Letting your children smoke. [Archive] - Chazhound Dog Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Letting your children smoke.

Squishy22
09-16-2009, 02:06 PM
I know a woman who lets her 15 year old son smoke cigarettes. I was appalled. Even a 17 year old has no business smoking. When you turn 18 you can make your own choices, but until then, you are under your parents rule. You have to do what they say. No questions asked.

Other being that it is against the law, it makes me sick that a parent would let their child do something that is so horrible for their health.

Surprise surprise this kid was diagnosed with bronchitis today.

What do you think about drinking? My parents would not let me smoke, even after I turned 18, lol. But they allowed me to drink at the age of 17. I would have margaritas with them and even shots of tequila.

Opinions?

puppydog
09-16-2009, 02:14 PM
No on the smoking and no on the drinking. It is illegal and personally, I think it is very trashy to have tequila shots with your under age child.
My father allowed me to have a sherry glass of wine at dinner each night. But I recently found out that he filled the glass with half water half wine.
Besides, wine in South Africa is about culture, not getting drunk. It is pretty routine for kids to be allowed wine with meals.

Squishy22
09-16-2009, 02:35 PM
I would have to agree. My little sister is 17 now. At 17 I felt like I was old enough to make my own decisions. Old enough to drink and go out partying with my friends. My sister is 5 years younger than me, and whenI hear about her going out and drinking, I cringe. I found out she had a boyfriend and I nearly sh!t myself.

Dekka
09-16-2009, 02:39 PM
Smoking I have a huge issue with, its a dumb thing to start no matter what your age is. But drinking.. it depends. My parents always said if I wanted to have a beer, or a glass of wine (as a teenager) I was more than welcome too. Drinking was shown to be social, not to get drunk.

Most of the kids I knew who 'partied the heartiest' came from families where they weren't allowed to drink evar. Those who were allowed to drink socially with family seemed not have the 'forbidden fruit' complex with alcohol.

CaliTerp07
09-16-2009, 02:43 PM
No smoking, no drinking. Health effects aside, it is illegal, and I don't like the idea of a parent who teaches their child it is okay to break the law.

GipsyQueen
09-16-2009, 02:44 PM
Smoking, hell no. Drinking, yes.
I would not ALLOW my child to smoke under any cercumstance. At least I would not apporove of it. I'm not sure what I would do to stop my child from smoking, because at 16 and 17 or younger, they can be pretty sneaky. Unfortualtly in Germany, you can still get cigarettes at any age in certian places. This pretty much has to do with them changing the smoking law, from being able to buy cigarrettes at the age of 16 to having to be 18. (That was shortly before I was 16 - most of the people in my class stocked them)
I wouldn't mind if my child smoked a ciggarette once in a while - at least I wouldn't pounce on them. I wouldn't approve, but as long as it doesn't become a regular thing. I can't be hypocrytical either, because I smoke on and off as well.

I would however allow my child to drink. At least at home under my supervision. Maybe not liquer or any other hard stuff, but wine or beer. Here, once they turn 16, I can't keep them from drinking anyways. :eek: They can expirement and find their limits BEFORE they learn how to drive, so that they can test their limits (NOT drunk so that they don't remember anything drunk).
My parents didn't say anything to me drinking after I turned 16. It was legal, and if felt that I needed it I would have been able to buy it anyway.
My mom always says, better it be at home, than anywhere else.

I really don't approve drinking and driving though. Not at all. They would get their car taken away. end of story.

[QUOTE]Most of the kids I knew who 'partied the heartiest' came from families where they weren't allowed to drink evar. Those who were allowed to drink socially with family seemed not have the 'forbidden fruit' complex with alcohol./QUOTE]

This.

iwantmypup
09-16-2009, 02:44 PM
My mom grew up in Spain, and she would be able to go to a bar and get a beer with some tapas when she was 15 or 16.

I am trying to make a post that sounds normal and not confusing, haha.
I'm allowed to drink, as long as I am with family and/or at home and not on antibiotics. But I really don't want to, I'm doing just fine with my Gatorade and teas, I'm allowed a glass of wine or champagne(which i find gross, hah) and beer probably (because we always have it and it helps with weight gain :p), but like I said, I don't really want to, haha.

as for the smoking...ugghh. that is just such a bad idea.

zoe08
09-16-2009, 02:45 PM
Smoking is a definite no.

If it is like one drink like a glass of wine or something then I would allow them to do that at home. Shots? No. Straight hard liquor? No.

Doberluv
09-16-2009, 02:48 PM
Absolutely NO on the smoking. With the drinking, I'm somewhere in the middle. I'll explain. When I was about 16 or 17 and my parents had a cocktail party....all very civilized and responsible, no one got drunk or anything, they would include me in their party. We'd have fancy hors d'***339;uvres...all pretty "classy." Not that it was a brawling kegger party.

My Dad would make me a very weak gin and tonic with a lime in it. It made me feel "grown up" and part of the group. I never developed a fascination with alcohol because it wasn't a "forbidden" or tabu thing....no big deal. I never felt a thrill or compulsion to go to parties in high school where they had keggers or anything. To this day, I drink very little....a couple of beers if I go out to a karaoke bar or one or two drinks if I go to a party. It's just not a big deal.

I realize that some people may be at risk nevertheless, due to genes and their propensity toward addiction to alcohol. But for most people, a little bit of alcohol isn't bad for them. (in fact, one or two drinks when you're an adult may reduce the risk of heart attack due to lowering the b.p.)

Cigarettes, on the other hand are horrible for anyone and very addictive.

So, I think if alcohol is given judicially by the parents when and if a teen is old enough to realize some responsibility, it's not necessarily a bad thing. It's in the home...no driving, no sneaking around and no excess and it may take the fascination out of it.

Doberluv
09-16-2009, 02:49 PM
Wow...I missed all those posts while I was typing. LOL.

sparks19
09-16-2009, 02:50 PM
well I wouldn't go out and BUY smokes for my underage child....

But remembering being a teenager and smoking (for the brief time that I did) my parents couldn't stop me from smoking. They wouldn't buy them for me and would not let me be around them when I decided to smoke... but there are plenty of ways to get cigarettes .

but I always remember being allowed to have a beer on a hot summer day or at a special occassion and such.

bubbatd
09-16-2009, 02:54 PM
Today anyone who starts smoking is just plain stupid ! As to having a drink , I was brought up that it was a social thing ...not something to be abused . I would hate to send my child off to college and have binge drinking their first experience .

GipsyQueen
09-16-2009, 02:55 PM
To be honest, I to this day, do not understand why the drinking age in the USA (and Canada?) is 21. Esp. for beer or wine. Beer has so little alcohol.... esp. if its one of those mixerys. (2,5%)

Beanie
09-16-2009, 02:58 PM
My parents were both strongly against both - my dad hates it, my mother has terrible fears about alcohol because her dad was an alcoholic - and I've still never been drunk once in my life. I do drink, but I have absolutely no desire to go out, party, and get trashed. I know a lot of people think if you don't make things "forbidden" that takes a lot of the mystery out of it for kids, but honestly, I disagree. I think it's all about HOW you make it "forbidden..." If it's just straight up "I said no therefore no," it's probably not going to end well, no matter the subject.

I've never touched a cigarette and never will. I think it's disgusting. I wish all of my friends who still smoke could/would quit. I think letting your kid smoke is awful. Does she smoke? Is that why she does it, because she's afraid of looking like a hypocrite? It's still terrible either way, I just can't figure out what her mindset must be to allow her young child to smoke.

Though I will admit that the number of people in my life I have lost due to drunk drivers likely has a strong weight on how much I do/do not drink.

Laurelin
09-16-2009, 02:58 PM
No to smoking at all. Will not be tolerated by anyone in my house period. If they do smoke, it will not be in my house and I will not enable them in any way. It's disgusting and I'm allergic.

Drinking wine/beer with a meal or on occasion I don't have a problem with.

Doberluv
09-16-2009, 03:00 PM
Beer has so little alcohol.... esp. if its one of those mixerys. (2,5%)

I don't know about that. After two beers, my singing sounds better. And after everyone else in the bar drinks two or more beers, it reeeeeelly gets better.:rofl1:

CaliTerp07
09-16-2009, 03:00 PM
To be honest, I to this day, do not understand why the drinking age in the USA (and Canada?) is 21. Esp. for beer or wine. Beer has so little alcohol.... esp. if its one of those mixerys. (2,5%)

1 1/2 beers is more than enough to make me buzzed/tipsy. I only weigh 115 lbs, and drink occasionally. Anything over 2-3 beers (unless I reallllllly space them out) is enough to make me walk into walls.

Soo...yeah. Those 5-6% beers are more than enough to cause damage for the right person.

GipsyQueen
09-16-2009, 03:06 PM
1 1/2 beers is more than enough to make me buzzed/tipsy. I only weigh 115 lbs, and drink occasionally. Anything over 2-3 beers (unless I reallllllly space them out) is enough to make me walk into walls.

Soo...yeah. Those 5-6% beers are more than enough to cause damage for the right person.

Sure you can get buzzed on beer - but at 21, you can still get just as buzzed on beer than if you were 16. I drank beer for the first time at 14 - like 2 0,33cl bottels, and got a bit er happy - but even now if I drink 2 beers I start getting more chatty than I normally would be. I don't think thats going to change when I turn 21.

I don't know about that. After two beers, my singing sounds better. And after everyone else in the bar drinks two or more beers, it reeeeeelly gets better.:rofl1:

Bahaha I love the late nights when the whole bar starts singing :D

CaliTerp07
09-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Sure you can get buzzed on beer - but at 21, you can still get just as buzzed on beer than if you were 16. I drank beer for the first time at 14 - like 2 0,33cl bottels, and got a bit er happy - but even now if I drink 2 beers I start getting more chatty than I normally would be. I don't think thats going to change when I turn 21.

I think the idea is that you are able to make more responsible decisions at 21 than you are at 14, 16, or 18. (For everyone? No. But for the majority of people? Yes)

sparks19
09-16-2009, 03:22 PM
the legal drinking age on Canada (well in ontario) is 19.

I think in Quebec it's 18.

Squishy22
09-16-2009, 03:24 PM
My family drank to get drunk. When I drink now, I drink to at least get a buzz.

I think 21 is ridiculous for the drinking age.

Here in OK the alcohol percentage in beer is 3%. I drive about 15 miles to MO and buy beer at %5.

I honestly dont see how smoking is addictive. I know its VERY addictive but when I did try it, it made me choke to death. Its worse than smoking green and you dont get a high from it either. So what is the point really? To look cool?

Laurelin
09-16-2009, 03:35 PM
Reggin as awful as it is, those are my thoughts as well. If I were to go out and smoke something, I'd want it to be something that at least made me high. Is that terrible? lol

Izzy's Valkyrie
09-16-2009, 03:56 PM
I'm in general agreement with the people here. Smoking, hellllll no! But between my asthma and allergies, it was never an option for me anyways. Actually, my dad smoked my whole life until about three years ago when he quit cold turkey to keep his insurance down lol. So the smell of smokes remind me of my dad which is nice even though it makes me cough. But no, I tell anyone I know that smokes to ditch the cancer sticks.

My parents would let me have a wine cooler in the summer or try a jello shooter (Which is not nearly as strong as a shot) at their friends' parties if I went along so there was never anything forbidden about drinking. I guess my brother was just a jerk because he still got drunk when my parents would go out of town (He's younger than me, still only 17) But since I've yelled at him and tell him routinely that alcohol binges will screw college for him, he's back to a more reasonable "social" drinking pattern of once every so often and not to get drunk.

I'll probably be like that with my kid, let them drink a little at home to show it as a social activity rather than a hidden binge habit. Then again, I've lost my taste for alcohol period sooo there probably won't be much in the house!

Squishy22
09-16-2009, 03:57 PM
Reggin as awful as it is, those are my thoughts as well. If I were to go out and smoke something, I'd want it to be something that at least made me high. Is that terrible? lol

LOL. People look at me weird when I say that. Like I am some kind of drug addict or something. I am not a drug addict, I just dont see the point in smoking something that gives you nothing in return other than stinky breath.

Kids and young adults smoke to feel all growed up. They smoke to fit in and feel cool. Its also a rebellious thing. And then they get addicted and cant stop. They have that one or two cigs when around friends and then they find themselves not being able to go an hour without thinking about smoking.

I tried it out of curiosity. I wanted to see what was so great about it. I hated it.

sparks19
09-16-2009, 04:01 PM

Agreed... and something that didn't make me feel the urge to barf immediately afterwards lol

xpaeanx
09-16-2009, 04:11 PM
From the personal experience of dating a smoker who "kept trying to quit:"

he wouldn't touch a cigarette all weekend when he was with me. Not one. He had no cravings what-so-ever for them, and he always told me Monday he would be grossed out by the taste of them.

So why does he still smoke to this day? It's a social thing. People from his office all take a break from work for 3 minutes or so, gather outside for a "cig," and talk and socialize. People at my office do the same thing. I think they feel without the ciggarette there is no reason to do it, and they actually crave the company during the day that the "cig breaks" bring with them.

Would I let my child smoke? absolutely not, and even when they're 50 they wouldn't be allowed to smoke in my house.

Would I let them drink? to a certain extent yes. If they wanted a glass of wine or beer or something with dinner or when watching tv yes. Would they be allowed to do shots? no. Would they be allowed to drink a lot with dinner? no.

Fran101
09-16-2009, 04:12 PM
Smoking. as in ciggarettes never lol I still don't smoke them,the smell is horrible and I cant even stand being around that smell

as for smoking other things. I've never tried it but I don't mind the smell and as far as im concerned its much less problematic than many other things lol think of the side effects.. sleepy happy hungry lol I will try it eventually

Hilarious katt williams take on weed: YouTube - Katt Williams - Weed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWhUqo9Aivs)

Drinking, I drank a glass of wine at dinner every night since I was pretty young. champagne at celebrations and things like that. I never drink to get "wasted" really unless its like spring break or something lol

Ive noticed that many of the kids passed out at parties here totally wasted every other night are those whose parents taught them that alcohol was BAD/EVIL so they got to college and went drinking crazy and didn't know their limits

Crowsfeet
09-16-2009, 04:16 PM
I personally have no qualms about younger folks drinking, provided that it is responsible and not done in a way that projects immature use. Just as well, actually being intoxicated at a younger age probably isn't the best. I definitely want to reiterate the point that if maybe the US desensitized the use of alcohol with younger people in the way it is with some of our farther neighboring countries, it may be much less of a 'thrill' for them. I'm twenty, and these days it's either a glass or two of wine, or the beer has to be a good one.

Smoking cigarettes is a different story, sure.

Squishy22
09-16-2009, 04:16 PM
People even socially chew. Yuck.

Fran27
09-16-2009, 04:17 PM
I really hope my kids won't smoke. It's one of those things that is probably going to be hard though, I mean you can try all you want to prevent them from doing it, sometimes it doesn't help... hopefully by then it's more common not to smoke so the temptation won't be there.

Squishy22
09-16-2009, 04:23 PM
My parents were chain smokers. My dad would have KILLED me if he found me smoking. I guess I learned from watching them. All their money went to it. The house was always full of smoke, it was hard for me to breath. Teachers at school accused me of smoking because I wreaked of it. I always knew that I didnt want my kids to go through the same thing.

Second hand smoke is a huge issue. Part of my family will step outside to smoke when the baby is around. My family out here in Oklahoma will light one up while they are holding her. I FUME!!

Izzy's Valkyrie
09-16-2009, 04:27 PM
My dad had to go outside to smoke because my mom never would have been with him otherwise. That and he grew up out in the country and loved any excuse to be outside. No second hand smoke for me but his coat always smelled like smoke. At least he was always considerate about his bad habit.

CaliTerp07
09-16-2009, 04:51 PM
I really don't buy the whole argument of not being allowed to drink at home makes someone a binge drinker.

I was never allowed to drink at home. I went to college, and didn't drink until I was just a couple months shy of 21, just before I graduated (and even then it was just a couple beers). Why? Because my parents instilled values into me about drinking that stuck, long after I left the house.

The kids who partied hard in high school did so because their parents gave them alcohol and told them they could have friends over (don't get me started on that!) Those are the same kids who partied hard in college.

There were a few hardcore "straight edge" or whatever you want to call it kids who went wild upon getting to college and having freedoms...but I really don't think it was the majority. Not amongst my friends at least. The ones who drank freshman & sophomore year of college (whether 1 beer or 21 beers!) were the ones who drank in high school as well.

sparks19
09-16-2009, 04:58 PM
I don't think it's all one way or the other. I'm sure there are many who drank underage who are crazy drinkers now and ones who don't reallyd rink at all now and vice versa.

I drank when I was in highschool but I didn't go out to parties and get smashed and I NEVER would DREAM of throwing a party at home while my parents were out lol but I knew kids both who were allowed to drink and home and those who weren't who threw parties while their parents were away all the time. I never really understood that.

Now I didn't hold drinking parties or anything but if I wanted to have a party at my house I just had to ask and my parents were home. But I was never embarassed of my parents either so I didn't mind my parents being around my friends like some people do. So I never felt the need to throw a party behind their backs... not saying that if you weren't allowed to have parties that you woudl throw one behind yoru parents back.

Izzy's Valkyrie
09-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Binge trends depend strongly on the college atmosphere at least in NC. There are party schools like ECU then there are more straight-edge schools like Meredith.

Some kids will take any inch of freedom to the extreme, no matter how hard their parents try to teach them better. In some universities, the population is more weighted to one end or the other of the drinking spectrum. There will always been drinkers and about any school (Probably NOT at Pensacola lol) but there are some more conducive to binging/parties.

No one said not being allowed to drink at home makes one a binge drinker upon getting freedom. They just said that getting a teen used to drinking as a social habit helps show healthy ways to handle alcohol. Just because one side of something is true (like letting a kid drink a glass of wine with dinner gets them used to it), doesn't mean the converse will be true too (not letting kids drink won't necessarily turn them into binge drinkers.).

Overall, people are people and there are a million different ways to handle family values or a lack thereof so what may be true for one family could be completely backwards to another.

Giny
09-16-2009, 05:01 PM
No smoking or drinking underage at our house.

My husband is a lot more strict on the drinking rule then I. I grew up with being allowed a sip of wine or beer from my parents glass every now and then. With my husband who grew up with an alcoholic dad, his views on it are different then mine, no way is Shawn allowed a tiny bit of a sip, and I'm glad that we keep that rule.

As for smoking, Steve's been trying to quit for a while now, it's been very difficult. He's always been an outside smoker, I don't let anyone smoke in the house or car. Steve's really respectful of others when smoking, he's constantly brushing his teeth and washing his hands...lol. I wonder too if the fact that he grew up in a very smoky house, whether that already made him a bit addicted to smoking. He never smoked before leaving his home, growing up, but as soon as he left he picked up the habit. I've always wondered that.

CaliTerp07
09-16-2009, 05:06 PM
Binge trends depend strongly on the college atmosphere at least in NC. There are party schools like ECU then there are more straight-edge schools like Meredith.

Yeah, Maryland was a big party school. Most everyone drank.

Doberluv
09-16-2009, 05:15 PM
I really don't buy the whole argument of not being allowed to drink at home makes someone a binge drinker.

I'm not sure whose post you're referring to or if you mean in general. But let me straighten out any misunderstanding my post may have caused. I do not mean that not being allowed to drink at home makes someone a binge drinker. Not at all. There are loads of contributing possibilities or variables which cause someone to have a problem with drinking. I related my personal experience and how that one variable seemed to strongly influence my habits where alcohol is involved.

Everyone is different; has a different personality, different genes, life experiences, view points....All these things and so many more contribute to what kind of outcome there will be. There is likely no single factor that will determine whether someone drinks heavily or not.

Second hand smoke is a huge issue. Part of my family will step outside to smoke when the baby is around. My family out here in Oklahoma will light one up while they are holding her. I FUME!!

Sounds like you need to stop fuming and lay down the law and stand up for your baby. This is unconscionable! I absolutely wouldn't allow it or allow my baby to be subjected to second hand smoke by anyone. If they aren't willing to go outside when they smoke, stop taking your baby there. No one has the right to ruin a helpless child's health.

Squishy22
09-16-2009, 05:29 PM
I'm not sure whose post you're referring to or if you mean in general. But let me straighten out any misunderstanding my post may have caused. I do not mean that not being allowed to drink at home makes someone a binge drinker. Not at all. There are loads of contributing possibilities or variables which cause someone to have a problem with drinking. I related my personal experience and how that one variable seemed to strongly influence my habits where alcohol is involved.

Everyone is different; has a different personality, different genes, life experiences, view points....All these things and so many more contribute to what kind of outcome there will be. There is likely no single factor that will determine whether someone drinks heavily or not.

Sounds like you need to stop fuming and lay down the law and stand up for your baby. This is unconscionable! I absolutely wouldn't allow it or allow my baby to be subjected to second hand smoke by anyone. If they aren't willing to go outside when they smoke, stop taking your baby there. No one has the right to ruin a helpless child's health.

Oh trust me I did and wont be going back (to her house). Two households that I wont be visiting ever again.

Beanie
09-16-2009, 05:43 PM
Oh, no, Doberluv, I just wanted you to know my post wasn't directed at you. I was actually writing it while you were posting. It just so happens we both used "forbidden" in quotes in our posts, LOL.
It's just a common belief. Not just with alcohol, but with sex, too. "Oh, kids in the US have sex at a young age because sex is forbidden!!" You know, to me that argument is about the same as the thread we had on here about the Darwin movie. Sex, forbidden in the US? It's everywhere. In music, on TV, in TV COMMERCIALS... it's not taboo.
And even if it were, I still don't think the argument holds water. I'm the same as CaliTerp, I don't go drinking like crazy because I was raised to understand what alcohol CAN do to somebody... and to me, it's just not attractive to go out and party and drink.
I also happen to be ridiculously fun anyway, I don't need to be drunk to be fun, which it the other "argument." "Oh, if you've had a few you loosen up, relax, and have more fun!" Uhhh... no.

But to some people binge drinking, crazy hangovers, et cetera, that IS attractive. And I don't think it really has anything to do with how they were raised... or at least, not in how they were raised when it comes to if alcohol is okay or not.

Oh, and just for fun, in one of my psych classes there was a study about drunken behaviour and how most of it is learned... fascinating. Really, really fascinating.

bubbatd
09-16-2009, 05:51 PM
How can kids afford to smoke today !!

Laurelin
09-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Agreed... and something that didn't make me feel the urge to barf immediately afterwards lol

LOL. People look at me weird when I say that. Like I am some kind of drug addict or something. I am not a drug addict, I just dont see the point in smoking something that gives you nothing in return other than stinky breath.

I am so glad I'm not the only one! :lol-sign: Of course I don't smoke so it's a moot point anyways.

Squishy22
09-16-2009, 06:14 PM
How can kids afford to smoke today !!

Roll your own. ;)

And native americans can get cigs cheaper. My mom is not native but she does go to the reservation in WA to buy cheap cigs.

4 bucks a pack normally. Outrageous.

Izzy's Valkyrie
09-16-2009, 06:36 PM
You think $4 a pack is outrageous? You should see the $7+ people shell out in NY because of the extra tobacco tax lol.

dogsarebetter
09-16-2009, 06:45 PM
I would NEVER let my child smoke. Its a horrible habbit and is sooo costly.
I have nothing against drinking. The thought of getting drunk has never crossed my mind!
Drinking with intent to get drunk IMO is horrible. I would never allow it. But there is nothing wrong with a beer on a hot day after mowing the yard, or a glass of whine with supper. And I dont have an issue with an adult taking shots... but I do not think I would let my underage child to it.
I would never drink to get drunk, but i will have a couple of shots before bed if i am having trouble relaxing.

Squishy22
09-16-2009, 08:12 PM
You think $4 a pack is outrageous? You should see the $7+ people shell out in NY because of the extra tobacco tax lol.

:yikes:

sparks19
09-16-2009, 08:30 PM
pfft... I'm pretty sure in ontario the last time I checked a pack of smokes (now that's a 25 pack so don't know if that makes a difference) costs over $10.00. A LOT of people quit just because they couldn't afford it.

Georgygirl
09-17-2009, 03:43 AM
I remember when my older brother was in high school my mom was vacuuming his room and noticed the vent in his room was missing its screws. She told my dad to go fix it and my dad got a bit suspicious. He pulled the vent cover off and found my brothers cigarette stash. So Dad pulled out the cigarettes and put a mousetrap in the vent and put the cover back on just like he found it. Dad said, "Now he'll know that I know..." :D

Dad used to chew and we all knew how hard it was for him to quit, so smoking and things like that were never tolerated. Drinking was never really a big issue. I never drank and my older brother was more of a social drinker than a "wanna get drunk" drinker so that was pretty much a non issue in our family. My parents were also "social drinkers" in their younger days so while they frowned upon underage drinking they didn't make a big deal out of it either.

Gustav
09-17-2009, 04:51 AM
I'm a smoker.. My mother is a smoker, my father was a smoker, my brother was a smoker, my sister was a smoker, my grandparents smoked, my uncles and aunties smoke.. I come from a family of smokers...

When my mother found out I smoked, what could she say to me that wouldn't have been totally hypocritical?

"Don't smoke, it's bad for you".. Well yeah, I agree mum, but it's bad for YOU too. ;)

If one day my kids wanted to smoke, then what could I possibly say to them? Yeah, your mother smokes/smoked.. But don't do it, it's bad..

I could refuse to pay for them, but I don't think I could refuse to let them do it without feeling like the worlds biggest hypocrite.

Just my thoughts..

Dizzy
09-17-2009, 05:09 AM
Well, I started going to the pub when I was about 15.

LauraLeigh
09-17-2009, 08:28 AM
From the personal experience of dating a smoker who "kept trying to quit:"

he wouldn't touch a cigarette all weekend when he was with me. Not one. He had no cravings what-so-ever for them, and he always told me Monday he would be grossed out by the taste of them.

So why does he still smoke to this day? It's a social thing. People from his office all take a break from work for 3 minutes or so, gather outside for a "cig," and talk and socialize. People at my office do the same thing. I think they feel without the ciggarette there is no reason to do it, and they actually crave the company during the day that the "cig breaks" bring with them.

Would I let my child smoke? absolutely not, and even when they're 50 they wouldn't be allowed to smoke in my house.

Would I let them drink? to a certain extent yes. If they wanted a glass of wine or beer or something with dinner or when watching tv yes. Would they be allowed to do shots? no. Would they be allowed to drink a lot with dinner? no.

It may be, for some people, but if it was just a social thing, you would not have people like myself who have tried to quit and failed, the hid my smoking, never smoking in front of everyone, sneaking away for a smoke... That is addict behavior and if it was only to be "cool" or "social" no one would closet smoke all alone....

Trust me, smoking is a nasty, horrible habit, but it is also VERY addictive and the hardest thing there is for some to give up.

smkie
09-17-2009, 09:23 AM
IT was the one thing i asked my son to please not do. We watched Jim die from lung cancer...a 20 year plus one day smoker. I know he has tried it but i don't believe he smokes. His clothes do not smell of it nor his car when he comes. He has smoke related asthma but that wouldn't have stopped him if he had chosen to go that route. Quitting was one of the hardest things i ever did and i am glad it is not a part of my life now.

puppydog
09-17-2009, 09:26 AM
I just wanted to add in, I have been a non smoker for 3 months now. I am so very proud of myself. Not one relapse! I know I am always in danger of heading back down that slope. But nope! I won't! :D

bubbatd
09-17-2009, 10:07 AM
^^^^ good for you !!!

Dakotah
09-17-2009, 11:19 AM
I'm a smoker.. My mother is a smoker, my father was a smoker, my brother was a smoker, my sister was a smoker, my grandparents smoked, my uncles and aunties smoke.. I come from a family of smokers...

When my mother found out I smoked, what could she say to me that wouldn't have been totally hypocritical?

"Don't smoke, it's bad for you".. Well yeah, I agree mum, but it's bad for YOU too. ;)

If one day my kids wanted to smoke, then what could I possibly say to them? Yeah, your mother smokes/smoked.. But don't do it, it's bad..

I could refuse to pay for them, but I don't think I could refuse to let them do it without feeling like the worlds biggest hypocrite.

Just my thoughts..

I agree.

My dad, grandma, aunts, uncles, other grandparents smoke. My mom doesn't but my stepdad chews (bleck).
I started smoking at 18, tried it 3 months before my 18th birthday and told myself if I wanted to smoke I would wait til I was legal to do so. So I did.

Squishy22
09-17-2009, 11:28 AM
pfft... I'm pretty sure in ontario the last time I checked a pack of smokes (now that's a 25 pack so don't know if that makes a difference) costs over $10.00. A LOT of people quit just because they couldn't afford it.

My mom would sell everything in her house before she quit. She would probably even sell her car. Her addiction is THAT bad.

Squishy22
09-17-2009, 11:30 AM
Well, I started going to the pub when I was about 15.

I started going to the bar at 18, but only when I was in mexico. lol.

Dakotah
09-17-2009, 11:31 AM
My mom would sell everything in her house before she quit. She would probably even sell her car. Her addiction is THAT bad.

Wow. Like I'm not bashing on your mom or anything so PLEASE don't think that, but thats crazy. My uncle was like that, but it was smokes and beer.
I enjoy smoking and I like it, but don't think I could get addicted like that.

Squishy22
09-17-2009, 12:05 PM
Wow. Like I'm not bashing on your mom or anything so PLEASE don't think that, but thats crazy. My uncle was like that, but it was smokes and beer.
I enjoy smoking and I like it, but don't think I could get addicted like that.

Shes been smoking since she was young. She has cut down ever since my step dad died of lung cancer. She smokes a half pack a day at least.

Shes pawned things in the past to get cig money. Even her wedding ring, which she lost.

When she did try quitting with chantix, she ate like crazy. Sweets... junk food. She had a void to fill. She went nuts.

FoxyWench
09-17-2009, 12:30 PM
for me...
smoking is a no no...
my dad used to smoke when i was little, and when the drs told him he was literally killing his kids (im allergic and my brother had bad asthma) he set on the path to quit...he tried everythign, nothing worked untill he saw a video, ill have to get the name of it...affter seeing it he tossed them all and never smoked again.

personally i think smoking is a discusting habit, but part of that is absolutly based on the fact that cig (including clove and cigar) smoke makes me feel sick to my stomach, i get terrible migranes, and it has induced seizures...
because of that the friends that do smoke are nice enough to do it nowehere neer me...like literally...
smoking will NEVER be allowed in my house...and i personally dont feel stepping onto the porch is far enough away so ive come to the conclusion the entirety of my property will always be a smoke free zone...
if i had kids, i know i wouldnt be able to stop them from getting them from other sources, but i also wouldnt be letting them on my property with smokes, nore would i be giving them any money for the cause.
if they want to smoke they damned well better get a job to support their habit...oh and did i mention at that point theyd be paying their way too?
id also be the kind of person to SHOW them what smoking does to people...i have no problem taking a visit to folks with lung/throat cancer...no problem doing a hands on "this is what a smokers lungs look and feel like" and absolutly no problem showing kids the cosmetic/aging effects cigs have on a body...

drinking however...
i grew up in such a way that drinking was never a problem...even at a young age, watered down wine, the occasional sip of beer ect...but always under parental supervision, in the saftey and comfort of my own home. it was never taboo, never a no-no...
but responsible drinking was taught...that a social drink is fine...ect...

personally i dont see the point of getting drunk...if im going out to have a good time, 1: i dont NEED to drink to have fun...2: if im going for a fun night out...id like to remember it and 3: the potential side effects of a hangover....is it worth it for a night you harley remember?!

i seriously dont need to get drunk to have fun...plain and simple and that same belife would be placed on any future offspring...
luckily my kids are furry, so the talk of smoking and alkihol dont realy come up...