure he'll know who she is.. who is she? lol

katielou
02-28-2012, 03:43 PM
Not sure he'll know who she is.. who is she? lol

Everyone knows sheila in the UK. She played a big part in the NAFD etc.

Dizzy
02-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Everyone knows sheila in the UK. She played a big part in the NAFD etc.

I'll ask, but I can almost predict his answer :D

Renee750il
02-28-2012, 09:52 PM
I want you to know that you have destroyed my hope for a normal life with this thread.

You gave that up when you joined, lmao! ;)

Blue_Dog
03-08-2012, 12:04 PM
o.0 Dear lord.

Actually I had thought about it before. But I just didn't want to so I put it in the back of my mind. I'm caught between wanting to do it and not wanting to think about it ever and let it die at the back of my mind.

I walk barefoot in the summer all the time and with the mutt I really only wash my hands after picking up his poop. Otherwise I don't worry about him. Now I guess I should have been worrying more about me. >.<

To those that did deworm, did you notice significant differences after a few weeks or was it just the initial few days. Someone mentioned that side effects of some of the meds mentioned were loss of appetite and nausea.

jenv101
03-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Ohhh the thread is back again lol! Has anyone ever taken DE themselves?

http://youtu.be/RQn6GSHNzBE

PitBullLove
03-13-2012, 01:52 AM
Do you see them in your poop when they come out?
Edit: Someone already asked :o
Imagine how many people you rescued from worms with this thread :D

yoko
03-13-2012, 09:04 PM
Well I feel gross now. I might go worm myself because now I'm paranoid.

bigcypresshunter
03-12-2014, 06:55 PM
First time poster here. I need de-wormed. At first I thought it was poison ivy on my ankle until it started moving. I have Hookworm. It crawls around under my skin looking for a way into my bloodstream. No I cant see it in my poop and you cant see it in dog poop either. Its microscopic often called the silent killer that once killed 14,000 people in Puerto Rico..

Im living at a campground in sub-tropical South Florida. My neighbors dogs used to poop everywhere until I complained. After some bitter arguments, the dogs are now on a leash and I no longer have to remove poop from my shoes.

However the problem is not over. I saw a doctor and he wrote a script for 4 pills. The cost is over $500 for 4 freekin pills!! Im at my wits end scratching all night. I have tried freezing and burning them out but all it does is cause infections. Im afraid if the little creepy crawlers will succeed in entering my bloodstream they will eat my organs from the inside out.

My question: Can I safely take once a month dog de-wormer pills to kill hookworm and what is the dose for a 190 pound human? Cost $8. Im at McDs WIFI. Any help appreciated.

meepitsmeagan
03-14-2014, 10:11 AM
Ewewewewew.

EEEWWWWW.

This is sooo gross. I've never ever, ever thought about worming myself.

Now I totally feel like I should.

MinPinOwner
03-14-2014, 10:21 AM
Ewewewewew.

EEEWWWWW.

This is sooo gross. I've never ever, ever thought about worming myself.

Now I totally feel like I should.

You should read about pinworms, if you really want to be grossed out. I didn't know there was such a thing until I saw an article about them recently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinworms

meepitsmeagan
03-14-2014, 10:24 AM
You should read about pinworms, if you really want to be grossed out. I didn't know there was such a thing until I saw an article about them recently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinworms

I can't do it! I want to puke. I got through about three lines and one picture and had to close out. yuckyuckyuckyuck.

xpaeanx
03-14-2014, 10:33 AM
First time poster here. I need de-wormed. At first I thought it was poison ivy on my ankle until it started moving. I have Hookworm. It crawls around under my skin looking for a way into my bloodstream. No I cant see it in my poop and you cant see it in dog poop either. Its microscopic often called the silent killer that once killed 14,000 people in Puerto Rico..

Im living at a campground in sub-tropical South Florida. My neighbors dogs used to poop everywhere until I complained. After some bitter arguments, the dogs are now on a leash and I no longer have to remove poop from my shoes.

However the problem is not over. I saw a doctor and he wrote a script for 4 pills. The cost is over $500 for 4 freekin pills!! Im at my wits end scratching all night. I have tried freezing and burning them out but all it does is cause infections. Im afraid if the little creepy crawlers will succeed in entering my bloodstream they will eat my organs from the inside out.

My question: Can I safely take once a month dog de-wormer pills to kill hookworm and what is the dose for a 190 pound human? Cost $8. Im at McDs WIFI. Any help appreciated.

I generally feel giving medical advice of this nature over the Internet isn't the best way to go about things. I would make a phone call to your doctor and express your concern over the cost of the medication. Maybe he can write you a script for a cheaper medication? Maybe he knows of funds available to people who can not afford their medications? He may come up with several options you have not thought about yourself. If you are still unable to reach an agreeable solution, then I would bring up the dog wormer topic. But make sure to look at what wormers are available and try to find one that is only wormer, so probably a suspension not a pill. A lot of time they add "flavors" to dog pills. Tell him about that wormer when you bring it up. Maybe even take a picture of the ingredients list and how much actual drug per mL.

GipsyQueen
03-14-2014, 07:54 PM
I remember this thread. It was gross the first time around, and it's gross the second time around. :p

Paviche
03-14-2014, 08:20 PM
Every time this thread comes up I really want to deworm myself but it's so gross and kind of scary to think about. What exactly do you need/do?

Oko
03-14-2014, 09:55 PM
Curse you, all of you. *shudder*

JazzyTheSibe
03-14-2014, 10:04 PM
Nope, I couldn't. I just...couldn't.

CharlieDog
03-15-2014, 12:37 AM
Curse you, all of you. *shudder*

This. God.

bigcypresshunter
03-15-2014, 07:20 PM
I generally feel giving medical advice of this nature over the Internet isn't the best way to go about things. I would make a phone call to your doctor and express your concern over the cost of the medication. Maybe he can write you a script for a cheaper medication? Maybe he knows of funds available to people who can not afford their medications? He may come up with several options you have not thought about yourself. If you are still unable to reach an agreeable solution, then I would bring up the dog wormer topic. But make sure to look at what wormers are available and try to find one that is only wormer, so probably a suspension not a pill. A lot of time they add "flavors" to dog pills. Tell him about that wormer when you bring it up. Maybe even take a picture of the ingredients list and how much actual drug per mL.

Thanks xpaeanx for taking time to reply. I appreciate it. Im still in the research stage before I take animal meds. Medical assistance takes time. I can also try to apply for Obamacare but Im losing my patience with worms crawling under my skin. I will try to call the doctor. Unfortunately there is no over the counter remedy for dog Hookworm.

ll post a pic when I get a chance. Im not trying to gross anybody out, just posting what can happen. I ordered Vermox from Sri Lanka for $8 but it has yet to arrive.

MericoX
03-28-2014, 10:32 AM
The dogs have coccidia and roundworms. I've been having tummy issues the last couple of months chalking it up to a new carb intolerance. I'm somewhat thinking it isn't and ordered dewormer for myself. I'm skeered.

meepitsmeagan
03-28-2014, 11:09 AM
The dogs have coccidia and roundworms. I've been having tummy issues the last couple of months chalking it up to a new carb intolerance. I'm somewhat thinking it isn't and ordered dewormer for myself. I'm skeered.

Eeewwwww.